Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What sleep pattern do you have after ER?
I sleep more or less regular hours, but get up earlier than I thought I would. 23 30.26%
I sleep more or less regular hours, and get up about when I thought I would. 26 34.21%
I sleep more or less regular hours, and get up later than I thought I would. 17 22.37%
I don't sleep at regular hours, really! 10 13.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
And I like to be up before sunrise.
I'm often up before sunrise, although I try to fall asleep before it gets to be too light.

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Before I retired I went to bed between midnight and 1:00am, and got up at 5:30am. In retirement I usually hit the pillows sometime between 1:00am and 2:00am, and crawl out between 7:30am and 8:30am.

I rarely use an alarm clock....normally only if I have an appointment with my Doc.

As far as naps go, I ocassionally grab an hour long siesta sometime after lunch during the summer....usually during the heat of the day.

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...
My biggest change is now I will lay in bed in the morning in a semi conscious daze for an hour or so until I have enough energy to get out of bed to make the coffee and read the morning paper. It is not natural for me to pop out of bed right when I wake up. Probably the most enjoyable part of retirement is laying in bed until I'm ready to get up which is anywhere from 7-9 a.m.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #44
gone traveling
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post many people continue to use their alarms after RE.
Don't need no stinking alarm; I have a dog that jumps up on the bed and starts licking my ear at 5:30 a.m. 7 days a week, all year long . Yeah, that's his picture.

At least it's better than when I got up during my work*ng years at 3:45 (to exercise, before going off to the office by 5:30 a.m. since I worked for two different Euro firms, with HQ in Western Europe, and we had a lot of noon meetings - their time via video conference/NetMeeting with a six hour difference in local time). At least they had the same situation with communicating with the China, India & Oz units. The Euro guys had to get up early to have meetings with them while I was sleeping. Working in a company that "never sleeps" did require me to be at w*rk at midnight (rarely) since in those days, the available communications network - to your home PC, with audio/video - was the exception, rather than the rule.

Today, I normally go to bed around 11-12 pm, much later than my normal 8pm during my employment.

Actually, I get less continuous sleep in retirement (due to you know who), but most days I take an afternoon nap for an hour or so to "recharge". In reality, I sleep less in retirement. I'm sure that my need for sleep in my wor*ing years was also attributed to stress - which has fallen to a negligible level during the last four years, in retirement.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I get up between 6am and 7am generally after 8 hours sleep. If can't sleep I'll try to just lay there until 6am -- allergies sometimes wake me early.

Nowadays I've got to beat the heat to get my runs. It's most pleasant to run in the 50 degree weather, low 60's is a bit much. Also gardening is more pleasant in the early AM and the birds are out and about.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...
First 3 years of FIRE - up at o'dark thirty, napping a lot midday, in bed by 10 PM. bed by 10 PM, waking up at 6 AM, but developing bad habit of rolling back over and sleeping in as late as 10 AM. No midday naps.

I tried the alarm clock on "wake to music" so I get my lazy carcass out of bed, but...
oh well.

My sleep patterns need to stabilize a bit.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.
I like reading this thread - sleeping is not boring, it gives me a luxurious feeling to be in bed and feel great about the day and just let your body rest. That's one of the best thing about ER. When I was working, I can't have that feel good factor when I hit the sack. It was thinking of work and when I finally sleep, it was dreaming of work. So, after ER on those days I can't fall into sleep that easily, I don't worry too much and just enjoy the feeling of closing my eyes and just resting without worries. I can always take an afternoon nap to catch up.

Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote