Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Cheap Fun Stuff
Old 10-08-2004, 11:33 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No, I was just talking about those little pedals you can adjust to rest your feet on so you can have a place to put your feet and some leverage, if needed.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2004, 11:37 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
There's a poster in this community who said: "I for one, want to keep reading what ***** puts out, old or new. Please let me!"

I am going to do what I can to be responsive to that poster's wishes. I will be putting up a non-SWR on-topic post at the "Young Dreamers" section of this board next Wednesday.
Jeez, would you be responsive to *this* poster's wishes? Seek medical attention. I'm not kidding. I'm no shrink, but you are showing signs of paranoid schizophrenia, and you should seriously consider getting a professional evaluation.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:40 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Please stop feeding the troll. It made a 'guest' post in support of itself and now its responding to that in the hopes it will rile someone up enough to respond.

I second Nord's request for an "ignore" feature, if not an outright ban. Not because I cant ignore it, but because a lot of other people cant.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:40 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Those pedals can help you defeat weathervaning in windy conditions by shifting some of your paddle's leverage across the beam of the boat.

Oh, and if you get to decide between a used glass boat and a new plastic one of roughly the same hull configuration for the same $$$, I'd seriously consider buying the glass boat. You wind up portaging more than you might think.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:57 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I second Nord's request for an "ignore" feature, if not an outright ban. *Not because I cant ignore it, but because a lot of other people cant.

I of course have no objection to a tool that helps community members ignore certain threads or certain posters or whatever. The reality, however, is that, as you say here, the "ignore" idea never works when dealing with the particular matter that is the cause of the trouble spoiling this thread.

There's a reason for that. The reason for that is the elephant sitting in the living room that everyone sees but that not many yet want to talk about frankly. I believe that to achieve our potential we need to figure out a way to talk about it. We are a creative people, and I believe that we will figure out a way that will work to the benefit of all.

I'll do my part. That's all that I can do. The rest is up to all of you. We are a community. We solve our problems as a community. Or we solve them not at all.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:43 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

"Ignore" buttons

For those of you who are wondering what an "Ignore" feature is, check our Morningstar's discussion boards.

http://socialize.morningstar.com/New...&t1=1042730421

If you go through their registration routine and gain access as a poster, you'll see a "My Ignore List" on the left-hand margin (a scroll or two down).

***** says: "The reality, however, is that, as you say here, the "ignore" idea never works when dealing with the particular matter that is the cause of the trouble spoiling this thread."

That hasn't been my experience. When I add a name to my M* "Ignore" list, that person's posts show up with their subject line but with a generic text of "Posts by this member are being ignored." Initially I expected that I'd be turning the feature on & off to see what was going on, but that hasn't been the case. Once I add a name to the "Ignore" list, ignorance is truly bliss. Occasionally I see other posters react to the "ignoree", which only affirms my reason for having that name on the list. A bonus is that the thread scrolls much faster since I don't have to keep clicking past 4,999-word prolixious dasypygal gibberish.

*****, you've used up all your goodwill. You've run your own board and manipulated it beyond all moderator's ethics. You've created numerous login identities on this board and schizophrenically orchestrated "support" for yourself. You've even added a "Guest" post here as a desperate attempt to sway public opinion.

Once again I suggest you go somewhere else. If you don't want to leave (and if you aren't banned by the moderator), then I recommend you stop recycling your old posts and limit yourself to on-topic responses. The rest of us know where to find your old posts if we care to.

Dory?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:49 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Please, Dory, please!

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #48

Dory?

I think that having Dory36's input would be helpful, Nords. At least we agree on that much.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I liked reading about kayaks more We gave my dad a 2 person kayak last year. He lives on the Penobscot Bay, and tooling around the little islands is fun. Don't think I'm up for the whitewater stuff.

I post on TMF also, and Ignore Fool works fine there. Every once in a while I'll check to see what they're saying, which always reminds me why I Ignored them in the first place.

arrete
Old 10-08-2004, 01:03 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Only problem with the 2 person kayaks is that many of them are pretty darned heavy. Our 17' canoe is about 60 pounds. My neighbor's 2 man kayak is about the same length and weighs over 100 pounds. That's a big defference when you've got to lug it around.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My neighbor's 2 man kayak is about the same length and weighs over 100 pounds. That's a big defference when you've got to lug it around.
He got some rolly thing to help with that, and since he lives right on the shore, he only has to get it above high tide.

arrete
Old 10-08-2004, 01:23 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

For DIY'ers there are some awesome kits out there. My friend built a gorgeous 15' wood touring kayak for about half the price of a new plastic one, and I think he enjoyed building it as much as he enjoys paddling it.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:23 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Wow. I don't know why - but I would have guessed at equal lengths - the kayak would always be the ligher of the two and easier to manhandle.

This weekend - may try to find some of both to look at - up close and personal.

BTY - in summer, canoe rentals are availible at the other end of the refuge. But only in summer. Still thinking kayak as a year rounder, and more flexible as to water conditions.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:26 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow. I don't know why - but I would have guessed at equal lengths - the kayak would always be the ligher of the two and easier to manhandle.

This weekend - may try to find some of both to look at - up close and personal.

BTY - in summer, canoe rentals are availible at the other end of the refuge. But only in summer. Still thinking kayak as a year rounder, and more flexible as to water conditions.
Kayaks are closed on top so there is more material and more weight. They typically have flotation chambers to help them stay buoyant, since they are so heavy for their volume.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-08-2004, 06:37 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Still thinking kayak as a year rounder, and more flexible as to water conditions.
I don't have a kayak, but I can definitely second you as to staying off big water in a canoe whenever there are storm possibilities. About 20 years ago I was crossing Lake Ozette on the peninsula when a squall blew up, and even though I was kneeling low and pretty experienced, I thought I was going to be swamped. It was a 15' Grumman, a really handy knockabout for small lakes, but no match for Ozette.

Mikey

Old 10-09-2004, 01:59 AM   #56

I'm a fan of on-topic discussion. That's my thing. So I'm not jumping up and down and about this.

But I've seen worse.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:28 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Kayaks can get really warm in the sun. At least canoes give you some fresh air. Although then you have no sun protection.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:52 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Make sure you can swim pretty well. * Kayaks tip over easily, and they're fairly hard to get back into after a capsize. * *Most kayaking deaths are from hypothermia after a capsize.
Which is why eskimo rolling is prolly a good skill to have if you kayak in white water?

I have only kayaked twice in my life and only in calm water. I watched people did white water kayaks though and I found it fascinating. I don't think I would try white water kayaks until I am super good with kayak.

Nevertheless, I have tried white water rafting (twice) which is less dangerous than white water kayak. It was quite a thrill actually, although I have to admit that I was scared shitless both times (Because although I can swim I don't consider myself a really good swimmer)

My first white water raft trip, we were in 6-people raft and there was one point where everyone (inlcuding the guide) got thrown out of the raft. Then we all swam like crazy to get back to the raft (I was the last one out of water). One of the biggest guys on the raft was so scared that he kept tellling us how he thought he was going to die.

Of course, the next year someone said, hey why don't we go white-water rafting? I said, yeah why not, it should be fun.

It's like childbirth, after it was over, you swore you would never do it again, only to find yourself wanting another baby a year after that (well, that's what my mother said anyway).

Jane