What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday, 10/4 marked 1 year since my last chemo treatment.

Today (10/7) I went for my 1-year recheck - got a clean bill of health. Feeling very grateful today.

:dance::dance:

Congratulations! Good to hear the great news.

Today, we went paddling on the Big Lake. Ran into a friends from the boat club. Went to dinner with them after. Great conversation about epic snow bird trips for 2020. One of the guys is also Fired. Good times!

Friday, 10/4 marked 1 year since my last chemo treatment.

Today (10/7) I went for my 1-year recheck - got a clean bill of health. Feeling very grateful today.

:dance::dance:

How wonderful for you!

Today: sunny and 70, it’s a miracle, especially this year! Long 2 hr bike ride with DW. Veg dinner and Wine out back

I finished cutting up about a cord of wood for a friend. He just got a much smaller stove for his tiny home. I cut the rounds 10 to 12 inches long to fit. In past years he has had to open all the doors and windows while burning in his wood stove. This year he should use a lot less wood. :)

I really, really, did NOT want to go to the gym today. Yesterday I spent hours (well, it seemed that way) sitting cross-legged on the shower pan getting the rest of the old caulking off, cleaning where it was, and then taping off and applying new silicone caulk. I did this one side at a time, knowing that if I stayed there for more than 15 - 20 minutes or so at a time there was a good chance I wouldn't be able to get out by myself.

This morning my joints were making it perfectly clear that I am not as flexible as I once was and that I'd better think long and hard before attempting to do any more of that foolishness in the future.:(

But going to the gym did help.

A bit frustrated today.

I got a new phone a couple weeks ago. Immediately ordered a case via Amazon that when I clicked on submit I didn't notice was on the slow boat from China so would not be delivered for 3 weeks. Tried to cancel the next day once I noticed but it was too late since they had already been shipped so I decided to just wait for it since I had no other choice. DW's case came yesterday. Mine in another couple days. So the other day I am taking a nap and wake up and get up and the new phone falls on the floor.... must have ended up beside me on the bed. A while later I notice a hairline crack across the bottom part of the screen! :facepalm:

It is really slight so I'll live with it but I normally keep a phone for 3+ years and it will annoy me everytime I see it.

Then today I'm going through the carwash and drive up to the thing where you order and pay and hear a crunch... I think I rapped the front wheel on the curb... so I order and pay and am waiting for the car in front of me and back up to see how badly I scratched the wheel... it wasn't the wheel... there is a little change thing that sticks out about 3" from the stantion for change for those who use cash that caught the front fender just in front of the wheel! :facepalm::facepalm:

Ugh!

Busy day today. Annual well woman checkup (got my flu shot while I was there). Went to flooring store to pick out samples for replacing wood floors damaged by toilet leaking during our trip last month. Then to Lowe's to get different screws to install the shelving in my new closet (formerly water heater - see http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/flooring-a-new-closet-99943.html). (Lowe's guy actually recommended using washers with the original screws, which worked great.)

After lunch, went to the gym. Came home and finished installing the shelving - fortunately DS was home last weekend and helped me get the wall brackets started (how we found out we needed bigger screws or washers). Very happy with my new closet! Pictures in thread linked above.

Now it's time for a glass of wine and then making grilled stuffed pork chops for dinner.

Went and laid in the sun on Pacifica beach ( near San Fran) had a huge double burger and sweet potato fries at The Habbit, then went shopping at the dollar store.

New water heater installed. Took 3 and a half hours.

48867145748_400db27463_o.jpg

Filled and fired right up. No gas or water leaks. I rock!

Drove north as far as the road goes. We went through a lot of open range and met some cool cows and wild turkeys. Some of the foliage has started to turn.20191008_112154.jpeg20191008_113425.jpeg

Had my last infusion today and that completes a whole year of active cancer treatment. It's been a very long long year. I hope to recover from much of the awful side effects and hope they are not permanent. Now it's 5 years of aromatase inhibitors with a new batch of nasty side effects.

Yuck , I'm ready for a new and much better year.

Had my last infusion today and that completes a whole year of active cancer treatment. It's been a very long long year. I hope to recover from much of the awful side effects and hope they are not permanent. Now it's 5 years of aromatase inhibitors with a new batch of nasty side effects.

That's excellent news! Congratulations on completing the year of treatment. That is a hard-won milestone, I know.

Here's to a wonderful year ahead for you.

Congrats. From one cancer survivor to another (10 years last Nov.!!), You CAN beat this...... Keep the faith and optimism, it is important....

I attended a 2-hour "informational seminar" about Medicare at the Family Medicine practice where my PCP practices. It's a public service they provide as part of their outreach to the community.

I am a year away from Medicare, but I'm doing my research now.

It was interesting, and although it didn't present a lot of new-to-me information, it did "put it all together" in one easy-to-navigate slideshow, which they emailed to all the attendees afterwards. They also had handouts and snacks - woo hoo! :dance: :D

The main presenter was from the local SHIIP office (Seniors Health Insurance Information Program) and she really knew her stuff. I was surprised at some of the questions from the audience, but then I realized that not everyone has had the benefit of the free Medicare education I have received on this site from those who have "been there, done that" and been kind enough to share their knowledge with others who are coming up behind them. :D

They even had some pretty nice raffle prizes for those whose ticket numbers they called. My life long luck held firm there, and I didn't win a thing. :LOL:

It was a good excuse to leave w#ork two hours early, and I did learn a couple of things, so it was time well spent.

If I'm not mistaken, every state has a SHIIP program in place. They will meet one-on-one with folks to help them navigate the Medicare Maze when the time comes. I guess that is similar to what Boomer Benefits does, but in this case you get a real live person to talk to.

Edited to add: apparently SHIIP is called by different names in different states.

https://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/directories/National/SHIP/

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, every state has a SHIIP program in place. They will meet one-on-one with folks to help them navigate the Medicare Maze when the time comes. I guess that is similar to what Boomer Benefits does, but in this case you get a real live person to talk to.

Edited to add: apparently SHIIP is called by different names in different states.

That looks like a very interesting/useful site. Thanks for posting!

I’ve bookmarked it and will share with friends. I hope it doesn’t stay buried in the “What did you do today?” thread (although it sounds like a great “thing to do”!).

That looks like a very interesting/useful site. Thanks for posting!

I’ve bookmarked it and will share with friends. I hope it doesn’t stay buried in the “What did you do today?” thread (although it sounds like a great “thing to do”!).

I hope it is useful to folks!

SHIIP also holds frequent informational sessions in public libraries around here (both daytime and evenings) which is convenient for folks who are still w#rking.

Took a balloon ride at the Albuquerque Balloon Festiva. Cost=$0.

Pilot said he was safe, he has never left anyone up there.

(You folks post way too many work accomplishments...)

Attachments

• 20191009_083942_HDR.jpg
    20191009_083942_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 20191009_081458_HDR.jpg
    20191009_081458_HDR.jpg
    872 KB · Views: 46
  • 20191009_082525_HDR.jpg
    20191009_082525_HDR.jpg
    925.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Took a balloon ride at the Albuquerque Balloon Festiva. Cost=$0.

Pilot said he was safe, he has never left anyone up there.

(You folks post way too many work accomplishments...)

Amazing, love the view, but I’m getting vertigo just from the pictures! Doubt I’ll go for a ride anytime soon,

Went to dentist.
Had first stage of root canal.
Getting old sucks moose balls.

Finished going through my work clothes pulling out things to give to Goodwill, and started going through some shelves for more things to get rid of. Found a bag of 1960s-vintage dolls, including a "Baby Secret" doll. Pull her string, and she says various things in a childish whisper:

"Is anyone else awake?"
"Hold me close and whisper."
"I like to sleep with you."
"I like to whisper in the dark."
"I want to tell you something."
"I know a secret. Do you?"
"Will you tell me a story?"
"My name is Baby Secret."
"Don't talk so loud!"
"Let's whisper, pss, pss, pss, pss."
"Listen, what's that?"

Innocent stuff in the 1960s, but today it seems that Baby Secret is high on the list of creepy talking vintage dolls. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to put her high on the value list.

Worked out
Continued reading a really good book
Visited friend who vacationed in Germany and Norway to see her pics, hear her travel stories and catch up on what she missed state-side
Grocery run
Made roasted veggies, sous vide'd chicken and gelatin pan sauce for dinner

Played pickleball this morning (as usual) and ran some errands this afternoon. I forgot it’s a Jewish holiday so the kids are out of school, and the stores were more crowded than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom