Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Or "bat room"...

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
all better than BAT HOUSE for marketing purposes.

flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
This weekend, I went crazy with clearing out the clutter! 4 medium sized garbage bags of clothing so far (and I've got at least one more garbage bag worth of stuff to get rid of), many random nick-nacks, cheap little gifts that I'd been given over the years & almost afraid throw away, old nasty shoes, old nasty jars of food that went bad years ago, & other assorted things.

We also built some new ikea wardrobes, & getting that done was a big inspiration, as I went through everything in the old wardrobe & reevaluated if I really wanted it, before putting it in the new one.

As for the emotional side of clutter, my mom is a hoarder to the toes, and I was, for a really long time. I couldn't even sleep in my own bed, unless there was stuff on it with me. I'm not sure exactly what made me want to change, except that, although I love my mom, she can be a mean, nasty person & for some reason I associated the clutter with that. maybe because she gets so insanely pissed if anyone brings it up to her.

My best friend & I went to visit & stayed with my parents last weekend, & I think staying there, where most of their 4 bedroom house is 'off limit's, due to the fact that it's so full of **** that there are little pathways through the rooms (if there are any pathways at all) may have inspired me to go crazy getting rid of my stuff (although it also seriously worried me - it's scary bad, I worry about mice & things catching on fire all the time).

Now all I need to do is convince my SO to go through his stuff & get rid of it. he's not a hoarder, but despite telling me for MONTHS that he'll go through his stuff, he rarely does it. I don't know what to do at this point, because I'm afraid to sound naggy, but I'm sick of living with cardboard boxes full of old papers pushed up against the walls of the living room! I want to have the kind of house where, if something has to go in a box, then that box can go in a CLOSET and not sit out & be an permanent eyesore.
Celany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...
This has helped me:

Choose a specific category of 'stuff' one day. Gather all the similar items of that category together from all over the house. I find, that when I realize I have seventeen of the same item that I haven't used in 10 years, and five other similar items, it is a lot easier to part with them. Or maybe I decide to keep *one* of them.

Before I tried this approach, I'd go through stuff a little at a time, and over a period of time. I often didn't realize that I had similar stuff in different areas (basement, garage, closet, etc). Each time I'd keep the two or three things, thinking I might need it some day.

I'm whittling my pack rat collection down. But I'm also picking up some stuff from in-laws that are downsizing from a house to retirement apartment. I'm being selective in what I take, and I will get rid of it if I decide it isn't worth keeping.

Like others have said, with mementos, you may realize that keeping just one small thing is enough to remind you of the event or whatever.

Good luck,

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
To get the momentum going, I start with the underwear drawer, no need for three boxes, storing for a while to see if they are missed, or re-using as rags, just toss them, then after that success, I move on to another area.

I live in an apartment building but there are not enough storage rooms so I store my old stuff in a burned out area of the basement. Every once in a while the landlord hires someone to dispose of the stuff in "common areas." Gives us a couple of weeks warning and I rescue what I want. I find I can be more ruthless this way; last time he missed a whole section of my stuff and I was disappointed. I also have a charity pick up my better stuff.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...
Here's a good page with decluttering tips:

Cut Clutter! Index - OrganizedHome.Com
TromboneAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #27
I decided last weekend that there is NO reason to keep any journals that are over ten years old, or even old technical reports. If I really want to keep a hand in when I retire (which I doubt), then I can get up-to-date information via inter-library loan. They aren't exactly light reading, but probably a library can use them. So, out they go.

Next: unusable, torn, shabby luggage. I have nice luggage and the old stuff is outta here!

And then there are those clothes and shoes that I never wear, even though they fit and aren't very worn. Off to Goodwill.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Next: unusable, torn, shabby luggage. I have nice luggage and the old stuff is outta here!
For our last two trips my spouse found roller suitcases at garage sales-- $1 each. At those prices I don't have to care what happens to the luggage or the contents.

My next personal challenge is reducing a week's luggage to a backpack. Including the laptop...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Refusing the grandfather clock!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Refusing the grandfather clock!

This thread has inspired me as well.

Years ago, my parents built a beautiful grandfather's huge, over 7 feet tall, solid cherry, chimes on the quarter hour, etc...and it stands in a place of honor in my Dad's house. For years, my brother and I each coveted this clock -- not as a timepiece, but as a tangible reminder of our parents and their skills. I thought that I would fight my brother to the end for custody of the clock.

I no longer feel that way. I recently realized I don't want the burden of having to keep it, and move it with us wherever we end up. So, my brother will inherit it...I am at peace.

Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote