Join Early Retirement Today

Have you ever been fired?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think this would be an interesting thread....and make sure you tell us the details....

And I dont mean FIRE...I mean discharged, canned, shown the door, given the boot......
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
I think this would be an interesting thread....and make sure you tell us the details....

And I dont mean FIRE...I mean discharged, canned, show the door, giving the boot......
Yup...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

There are two kinds of workers - those who have been fired, and those who will be.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #4

The fanny term is layoff. I was let go two times. They (the employers) said that they had faced financial difficulties and thus had to lay people off. The feeling was always of hurt, questioning the reasons for picking me? It's painful to remember. However, both events turned out to be positive. I was able to get a higher paying job after about 2 months of unemployment. The lesson is to move on and stop ruminating the past - when one door closes, more doors will open.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Nope but I would have been if I had hung around long enough. A company I was with in my 20's filed for chapter 11 so I got the heck out of there. About a year later, they went belly up.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I was "laid off" - do you mean let go for cause? HR likes to make the distinction between "downsizing" and "fired", I think mostly because of unemployment benefits.

Huge shock, same, "why me?" feeling as mentioned above. I have to admit I should have seen it coming. The name of the company was only 1-2 letters off from the company in "Office Space" and they brought in "efficiency consultants". When it was my turn for an interview, I was unclear on the concept and thought they were there to help me be more productive, so I said, "since project x finished up, I've been pretty much at loose ends!". Her eyes lit up.

A week later I was called into her office and she said, "well, I have some not so good news....".

Best thing that could have happened, I buckled down in college and finished up less than a year later. I was trapped in a "the money is so good I can't quit" death spiral that might have had me making half my current salary at this point because I never finished college.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not so far! Sidetracked, failed, set back, & derailed plenty of times but I always got "encouraged" to try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
There are two kinds of workers - those who have been fired, and those who will be.
... and those who haven't been caught...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
I was "laid off" - do you mean let go for cause? HR likes to make the distinction between "downsizing" and "fired", I think mostly because of unemployment benefits.
I was hoping to hear some stories "for cause", but these stories are good too

I believe if you are fired "for cause" you can still get unemployment based on a discussion that we had before and what I have read...
Old 09-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

1969 - Will the last person leaving Seattle please turn off the lights?

My apartment complex had 13 out of 90 vacancys and 45 more had given notice not to renew - right up the hill from the Boeing complex in Kent.

1992 - I had successfully solved my research problem and no more money from NASA for further work.

1993 - unemployed(and slightly pissed off) slacker - except for about one yr. as a jobshopper 95/96 - slowly morphed into a:

high class ER - conviently - once I discovered this forum in 03 - going back and rewriting history - age 49-55 not a temp worker/unemployed slacker but a really cool early retiree. Can't put my finger on when the mental shift actually occured - one day I just got that warm and fuzzy feeling sitting on the back deck over Lake Ponchartrain watching those poor bastards commuting to work in New Orleans on the I - 10 bridge.

heh heh heh - twice is my number and I'm sticking too it.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post

And I dont mean FIRE...I mean discharged, canned, shown the door, given the boot......
Not me; not ever. Which is pretty good for a grade-a bum. Some stay one step before the revenuers, some are one step before the handcuffs; me, I've always been one step before the pink slip. But you may have jinxed me with this thread.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

I would probably have been fired from my first job out of college had I stuck around. My boss and I did not get along. Which is to say, we hated each other. He was a pathetic, incompetent weenie who was very, very close to his boss. Uncomfortably close. As in, he'd spend hours in his boss's office with the door closed, while no other two workers in their roles ever did that. As in, his boss had keys to his apartment (we know this because once my boss left his keys at a bar, but was able to get into his apartment because his boss had a set). As in, his boss had a history of being...ahem...improper with other male employees.

Anyway, we hated each other. He gave me a lousy review. I was looking madly for another job. THEN, this is so sweet...my boss's boss was forced to resign, and my boss was demoted! So my final two months there he was my co-worker. Heh heh heh. However, it was still a lousy place to work, so when a better offer came through I left. It was just great to see that sometimes bad things happen to bad people.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I guess I am lucky. I have never been fired, on a lay-off, or down-sized.

However, for a period during my career I did change jobs several times for more money. One of those times I left a company that was sold about 2 years later. Had I been there, it would have happened since everyone was terminated after the new owner took over.

I will keep my fingers crossed.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Right sized once.
Jumped ship three times before the company went under or was bought out. In two of the cases, they stopped paying employees.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Not yet, knock on wood.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #15

The first job I had...after I quit college (confession time) I worked in a clothing factory. Sometimes they would lay off people at the change of seasons or contracts. Everyone really anticipated occasionally being "laid off" since it was a really good 3-4 weeks of vacation with paid state unemployment checks. Everyone knew that they would have a job at the begining of the new season or contract. I know it wouldn't work like that now, but it did then back in the early '70s. It's too bad everyone thought like that, but to those low paid employees it was a nice vacation.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Was fired for cause one time. It was a job I hated and was unsuited for, but I took anyway because I needed a job at that time and place. Didn't make much difference in the long run and I knew it was coming and had already been looking. Since I was young and had few responsibilities, it was no bog deal. Heck, I wish I had been in a better mindset to enjoy the freedom.

Never been laid off, but it was close once or twice.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:18 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

twice.

Once from a j*b I had through a temp agency! Apparently, I didn't have the right attitude. The staff employee spent over an hour telling me how to make copies and kept checking to make sure I was doing it right. In my inpatient way, I said it wasn't a difficult task, had it well under control, blah, blah, which must have insulted her. Anyway, the company asked the temp agency not to send me back.

I was canned from a j*b in a large health clinic. 1 clinic, 4 sets of employees working for 4 different entities. I only had management authority for one of set of employees, no control over scheduling, and was supposed to operate the clinic, ensure coverage and make sure everyone played nice and worked together. One person actually told me to stay out of the clinic. I was looking for another position by the time I was asked to resign, so the dislike was mutual.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm.. .does pre college count??

I was laid of my part time job at Woolco because of 'attitude'... I did not jump every time some young stupid 'manager' told me to... but, this does not count...

I was told to find another job (but got 6 months to do it) when I was in public accounting... I was moving up to the 'manager' position and you needed to bring in new business... that was not me so I did not... found a job before time was up.. so maybe it does not count...

I got notice when my company (bank) was closed... was unemployed for two days, but the new company hired me and back dated my start date so I was not 'laid off'...

So, three times you could say I was, or never... according to how you look at it... (the state would look at it as never because I never was able to get unemployment)...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Being a nurse it's almost impossible to get laid off so we would all have plans of what we would do if we would get laid off .How we would collect unemployment while trying to avoid being hired too soon .Never worked out but a girl can dream.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #20

The one time I was laid off, mentioned my previous post, was the best thing that had ever happened to me. I took the opportunity to move to my present town during that lay off. For a small town gal, especially me, that was a big move and the start of a new life. Sometimes things really work out for the best.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote