What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flew a mother and her 17 year ol daughter home after consultations at UCLA for the girl's cleft palate. I had also flown them last year on another Angel Flight and they remembered us.:)

Happy Birthday, Nemo. Enjoy your trip. I am looking forward to the pictures.

I spent an hour this afternoon purging one of my closets and getting rid of ill-fitting and dated clothes that I'll never wear again.

Also had band practice tonight...one of my bands is playing at a charity gig for Make A Wish on Saturday and one of the guitarists will be out of town for work so the guitarist from one of my other bands came down to run through the set with us.

Left the studio before dawn and wandered the winding alleys of Toulouse; before returning 'home' for a break, dropped into a department store supermarket for provisions.

The initial activity served as research for the latter, which reinforced my long held thesis that the aisles in French/Spanish, et al, supermarkets are carry overs from the early days of serpentine lanes designed to confuse invaders.

Straight lines are incompatible with the psyche.

I went to get a hot stone massage, my right shoulder was a bit stiff, it must be something I did in badminton. After 2 hour massage I’m still sore. If this shoulder is not improving, I will call my acupuncture Monday.

Preseason game w/DH tonight. Will be taking DGS and DGD Sunday. It will be her 1st game.

Attachments

• IMG_1378.JPG
    IMG_1378.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 42
Greetings,

Today is my very first FIREd day. My last official work day was yesterday. So far I’ve greeted the morning with a hot cup of Baileys and Coffee and watched the sun rise, smugly complimenting myself while waiting for the rest of the world to wake up.

I am now thinking to myself, „Oh crap what have I done?!!“ It’s one thing to plan obsessively about being retired, but another thing entirely once you get there!

Greetings,

Today is my very first FIREd day. My last official work day was yesterday. So far I’ve greeted the morning with a hot cup of Baileys and Coffee and watched the sun rise, smugly complimenting myself while waiting for the rest of the world to wake up.

I am now thinking to myself, „Oh crap what have I done?!!“ It’s one thing to plan obsessively about being retired, but another thing entirely once you get there!
Congratulations on your retirement! You're going to love it. The first day or two were a little shaky for me, too. I didn't know what to do with myself. Going to the gym helped, in my case. After a couple of days I felt better about it and I hope you do, too.

Greetings,

Congratulations! Life will be ok, and you'll enjoy it.
Proof: I am still working, and can enjoy each day. Wish I had the free time you do. Time > money, as most know.

I went to a Paul McCartney concert last night. At most concerts you're luck to get 90 minutes. McCartney took the stage at 8:20 and played non-stop (except for a 2 minute break before an encore) until 11:10. The show was 10 minutes shy of 3 full hours.

Greetings,

Congratulations!
Many will find once they get there that is no there.

I recently volunteered at a exotic bird rescue facility and will be inspecting homes before people are allowed to adopt or foster them. The trainer came up to my house and we went through a check list of things to look for and ask about. I had no idea birds were so sensitive to so many things.

I recently volunteered at a exotic bird rescue facility and will be inspecting homes before people are allowed to adopt or foster them. The trainer came up to my house and we went through a check list of things to look for and ask about. I had no idea birds were so sensitive to so many things.
The ole canary in the coal mine. It's very true how sensitive they are.

A plumber friend dropped by and I helped him re-route our sump pump and laundry room drainage. It had previously been going out under the driveway to a leech field. That is over 30 years old and has given up the ghost (wasn't properly installed anyway).
We were getting gurgling drains bad and also bad smells.

We cut and capped the drain to the leech. Rerouted the washer and laundry sinks into the sump pit. Installed a new, higher fractional HP sump pump, put an ABS line up into the ceiling and then through a joist into an adjoining room (I had to make a 3x3' hole in the ceiling). Then we ran a drain line 24 feet through the ceiling (luckily no obstructions) into the back utility room where he hooked it into the sanitary drain line out to the septic tank. All done except the clean up and ceiling patch.

He also showed me where I could hook in a water softener to the house line after the pressure tank but before the water heater. DW wants softer water since the well water is pretty hard. Me, I could care less but then I am almost bald and have skin like an alligator anyway.... lol

Continued putting the garden to bed for the winter, which today entailed pulling up the determinate varieties of tomato and putting away their cages. I see a plate of fried green tomatoes in my immediate future. The indeterminate Sungold tomatoes we'll leave for a little longer. We harvested all of the remaining carrots and will likely can some of them tonight. And we took down our cucumber trellis.

Our peppers and okra are still flowering, so we harvested what was ready and left them to produce a few more over the next several weeks. We are also waiting on our sweet potatoes for the first frost. We're hoping the Brussels sprouts might be ready in a few weeks, but they are looking a little small right now.

As we finish off each growing bed, I turn the soil, work in some manure and plant clover as a winter cover crop. I'll till it into the soil as a green manure in the spring.

I also need to install some more subterranean fence to keep the groundhogs out. Two weeks ago, they got in and ate half of our winter squash, and mangled the Brussels sprouts. I'd like to just shoot the little bastards, but that is not practical here in the middle of town.

Had a bonus day on the river. The water was high enough that they needed a guide in every raft, so a call for help went out on Friday. I decided to go out but DH stayed home. He missed a real good day: nice weather with high water. Then I got a very generous tip to top it off!

I went to the farmers market, got some very fresh oyster mushrooms, some plums and 3 different kinds of jujube. Now I have to decide which type of jujube tree to add to my yard.

In the afternoon, while my husband is painting the cabinet for the downstairs bathroom, I cleaned up one corner so we can make room for the Xmas tree in Nov/Dec. We are either donating or throwing away the old furniture. The problem with this old furniture is that it lasts for a very long time, nothing wrong with it, except it is not fitting with our current house.

I went to the farmers market, got some very fresh oyster mushrooms, some plums and 3 different kinds of jujube. Now I have to decide which type of jujube tree to add to my yard.

WOW... you can grow jujubes ??!! :cool:

How about wine gums ? :LOL:

Attachments

• jujubes.jpg
    jujubes.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 64
Wandered around Toulouse, encountered some kind of motorcycle rally, (mostly old(er) guys); don't know at what point of the procession we got in, but figured there had to be maybe 2-300 bikes.

The longer we're in Toulouse the more we like it.....perhaps on a level with Porto, certainly more than Lisbon, (and for our tastes probably more than Paris....which is too damn crowded).

One of my bands played a charity gig last night for Make A Wish...just one short set as we were one of four bands, but everything was supplied so we just had to show up, plug in, and play.

Great Pumpkin Mystery

Yesterday when I got home from the gym I noticed a good-sized pumpkin on the front porch and assumed that DW bought it while I was at the gym. (She usually goes with me but didn't yesterday.)

So I said something to her about getting a nice pumpkin, and her response was "I thought you bought it". So now we're wondering what neighbor likes us enough to give us a pumpkin, or perhaps we've had a visitation from The Great Pumpkin himself.

Investigation to continue....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom