Cheap Fun Stuff

Hey folks, can't we just get along?

As a long-time reader from the Motley Fool days, I like *****' posts and find the hostility to him annoying. As ERs (or ER hopefuls) we are already on non-traditional paths. We shouldn't feel threatened by anyone, particularly someone who can represent his/her point of view so well.

I, for one, want to keep reading what ***** puts out, old or new. Please let me!

The reality is that I have made huge contributions to the various board communities, blazerjeremy...

I am proud of my Retire Early contributions.

Hey *******, we are laughing at you, not with you.

Go away. You are not liked or wanted here.

kayaking - grey overcast day, light rain, chop on :ake Ponchartrain - stirs the the old Washington State blood. 1/4 mile out the kitchen window and 5 miles across open water off the back porch are entrances to the bayou's of the Wildlife Refuge.

Nobody but nobody has a kayak around here - flatboats, fishing boats, sailboats, powerboats, and pirogue's for duck hunters.

Does anybody out there kayak? How would one get started. Thinking room for a man and his golden retriever - and perhaps a way to fish a little. The lake is subject to sudden storms so 2-4 rollers might catch you on open water periodically.

Could use the phys. ed. - gyms and jogging are a turn off.

I had one and would kayak with my lab. It was a lot of fun, and a lot of work. I don't have it anymore because after I broke up with the kayaking boyfriend, I didn't have anyone to lift it on top of my car for me. Hah. (I'm 5'3" and less than 100 lbs).

kayaking - grey overcast day, light rain, chop on :ake Ponchartrain - stirs the the old Washington State blood. 1/4 mile out the kitchen window and 5 miles across open water off the back porch are entrances to the bayou's of the Wildlife Refuge.

Nobody but nobody has a kayak around here - flatboats, fishing boats, sailboats, powerboats, and pirogue's for duck hunters.

Does anybody out there kayak? How would one get started. Thinking room for a man and his golden retriever - and perhaps a way to fish a little. The lake is subject to sudden storms so 2-4 rollers might catch you on open water periodically.

Could use the phys. ed. - gyms and jogging are a turn off.

I know kayaking has really taken off in popularity, but I really prefer my canoe. You end up with more capacity (no problem to have two people and gear for a day trip or overnight), fishing is much easier owing to the open top, it is a LOT easier to cover distance since canoes are usually inherently more efficient than kayaks at going in straight lines, and they are usually about the same weight as a kayak. Not as good a choice in rough water, though.

I, for one, want to keep reading what ***** puts out, old or new.

Thanks for coming forward with those kind words, Guest.

I know kayaking has really taken off in popularity, but I really prefer my canoe.

Yeah, but it's hard to stand up in a canoe when you surf off those eight-footers... I see a couple kayakers at Barbers Point every time a big swell passes through. They're wearing helmets, too.

Yeah, but it's hard to stand up in a canoe when you surf off those eight-footers... I see a couple kayakers at Barbers Point every time a big swell passes through.  They're wearing helmets, too.

Uh-huh, but you see, I get seasick if it isn't pretty flat anyway, so I'm not ever out in the rough stuff. My idea of fun is a large, calm lake with lots of interesting nooks and crannies.

I love kayaking. A big plus over a canoe is you can manage it on your own, and more than one of you get your own boat and can poke about as you see fit. Havent put mine in the many waters here in my new area since I moved, but its about that time of year to go try out the currents in the river up the road...

I might be getting off-topic here, but as a lifelong whitewater kayaker I think I get the best of both worlds. It's hard to board-surf a whitewater river and canoes are no good in ocean swells, but I've surfed a six-foot standing wave on Class III whitewater in my kayak for ten straight minutes. That was the same boat I took to Cape Hatteras for two weeks one summer.

Big fun, soon come. This time next year I hope to be doing it full-time.

New or used? - where's the best place to look - what brands/models - am I looking for.

Nord's - the windsurfers on our end of the lake have died off over the years - even old fashioned water skiers are rare. Waveriders dot the lake in summer. Back in our RV days - watching windsurfers spill and trying to get the sail back up - discouraged me from renting one and trying my hand at learning. More of a summer thing.

I'm thinking kayaking might be more year round.

Being in a fish camp - launching under the house is a given - has to be taken out off the water when done though - our side of the lake takes a pounding. Regular boats either have belly slings or are taken out and trailered between use.

I dont think brands and models have a lot to do with it unless you're pretty serious.

Basics: shorter=more maneuverable, longer=more stable ride in big water and lighter models are easier to load and unload.

Beyond that you can pay extra for foot pedals (I've never really found them to be very useful or more comfy unless you're white watering), better seats (although after buying a $500 one with an adjustable padded seat that looked great, I found the fixed plastic seat in the first $180 one I bought to be more comfortable), exotic materials, and big names.

Sit on tops are pretty easy for someone new to the sport to deal with, sit insides give you a lower center of gravity but can be more challenging.

Kayaking with a dog can be challenging, especially if the dog wants to run around. Expect to spend some time in the water rather than on it. A two person, wide, sit on top from someplace like Costco or Sams Club will do you, or visit a place where they rent them...rent several models and then at the end of the year when they're selling the old rentals, buy the one you like.

New or used? - where's the best place to look - what brands/models - am I looking for.
Here in the Great Northwest, everybody wants a kayak, so used tends to be expensive. In your neck of the woods, I suspect just finding a used one would be a problem.

If you're just starting out, you want something wide and plastic. Later, if you want to go faster, something narrow and fiberglass may appeal to you. If you've got an REI near you, they'll have a good selection. I like Perception (a brand they carry).

Make sure you can swim pretty well. Kayaks tip over easily, and they're fairly hard to get back into after a capsize. Most kayaking deaths are from hypothermia after a capsize.

There's a poster in this community who said: "I for one, want to keep reading what ***** puts out, old or new. Please let me!"

I am going to do what I can to be responsive to that poster's wishes. I will be putting up a non-SWR on-topic post at the "Young Dreamers" section of this board next Wednesday.

Beyond that you can pay extra for foot pedals (I've never really found them to be very useful or more comfy unless you're white watering)
If by pedals, you mean rudder control, then you definately want a rudder if you're in a windy area. Kayaks have no keel or anything to keep them from getting blown around, so a rudder is your best chance for stability and manuervability in wind.

No, I was just talking about those little pedals you can adjust to rest your feet on so you can have a place to put your feet and some leverage, if needed.

There's a poster in this community who said: "I for one, want to keep reading what ***** puts out, old or new. Please let me!"

I am going to do what I can to be responsive to that poster's wishes. I will be putting up a non-SWR on-topic post at the "Young Dreamers" section of this board next Wednesday.
Jeez, would you be responsive to *this* poster's wishes? Seek medical attention. I'm not kidding. I'm no shrink, but you are showing signs of paranoid schizophrenia, and you should seriously consider getting a professional evaluation.

Please stop feeding the troll. It made a 'guest' post in support of itself and now its responding to that in the hopes it will rile someone up enough to respond.

I second Nord's request for an "ignore" feature, if not an outright ban. Not because I cant ignore it, but because a lot of other people cant.

Those pedals can help you defeat weathervaning in windy conditions by shifting some of your paddle's leverage across the beam of the boat.

Oh, and if you get to decide between a used glass boat and a new plastic one of roughly the same hull configuration for the same $$$, I'd seriously consider buying the glass boat. You wind up portaging more than you might think.

I second Nord's request for an "ignore" feature, if not an outright ban.  Not because I cant ignore it, but because a lot of other people cant.

I of course have no objection to a tool that helps community members ignore certain threads or certain posters or whatever. The reality, however, is that, as you say here, the "ignore" idea never works when dealing with the particular matter that is the cause of the trouble spoiling this thread.

There's a reason for that. The reason for that is the elephant sitting in the living room that everyone sees but that not many yet want to talk about frankly. I believe that to achieve our potential we need to figure out a way to talk about it. We are a creative people, and I believe that we will figure out a way that will work to the benefit of all.

I'll do my part. That's all that I can do. The rest is up to all of you. We are a community. We solve our problems as a community. Or we solve them not at all.

"Ignore" buttons

For those of you who are wondering what an "Ignore" feature is, check our Morningstar's discussion boards.

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/asp/AllConv.asp?forumId=F100000001&t1=1042730421

If you go through their registration routine and gain access as a poster, you'll see a "My Ignore List" on the left-hand margin (a scroll or two down).

***** says: "The reality, however, is that, as you say here, the "ignore" idea never works when dealing with the particular matter that is the cause of the trouble spoiling this thread."

That hasn't been my experience. When I add a name to my M* "Ignore" list, that person's posts show up with their subject line but with a generic text of "Posts by this member are being ignored." Initially I expected that I'd be turning the feature on & off to see what was going on, but that hasn't been the case. Once I add a name to the "Ignore" list, ignorance is truly bliss. Occasionally I see other posters react to the "ignoree", which only affirms my reason for having that name on the list. A bonus is that the thread scrolls much faster since I don't have to keep clicking past 4,999-word prolixious dasypygal gibberish.

*****, you've used up all your goodwill. You've run your own board and manipulated it beyond all moderator's ethics. You've created numerous login identities on this board and schizophrenically orchestrated "support" for yourself. You've even added a "Guest" post here as a desperate attempt to sway public opinion.

Once again I suggest you go somewhere else. If you don't want to leave (and if you aren't banned by the moderator), then I recommend you stop recycling your old posts and limit yourself to on-topic responses. The rest of us know where to find your old posts if we care to.

Dory?

Dory?

I think that having Dory36's input would be helpful, Nords. At least we agree on that much.

I liked reading about kayaks more :) We gave my dad a 2 person kayak last year. He lives on the Penobscot Bay, and tooling around the little islands is fun. Don't think I'm up for the whitewater stuff.

I post on TMF also, and Ignore Fool works fine there. Every once in a while I'll check to see what they're saying, which always reminds me why I Ignored them in the first place.

arrete

Only problem with the 2 person kayaks is that many of them are pretty darned heavy. Our 17' canoe is about 60 pounds. My neighbor's 2 man kayak is about the same length and weighs over 100 pounds. That's a big defference when you've got to lug it around.

Back
Top Bottom