Why Older Folks Need a GPS:

I have a standalone Garmin, bought 8 years ago when GPS was not just a simple function of the smartphone as it is now. It is still good for fishing or hiking in the woods as it is waterproof and even floats, but I have not used it much recently.

I recently could not resist the trend anymore, and had to get wireless data in order to use the Gasbuddy app along with Google map on an iPhone. The money I save by locating the local gas station with the lowest price to fill up my gas-guzzling motorhome more than pays for the higher subscription charge.

I still have a Garmin. Last time I updated maps it took several hours and attempts.

Battery life is poor and has a very sluggish UI. Plus I had to pack a beanbag mount when taking on overseas trips.

iPhone can go on vent clip mount which is tiny, because phones are thin.

I would say however that the Garmin generally does a better job of guidance at multi lane exchanges.

But for searching for POIs both before and during trips, it's no contest.

Of course you need data but t mobile simple choice provides roaming data.

This is our first trip using Google Maps on an iPhone (6). The screen is actually bigger than our old Garmin plus much easier to zoom in and out etc. I'm really impressed at the real time updates on traffic congestion and with 2 of us in the car it is really helpful to have the navigator handling the maps and directions. It also has a bluetooth connection so directions come through the car's sound system, quieting any music as needed.

We've also been using it for walking around the streets of new cities. My iphone has now replaced my old cell phone, my iPod Classic, my camera, my Garmin car GPS and my Garmin hiking GPS, as it has all the detailed contour maps I need.

Ditto! My iPhone has replaced so many gadgets I used to use. GPS, camera, alarm clock, timer, stopwatch, world atlas, level, magnifying glass, flashlight, etc etc.

The phone's GPS was invaluable on a trip to Japan last year, walking around Tokyo, and using the subway there as well.

I need to find a car mount for the phone so it works more like a GPS.

Getting the T-Mobile simple choice plan on an iPhone obsoleted our Garmin with the Europe maps. We turned it on once, saw the iPhone was picking up the same data more or less by cell, and I don't think we used the Garmin on again.

The Garmin touch screens are bloody awful.

We still use the one in the car. Voice commands work pretty well, so you don't have to try to operate it by touching the screen!!!

My old Garmin etrex is taking up shelf space since I use my iPhone for all hiking/biking and some driving navigation now. I still use DW's Garmin Nuvi on long trips. Like others, it comes in handy as I forget where I'm going and all I need to do is follow the gps to where I'm supposed to go.

Honestly - I think it is the phones stealing their marketshare. Phones give turn by turn instructions and if you have a co-pilot to operate it, it's even easier! We seem to use the phone half the time because it's usually quicker to set up for a new destination. If it's already saved, then the GPS is usually faster.
I prefer the iPhone navigation to the Garmin. The standalone GPS loses connection much more easily and takes too long to reestablish, while the iPhone cell function reestablishes contact much more quickly. In a city with lots of tall buildings when I don't know my way around, the GPS is critical but frequently useless. The iPhone navigation can work offline.

I still have a Garmin. Last time I updated maps it took several hours and attempts.

Yes, that was a problem in the past. A year or so ago, they seem to have upgraded their system. It now downloads and installs relatively fast (it takes maybe a half hour to update three units).

Battery life is poor and has a very sluggish UI. Plus I had to pack a beanbag mount when taking on overseas trips.

iPhone can go on vent clip mount which is tiny, because phones are thin.

That is because the phone is so tiny... and. in any event, the vents are in a position where you have to squint at the phone AND watch the road. One may as well be Texting.

I would say however that the Garmin generally does a better job of guidance at multi lane exchanges.

Yeah, I don't know how one can drive on major highways in major cities (again, I am speaking of BIG cities -- Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, for instance) without lane guidance. It is all well and good to expect a passenger to be the Navigator but that isn't always (perhaps never) practical. The speed and congestion doesn't give one much decision-making time. And signage... there are, quite often, so many signs cluttering the landscape that just sorting them out takes all the time available before it is too late. Oh! And California. Their signage is very logical once you figure it out. Unfortunately most other states follow a different logic. <rant> <rant> <rant>

But for searching for POIs both before and during trips, it's no contest.

Of course you need data but t mobile simple choice provides roaming data.

Our primary GPS Unit is a Garmin nüvi® 3590LMT. We have had it for about four years and it is still a "current" model. Nevertheless, I have a newer model on order (as mentioned earlier).

Yes, the Garmin is so much better. Primarily because of POI Factory. One of the major POI sets we need is RV parks. The number of Smart Phone Apps for that category is pretty puny. Gas stations (including Gas Buddy), rest areas, red light cameras, etc. are about equal for both devices, I suppose. However, the larger screen and being in the line-of-sight makes the GPS unit much the more desirable.

FWIW, I have had no "sluggishness"-type problems with the last two Garmin units we have had. The only issue I have is that the 3590 is silent when you miss your turn. It simply reroutes you but it is instantaneously.

Last edited:
I am solidly in the GPS camp and have a Garmin 3590 that I rely on. It paid for itself during a lengthy trip on which I declined the rental car NAV option ($11/day!). I got the beanbag portable dash mount that can mold itself to nearly anything except a rabid dog.

I am solidly in the GPS camp and have a Garmin 3590 that I rely on. It paid for itself during a lengthy trip on which I declined the rental car NAV option ($11/day!). I got the beanbag portable dash mount that can mold itself to nearly anything except a rabid dog.

+1
I love the beanbag mount. My dash is textured and won't hold a suction cup. Using a suction cup on the windshield for a GPS or phone is illegal in 28 states. GPS Windshield Mounts Illegal in over Half the U.S. - GPS Tracklog

I prefer GPS to a smartphone because coverage is good even if I am way off the beaten path. I also don't have to use phone data.

I prefer GPS to a smartphone because coverage is good even if I am way off the beaten path. I also don't have to use phone data.
Technically, most modern smartphones also have the requisite hardware for satellite-based GPS. It's just the free mapping/navigation apps that require an active internet connection.

If you download a navigation app with built-in maps (e.g. Garmin, Magellan, TomTom, Navigon, CoPilot, etc), your smartphone (or tablet) should work similar to a standalone GPS unit. Only caveat is the maps tend to be pretty big. Probably a pretty tight fit if you only have a 16GB smartphone.

No matter where I am (lost or otherwise), all I have to do is hit the "Home" button and it will take me there!

it's been advised NOT to use your real address as HOME in case vehicle (w/keys) is stolen. use a house a few doors down

I think I have the same Garmin as RonBoyd. As delivered, it did not have enough memory to accommodate a full install of maps (worldwide), so I got an additional memory card to take care of that and that provided plenty of storage (the card wasn't expensive).

I also think the map updates proceed slowly, but I don't do it that frequently and I have disabled (set to "manual start") the Garmin Core Update service on my PC as it seemed it would fail pretty often when trying to automatically update overnight. Because of that troubleshooting adventure, I no longer select the "check for software updates automatically" when I install new software unless I really think it is necessary.

Some other Phone apps like MotionX also let you download area maps and use them offline with Phone GPS.

TX statute on windshield mounted GPS:

Sec. 547.613. RESTRICTIONS ON WINDOWS. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor:
(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window and that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view;

I place my Garmin mount below the registration and inspection stickers in the lower left area of the windshied (those DPS issued stickers already obstruct my view). The Garmin is then directly between me and the stickers. Works fine and it's there all the time.

it's been advised NOT to use your real address as HOME in case vehicle (w/keys) is stolen. use a house a few doors down

Yes, I know that, thanks, but it's pretty easy to get my home address multiple other ways also. (Google helps!) :)

I place my Garmin mount below the registration and inspection stickers in the lower left area of the windshied (those DPS issued stickers already obstruct my view). The Garmin is then directly between me and the stickers. Works fine and it's there all the time.
You won't have to worry about those Texas vehicle inspection stickers getting in your way pretty soon. See 2013 (HB2305)

Garmin may have some virtues but having to pack it, charger and beanbag mount, in addition to your phone, outweighs those virtues, by a wide margin.

It's not a lot of work, just extra stuff to pack.

I've dragged my Garmin to Europe. Even had to reload maps while in Italy once.

It's not as easily transportable as modern mobile devices though.

It's not a lot of work, just extra stuff to pack.

I've dragged my Garmin to Europe. Even had to reload maps while in Italy once.

It's not as easily transportable as modern mobile devices though.

I'm the same way. I will only take my Europe Garmin when I go on a trip where I rent a car. So far I have been able to avoid driving in Europe.

I've heard that old pearl, and some auto theirs might be "fooled," but with the owners address on the registration if not other documents typically left in the car...

I used to swear by a Garmin GPS (and still do boating), but
a) more and more people have smartphones so why pay for a separate unit, but more importantly IMHO
b) Google/Apple Maps are automatically updated and likely to be more current that any Garmin unit. The GPS sellers have free map updates now, but you still have to connect and manually update (even plug into an online PC) IIRC. Some folks may still have a bad taste from the days when you had to pay (dearly) to update your Garmin maps.

But the really dumb $ option is paying for an integrated nav system from the automakers. They cost way more than a Garmin or smartphone, map updates are still not free from automaker/dealers, and you won't believe what they cost to replace when they go bad...

Last edited:
Good points, Midpack. I suppose I view it as not being an either-or decision. I have both a dedicated GPS and an iPhone and use as appropriate. Choice is good (device lifetime free map updates helps).

Back
Top Bottom