What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a Mayor of Buffalo (Jimmy Griffin) who after one of our blizzards said a most elegant statement about snow and being unable to move till the plows came; "Grap a six pack and stay home till it melts". I always remember that especially now that I'm retired.
If it's genny cream I'm in.[emoji1]

Worked on the ground-mount solar panel installation in the backyard all day.

Then, drove to my favorite French restaurant for dinner with my children, and the son-in-law's parents. Spent 2-1/2 hours there, just like a dinner in a European restaurant. Just got home, and surfed the Web a bit in bed before dozing off.

Aside from recovering from yesterday, I put the finishing touches on our trip story about our Hawaiian cruise Here it is::

Thanks Steve... still savoring your website. Whenever I get down I go to a different adventure... Perks me up!.

I even have my kids going to the site. A great way to pick out destinations, for when they retire.

Yesterday was weird, I believe I had another TGA(transient global amnesia) event. I don't recall anything from after our workout Thursday morning till Friday morning. Apparently after our workout we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and I had chille verde. Friday noon DW asked me to make her a salad and I discovered the leftover chille, absolutely had no idea how it got there! I had to ask DW when we brought it home! She's seen me in a TGA before and said it was just like the last one 10+ years ago.

ETA: She said the realization of what was going on was a little after lunch. I went to the grocery store with a list of 3 items. I lost the list and called twice in a couple minutes asking what was I supposed to do?

One of the documented triggers to a TGA is exercise. I guess gym Thursday was the trigger. Other than a pretty good headache I'm feeling fine now.

Last edited:
Christmas Lights!

46134198331_86a7b8d937_o.jpg

Did workout at Y, went to the local bowling alley/bar/restaurant (yes all in one) for breakfast. Mounted winter wheels/tires on the Suburban. Took pics of Jaguar wheels with snow tires and posted on craigslist, since I no longer have tha car.. Read and posted stuff on this ER forum.

Gym day for us. DW put up the four foot Christmas tree, which means taking the trash bag off, bringing it upstairs and placing on a table, and plugging it in. She did a fine job.

I FINALLY flushed the on-demand water heater. I went two years between flushes when it should be done every year.

I hate doing it, but this year, I realized that by buying a submersible water pump, the procedure was much less messy. I'd used a little pump that connects to my drill in the past.

From now on, every 9 months or so.

WRo2EGx.png

We saw a local theater production of Great Expectations last night. Today was a holiday symphony concert. We went to Costco in the evening for gas, groceries and bought ourselves a Napa wine pass for an early Christmas present.

Sprayed Snow Jet spray on the two snow shovels and the moving bits of the snow blower. It reduces the amount of snow that sticks to those items when moving snow. Other solutions I've read about are Pam cooking spray and car wax, but I haven't tried those myself. I did notice that when clearing the five inches of snow just before Thanksgiving the snow didn't stick to the snow blower, that coating was left over from last year. So I figured "can't hurt, might help" and put on some more.

I finished all the yard work that I’m going to do this year. Finished raking leaves, cleared out the last flower bed and pruned off the last bushes that get cut down for the winter. We had a great day today hitting over 55 degrees with a bit of sun. Good wrap up weather. Christmas lights are up outside, lawn equipment is put up and the snowblower is gassed, started, and ready to go. Hoping I don’t have to use it anytime soon. Temp not getting out of the 30’s for at least the 7 day forecast. Time to focus indoors.

Replaced the front brakes (pads, rotors, hardware) and did an oil change on our 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has 84,000 trouble free miles on it.:)

Last night my college student son took me to The Grains ' 50th Anniversary Concert. They are North Carolina State University's male acapella group. Members from all 50 years performed. It was a fantastic Christmas present ($10 for the two of us.). What a blast! Also got to visit with the girl who will be my future daughter-in-law, just my prediction. ;)

Was a warm and sunny day. 60F. Took the dog for a walk. Cleaned up the yard. Our trees are beautiful but pay the price in the fall. Also replaced a couple of strands of Christmas lights including the set on my high eaves. DS was helping with the ladder and I told him that this was one of those special times - the last time I would be up there replacing that strand. Also blew out all the eavestroughs while I was dare doing.

DH and I flew home from San Antonio. We had a 5 day trip sightseeing. The down side is we both came down with colds darn it!

I helped my girlfriend move into a new townhouse yesterday. She hired movers to do the bulk of it, but we still ended up with 8 pickup truck loads of odds and ends.

This doesn't rise to the level of a pet peeve, but I hope everyone is watching out for distracted drivers during this holiday season.

I was out for my run this morning and a guy blew through a stop sign and very nearly ran me down. If I hadn't swerved at the last second I would have been flattened. Not a nice way to start the day.

He then pulled over, opened his window and yelled "Sorry!" so I guess I have to forgive him. But things like this really get your attention and I know I'll be extra careful for the next couple of weeks.

This doesn't rise to the level of a pet peeve, but I hope everyone is watching out for distracted drivers during this holiday season.

I was out for my run this morning and a guy blew through a stop sign and very nearly ran me down. If I hadn't swerved at the last second I would have been flattened. Not a nice way to start the day.

He then pulled over, opened his window and yelled "Sorry!" so I guess I have to forgive him. But things like this really get your attention and I know I'll be extra careful for the next couple of weeks.
An important reminder. That he was aware and stopped is a bit shocking. More often than not they just continue on, oblivious to their surroundings.

I was just commenting to my brother yesterday that I’ve become too reliant on listening for the sound of autos instead if always looking in all directions. So many cars running on battery in my urban area, not looking can be fatal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom