Work Dream/Nightmare

Well, you probably did better in English than I did, too.

Thermodynamics was a lot of fun (to me).
I enjoyed my Thermo class. Let's see, that was maybe 42 years ago. Can't remember any of that stuff ... do you think that has something to do with entropy?

I don't think these sort of dreams ever end entirely. I've been out of college for 40 years and last night I had a nightmare about not being able to locate the building or classroom where I was supposed to take my English final....

Those dreams also tapered off after retirement.

Had one of those dreams last night, thanks to this thread (retired 3.5 years).

I had an awful work nightmare last night, perhaps my first.

I dreamed that for some reason, Frank and I were strolling in to my work at about 8:30 AM. There were at least TWENTY people partying in my small office, and some short girl I didn't know was on my computer. She wouldn't get off, either, until I physically disconnected the CRT. I dragged her to the door, shook my finger in her face, and yelled at her, "If you EVER do that again..." while the other twenty were leaving. After all were gone I realized that there was no way to keep any of them out of my office unless I wanted to get there earlier. :eek:

This followed another very brief dream in which my first supervisor (hideous and awful, supplanted during my last few working years by my best friend who was a great supervisor) approached me in the parking lot at work with Christmas cards that she wanted me to deliver in person to (now former) co-workers for her, when she could have easily used inter-office mail. She was saying things like, "Is so-and-so's office near yours?" and I didn't know but said "Yes" just to shut her up.

How odd that it has taken this long for work issues to surface in nightmares.

All my bad dreams about w*rk happened during my years of employment (yes - there were many). Since I've retired (almost 3 years :rolleyes: ) I have not had a "bad dream" related to my previous "journey".

I guess I was ready to retire, and leave my "bad dreams" behind.....

Can anybody kindly explain to me why I dream about work day in and day out? This has been going on almost from the day I retired....and it´s gonna be five years of ER next April!!:(
And, of course, in all of those dreams I make an ass of myself/make absurd mistakes/am bossed around.....even though in some of my dreams I know that I am retired and don´t have to put up with all that s**t....:confused:
Is it some kind of Post Traumatic Disorder:angel:?

I don't think these sort of dreams ever end entirely. I've been out of college for 40 years and last night I had a nightmare about not being able to locate the building or classroom where I was supposed to take my English final....

Wahoo, Old Main burned to the ground years ago, but maybe you went to a different school.;)

Can anybody kindly explain to me why I dream about work day in and day out? This has been going on almost from the day I retired....and it´s gonna be five years of ER next April!!:(
And, of course, in all of those dreams I make an ass of myself/make absurd mistakes/am bossed around.....even though in some of my dreams I know that I am retired and don´t have to put up with all that s**t....:confused:
Oh...bless your heart! I can't imagine dreaming about work all of the time. :p

Since your DW is still working, I assume she's stressed at times and you feel it. Or could it be you're watching the news too much? I try to avoid news as much as I can as it always stresses me out.

W2R, Vincente,

Stop it already with stories of these work nightmares !!!!

You're scaring the retirees, and us "soon to be" retirees :LOL:

It almost sounds like you have PTWS (Post Traumatic Work Syndrome) or perhaps PTSS (Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome)

Please step over to my couch in the corner here and we will explore your id/ego/superego. If you cannot make it today then I have a little advice. Go to bed with a loaded squirt gun and take out those pests when they enter your dream world.

OK, maybe I'm getting a little carried away with this. But I have heard that if you think about your comebacks to these situations in advance when you are going to bed, it helps to get over the nightmarish aspects of the dream. My wife decided to chase the bad guys down and she did alright in her following dream nights. I've had some work dreams that generally amount to getting lost at megacorp and looking around for some group that will take me on. Thinking about these absurd dreams before drifting off and thinking of how I will respond has seemed to help. Or maybe I've just suppressed the whole thing and it's still happening :) :whistle:.

W2R, Vincente,

Stop it already with stories of these work nightmares !!!!

You're scaring the retirees, and us "soon to be" retirees :LOL:

It almost sounds like you have PTWS (Post Traumatic Work Syndrome) or perhaps PTSS (Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome)
You are sooooo ready! Don't worry, I've never had a post-w*rk nightmare or even a nice dream, thinking about it while awake is bad enough.

I blame it on eating processed food for all three meals yesterday. I felt lazy and bought a bunch of microwave stuff. :sick:

I dreamed that for some reason, Frank and I were strolling in to my work at about 8:30 AM. There were at least TWENTY people partying in my small office, and some short girl I didn't know was on my computer. She wouldn't get off, either, until I physically disconnected the CRT. I dragged her to the door, shook my finger in her face, and yelled at her, "If you EVER do that again..." while the other twenty were leaving. After all were gone I realized that there was no way to keep any of them out of my office unless I wanted to get there earlier. :eek:

This followed another very brief dream in which my first supervisor (hideous and awful, supplanted during my last few working years by my best friend who was a great supervisor) approached me in the parking lot at work with Christmas cards that she wanted me to deliver in person to (now former) co-workers for her, when she could have easily used inter-office mail. She was saying things like, "Is so-and-so's office near yours?" and I didn't know but said "Yes" just to shut her up.

Bad work dreams kept bubbling up for quite a while.

You are sooooo ready! Don't worry, I've never had a post-w*rk nightmare or even a nice dream, thinking about it while awake is bad enough.

Thanks Joe. The possibility of work nightmares is certainly not going to deter me at this stage :ROFLMAO:

Alan: It´s the final countdown da da da da da....the final countdown...

When I got in from work yesterday, the movers had delivered a load of packing boxes and DW had already assembled and packed several.

Another leaving "do" with non-work friends this weekend otherwise it is packing and other activities associated with the move - I know my place, DW will give me a list of jobs, once of which, I hope, will be to continue eating down the contents of the freezer :whistle:

Only 8 more "alarm clock" mornings to go :cool:

W2R, are you sure they're work issues? Could the horrid cow-orkers and evil supervisor be stand-ins for some problem that you are avoiding thinking about? (Example: Why did the dream call to your attention that the troublesome girl was "short"? Are you concerned about something falling "short" in real life?)

I'm convinced that our subconscious-es are loony, but they love us and are trying to help. They just don't quite know how to talk to us and that's why we have weird dreams.

Amethyst

I'd suggest going back to w*rk for one week...then you won't have nightmares anymore.

...How odd that it has taken this long for work issues to surface in nightmares.

Welcome to being officially FIRE'd.

Guess having a work nightmare surfacing is a right of passage to being retired :cool:

Back
Top Bottom