What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold rainy day here, about as cold as it can be and still not have any ice. We stayed inside, the only times I went out were to get the newspaper and the mail. On days like this I am soooo glad to be retired!

Yesterday... we asked Alexa what time out local BJs opened and she told us 9am... DW went and found out that for Black Friday they opened two hours early... so the Samsung Galaxy 10.1" tablet that was on my list was sold out both at the store and on-line... but I did find and order it on-line from BestBuy for only $10 more.

Later in the day we watched "The Match... Tiger vs Phil" with 5 other friends and helped the friends get rid of Thanksgiving Day leftovers. Fun.

Today, golfed and had lunch with another couple, and then fell asleep on the recliner while watching college football. Life is good.

Got the Xmas decorations down from the attic. Tried to convince DW that about 1/2 of them need to "go". Basically got nowhere meaningful with that except that two old artificial Christmas trees stored away really should be given to someone else (anyone who will take them). I also cut up some empty boxes we have been storing in the attic for years.

Now watching college football and later tonight meeting DD and her DH for Mexican food.

The kids left eaflier this afternoon. I really enjoyed them spending Thanksgiving and the weekend up here and I think they did too. It gives them a chance to get away from the city and really relax. I know that when I go to the big city it just winds me up especially with the push of other drivers always in a major hurry to get where they are going and the 24 hour noise even in a "quiet" neighborhood.

Now that they are gone, I took a few minutes to lay out the stair stringers so I could get the stairs put in. Unfortunately, the 16 foot boards are a few inches too short. :( I will have to take the truck into town to replace them with 20 foot boards.

Just finished cleaning 12 inches of snow off my 400 ft driveway. Snow blower didn't work well as it was very heavy snow so did a lot of shoveling. No heart attack but I am so sore it will probably take two days to recover.

The kids left eaflier this afternoon. I really enjoyed them spending Thanksgiving and the weekend up here and I think they did too. It gives them a chance to get away from the city and really relax. I know that when I go to the big city it just winds me up especially with the push of other drivers always in a major hurry to get where they are going and the 24 hour noise even in a "quiet" neighborhood.

Now that they are gone, I took a few minutes to lay out the stair stringers so I could get the stairs put in. Unfortunately, the 16 foot boards are a few inches too short. :( I will have to take the truck into town to replace them with 20 foot boards.
I carefully laid out the stairs on one of the 16 ft boards and I have a couple inches to spare. [emoji2] That means I didn't have to make a trip to town. Instead, with some help from a friend, I flushed the hydraulic cylinders on the plow and put my spare pump on the truck so my plow is now up and running.

Shoveled the sidewalk of the wettest heaviest snow we’ve ever had—like we had giant slurpees dropped on us. Then picked out new wood blinds for two bedrooms and black-out honeycomb shades for the other to finish off our upstairs remodel. A good friend of our daughter’s since high school has a window coverings company so it was great to give her our business and catch up with her—lots of hugs. After being the mean mom back in the day, I’m touched that a lot of our kids’ friends call me their favorite. Life is good.

.... Now that they are gone, I took a few minutes to lay out the stair stringers so I could get the stairs put in. Unfortunately, the 16 foot boards are a few inches too short. :( I will have to take the truck into town to replace them with 20 foot boards.

I carefully laid out the stairs on one of the 16 ft boards and I have a couple inches to spare. [emoji2] That means I didn't have to make a trip to town. ....

That gives new meaning to "measure twice".... "trip none". :D

Had a knock on the door and two policemen had a warrant for my daughter's arrest for a felony fraud. They took her into the county jail and over to the courthouse for a preliminary hearing.

A burglar broke into our lake house this Summer and stole my daughter's billfold and driver's license. They then used the driver's license as identification on a large purchase, and they had the perp's picture on videotape. The problem is that my daughter long ago obtained a duplicate driver's license, and it was not that license used by the burglar. And it was not her on CCTV making the purchase.

She got out at 3:00 p.m. on her own recognicence but is going to still have to make a court appearance in Circuit Court to explain the situation. Needless to say, she was upset.

Had a knock on the door and two policemen had a warrant for my daughter's arrest for a felony fraud. They took her into the county jail and over to the courthouse for a preliminary hearing.

A burglar broke into our lake house this Summer and stole my daughter's billfold and driver's license. They then used the driver's license as identification on a large purchase, and they had the perp's picture on videotape. The problem is that my daughter long ago obtained a duplicate driver's license, and it was not that license used by the burglar. And it was not her on CCTV making the purchase.

She got out at 3:00 p.m. on her own recognicence but is going to still have to make a court appearance in Circuit Court to explain the situation. Needless to say, she was upset.

So sorry to hear that happened. That must have been very frightening for her. Too bad they didn't check the video first.

Last edited:
Today we went to Chabot Space and Science Museum for a viewing party for the landing of the Mars Insight probe in the planeterium. We saw the first picture the probe sent back - 33 million miles away, so that was way cool. There several TV crews there filming the event. The local ABC news report is here.

Later on we took one of the kids to the airport to return home after spending the holiday with us.

So neither the retailer nor the police noticed that the person on CCTV making the purchase and the picture on the driver's license were different people? WTF?

What is the purpose of giving picture ID to a retailer if they don't at least check the picture on the ID with the person standing directly in front of them?

It's a good thing that there isn't a law against stupidity.

Amazon lost my bargain Instant Pot. sadness
But today they found it. joy

So now I am looking at a delivery map, which I have never seen before. It has a picture of a little Instant Pot at the top, and a dot on the map for where the driver is. The dot just changed to "1 stop away". I am glued to the map.

Will the Instant Pot come in time to start yogurt overnight, or to boil those easy-to-peel eggs y'all rave about? It's a nail-biter.

Amazon lost my bargain Instant Pot. sadness
But today they found it. joy

So now I am looking at a delivery map, which I have never seen before. It has a picture of a little Instant Pot at the top, and a dot on the map for where the driver is. The dot just changed to "1 stop away". I am glued to the map.

Will the Instant Pot come in time to start yogurt overnight, or to boil those easy-to-peel eggs y'all rave about? It's a nail-biter.

How exciting! I am so glad they found it. :D

Went down to the springs today. It was all of 27° when we got there. We walked to the far end with another couple who were on vacation. They were about our age.

Ended up in the same spring they did and after a while I saw her doing what I thought was tai chi, I eventually asked and she responded it's qigong. I had my first class on qigong last week, she was very interesting to chat with. She freely shared her knowledge and I learned a lot from her. She was into a variety of eastern medicine practices.

As we were talking her husband said to look up as a Bald Eagle flew by. It was 30 feet away from us! Came back 5 minutes later.

DW and I just walked our circle it's an awesome day outside. Maybe time for coffee.

Will the romance never end?

Ordered DW an electric snow thrower, on sale at HD for $110 + sales tax.

What, you bought your WIFE a snow thrower? When you already have a nice Ariens two-stage gas powered one that will throw snow almost into the next county? I can just hear the comments from her female cousins - "You lazy jerk! Get off your butt and do something useful around there!"

Well, here's the issue: When it snows, I'm in the camp of "let it snow until it's done, then I only have to clear it once". DW on the other hand gets a bee in her bonnet and will grab the snow shovel after the first inch and say "I'm just going to clear the front porch and steps". Then it's "Well, I was out there, so I just went ahead and did the walkway". After that it's "I just wanted to clear a little bit of the driveway" and she ends up doing the whole thing. Twice, maybe three times as the snow continues to fall.

And to top it all off, then for the next three days she complains about her sore back.:confused:

So I asked her if she wanted an electric one (weighs ~30 lbs) to avoid all that and she agreed. We'll see how this works out.:)

Attachments

• snow-joe-electric-snow-blowers-sj619e-64_1000.jpg
    snow-joe-electric-snow-blowers-sj619e-64_1000.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 47
I've never had an electric one but we did have one about that size for a while that was gas powered and did a good job on light snowfalls.

I'm with you... wait until it stops and do it once. My dad was in the camp of "The good Lord put it there.... he'll eventually take it away".

When it snows, I'm in the camp of "let it snow until it's done, then I only have to clear it once".

Very sensible.

I'll never forget the mayor of NYC, John Lindsay. Back in the 60s there was a huge blizzard and the city's snow removal efforts were rather anemic. Besieged by citizens and reporters to do something about it, he made the famous remark "God put it there, and God will take it away."

Poor guy didn't have much of a political career after that. :LOL:

Very sensible.

I'll never forget the mayor of NYC, John Lindsay. Back in the 60s there was a huge blizzard and the city's snow removal efforts were rather anemic. Besieged by citizens and reporters to do something about it, he made the famous remark "God put it there, and God will take it away."

Poor guy didn't have much of a political career after that. [emoji23]
So can we assume that Walt won't be going into politics anytime soon?

pb4uski said:
What is the purpose of giving picture ID to a retailer if they don't at least check the picture on the ID with the person standing directly in front of them?

It's a good thing that there isn't a law against stupidity.

+1

The 1st Law of Human Stupidity: Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.

+1

The 1st Law of Human Stupidity: Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.

George Carlin didn't. ;)

Very sensible.

Poor guy didn't have much of a political career after that. :LOL:

There was a Mayor of Buffalo (Jimmy Griffin) who after one of our blizzards said a most elegant statement about snow and being unable to move till the plows came; "Grap a six pack and stay home till it melts". I always remember that especially now that I'm retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom