What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoke it. DW and I don’t even like fish, but decided to try some at a party. Didn’t know what it was but it was good. Thought it was some type of salmon but was told later that it was smoked trout.

I brought another cutthroat home to day. I don't have a smoker any more, but I'm marinating 1 half of the fish in liquid smoke and oil, the other half in teriyaki.

Another amazing day of fishing.

CGxJyBx.jpg

Sixteen trout and steelhead, one 18" long (biggest trout I've caught).

Also, I saw a battle between a river otter and a cormorant. I don't know if the otter was going to eat the bird or just wanted to eliminate competition. The cormorant got away, but could no longer fly.

I brought another cutthroat home to day. I don't have a smoker any more, but I'm marinating 1 half of the fish in liquid smoke and oil, the other half in teriyaki.

Another amazing day of fishing.

Sixteen trout and steelhead, one 18" long (biggest trout I've caught).
I bought a neat smoker for my BBQ at Lowes.. It is a metal triangular box that fits between the burners. You fill it with whatever kind of wood chips you like. We use Oak, Hickory and Mesquite.

... I'm marinating 1 half of the fish in liquid smoke and oil, the other half in teriyaki.

The one with the liquid smoke was pretty good--not great. The teriyaki half was good for a bite or two, then it wasn't good.

Back to the high-country boondocks home today. Temperature: 71F. No longer in dry heat. It's now dry cool.

Got this add in the mail today. First time I've seen "Purchase with your 401k or retirement accounts" as a suggested means of financing.

Soon we'll see "We take souls and first born children as trade-ins. Bring yours in and let us make you an offer." :nonono:

One detail is you can't personally use it or you'd be "self dealing", which is a prohibited transaction! Not only should you stay away, but anyone advertising this would, IMHO, be in the questionable category!

We went to a beerfest and cornhole tournament on the flight deck of the USS Hornet, which is now a museum docked in Alameda. We talked to one of the docents who used to be a pilot on the Hornet in the 1950s. We had nice sunny weather, pretty views of the San Francisco skyline and much of the surrounding area, and all we could drink craft beer from local breweries so it was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon.

Yesterday I made some breadrolls from almond flour. Today for breakfast I boiled eggs to eat with them and added a pinch of sweet norwegian caviar.

Made me :)

And to follow up from the other thread I also had two cups of coffee made the Melitta way - with a little white splash.

I drove to Denver yesterday and sold my little sports car - Audi TT. The drive up to Denver and back made a long day. Had lunch with the folks who bought the car. They are friends of friends. It was a nice day long drive and all.

We went to a music crawl in Napa with live music at 35 different venues within walking distance along the river and in the downtown area. We had nice sunny day and found a surf band and a classic rock band that we especially enjoyed.

Got two permanent crowns glued on. #8 and #9. Now need to make appointment for cleaning to maintain warranty.

Two doctor appointments, one with the primary care as routine follow up, and one with the oncologist for follow up on the melanoma surgery last year.

We're having localized flooding from heavy rains so we had to make two detours there and back.

Came home, ate lunch, then DW wanted to make a chocolate cake and she wanted me to help her. That way, later on she can blame me if she gains any weight from eating chocolate cake.:D

Doctor appointment for me also. Skin dr yearly checklist. All is well. Spent the rest of the day putting down hardwood flooring.

.... Also, I saw a battle between a river otter and a cormorant. I don't know if the otter was going to eat the bird or just wanted to eliminate competition. The cormorant got away, but could no longer fly.

Too bad the cormorant got away, I hate cormorants.

One detail is you can't personally use it or you'd be "self dealing", which is a prohibited transaction! Not only should you stay away, but anyone advertising this would, IMHO, be in the questionable category!

I think what the ad intended was that people would cash out their 401k (and pay any tax and penalty) to buy the property.

If you are on twitter, today is a good morning to follow along with Ari Fleischer. As the former Press Secretary, each 9/11 he recounts that morning, step by step, following along with then President Bush, from the first moments the planes took off, and offers a fascinating insider view of what was happening from a rare perspective.

(even if you're not on twitter, I think you can go to his account and read his timeline: https://twitter.com/AriFleischer, scroll down to the start of today and read upwards if not familiar with the format).

Back from a week on Oahu celebrating our anniversary (#40!), now on to Seattle to visit a friend from high school.
Also gave notice at work to stop my on call days. I am re-retiring!

As I showered and went to brush my teeth the water stopped running from the faucet! This is not good, there's a water company truck, backhoe and crews outside. DW calls water department and they have no clues other than their phones are ringing.

I go to gym and learn some of my neighbors are also without of water. Fourty five minutes on the elipictal and a few sets of some different weights today. Call DW, she says we still have no water. She's talked to the foreman, he thinks 3-4 hours till the water is back. I get 5 gallons and by the time I'm home it's fixed. Apparently they were adding service to a home under construction and took out the whole development.

After lunch DW wanted to go for a walk, we walked down to the bottom of the canyon below our house. Since we saw a mountain lion before the holiday she won't go on trails unless I'm carrying. I'm going to look at a local place for a better holster, a pistol shifting around isn't great while walking. While it was only 1.5 miles, parts were very tricky, partially because of horses. You only drop 250 feet down, but it happens rapidly. Of course the way back is more fun.

As I showered and went to brush my teeth the water stopped running from the faucet! This is not good, there's a water company truck, backhoe and crews outside. DW calls water department and they have no clues other than their phones are ringing.

I go to gym and learn some of my neighbors are also without of water. Fourty five minutes on the elipictal and a few sets of some different weights today. Call DW, she says we still have no water. She's talked to the foreman, he thinks 3-4 hours till the water is back. I get 5 gallons and by the time I'm home it's fixed. Apparently they were adding service to a home under construction and took out the whole development.

After lunch DW wanted to go for a walk, we walked down to the bottom of the canyon below our house. Since we saw a mountain lion before the holiday she won't go on trails unless I'm carrying. I'm going to look at a local place for a better holster, a pistol shifting around isn't great while walking. While it was only 1.5 miles, parts were very tricky, partially because of horses. You only drop 250 feet down, but it happens rapidly. Of course the way back is more fun.
The canyon behind the Ranch is the Platt River canyon. It drops over 2000 ft in a couple of miles. I haven't hiked it yet, but it is a lot of fun in my Jeep!

Around noon the weather forecast for Friday was for tropical storm winds so after the gym we stopped at the grocery store and I filled five 5-gallon gas cans (already had one full) for the generator, and we bought some mostly non-perishable groceries.

Then when we get home the forecast is for 30% chance of rain. Oh well, we'll burn the gas anyway in the car and pickup.

We have to go back down to the metropolitan home for my wife to take her mother to a doctor's appointment in a couple of days.

No longer in "dry cool". Back to the "dry heat".

If you are on twitter, today is a good morning to follow along with Ari Fleischer. As the former Press Secretary, each 9/11 he recounts that morning, step by step, following along with then President Bush, from the first moments the planes took off, and offers a fascinating insider view of what was happening from a rare perspective.
Thank you, I will check this out.

I have been following James Woods. I'm not sure how well known it is, but he was on a flight the week before that turned out to be a trial run for the 9/11 hijackers. He was so suspicious of what they were doing that he called the FBI to report it. Unfortunately, before 9/11, a report like that was not given any priority.

I had one of those "cascade" days.

Someone had spilled some milk on the shelf in the fridge and it had dried into that gray crud. I decided to clean it instead of letting the DW handle it. So, I emptied that shelf and pulled it out of the fridge to clean it in the sink.

Then I decided to clean the other shelves while I was at it. So, I went to the garage, got the cooler, emptied the contents of the other shelves into the cooler, and pulled the other shelves to clean them as well.

With all the shelves out, I could see how crumbs, drips, and other crud had accumulated on the top of the bins on the bottom of the fridge. So, as long as I had already pulled the shelves, I went ahead and emptied all the bins and pulled them out for cleaning as well.

As long as I was at it, I pulled all the small shelves off the fridge doors to give them a good cleaning too.

Since I had stripped the fridge of all its innards, I cleaned the entire inside of the fridge before attending to the shelves and bins. I was amazed at how much crud found its way into every track and groove. I had to get a small-edged tool to push a sponge and paper towels into all those crevices.

About 3 hours later, I finished my 5-minute cleaning task. :D

Home improvement, put together metal bed from Birch Lane (so many parts!) and dragged in the bed in box we ordered. (Fixing up possible retirement home in CT). Damn those things are heavy! Rest of the day into the evening painting...

This stuff used to be easier and didn’t take so long! As DW is at our primary home must fend for myself in cooking, laundry etc and that really cuts into productivity!

And of course I just miss her!

I had one of those "cascade" days.

Someone had spilled some milk on the shelf in the fridge and it had dried into that gray crud. I decided to clean it instead of letting the DW handle it. So, I emptied that shelf and pulled it out of the fridge to clean it in the sink.

Then I decided to clean the other shelves while I was at it. So, I went to the garage, got the cooler, emptied the contents of the other shelves into the cooler, and pulled the other shelves to clean them as well.

With all the shelves out, I could see how crumbs, drips, and other crud had accumulated on the top of the bins on the bottom of the fridge. So, as long as I had already pulled the shelves, I went ahead and emptied all the bins and pulled them out for cleaning as well.

As long as I was at it, I pulled all the small shelves off the fridge doors to give them a good cleaning too.

Since I had stripped the fridge of all its innards, I cleaned the entire inside of the fridge before attending to the shelves and bins. I was amazed at how much crud found its way into every track and groove. I had to get a small-edged tool to push a sponge and paper towels into all those crevices.

About 3 hours later, I finished my 5-minute cleaning task.
I read the description of your travails to DW, who said in her past life she used to do that thorough job regularly. Now, since she does not ovulate any more, it has fallen by the wayside and she wants to know if it is that time of the month for you?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom