So... what are we all retiring to???

Probably be a bit like when I graduated high school. A week or so of alternating between party and hangover, followed by the thought....hmmm, what do I want to do with the rest of my life?

I have gone through so many stages in my life. My level of interest in hobbies and material items change constantly. Thus, my goal is to retire at an early age with a healthy mind and body so as to be capable of pursuing whatever suits me on any given day.

When the young wife and I hang it up for good, we are going to take a long (maybe 3 months) car trip around this great country of ours and see all the things we have always wanted to see. I'm thinking of getting t-shirts or hats reading -- "Gumby and Pokey's Great Big Road Trip". We want to see such things as Mobile, New Orleans, Vicksburg, the Alamo, Mount Rushmore, the Little Bighorn Battlefield, Yellowstone Park, the Niobrara River, Snake River Canyon, Mesa Verde, Carlsbad Cavern, the Great Salt Lake, and many, many more.

3 months is not that long. Why not make it more like 3 years?

Watch the sun come up when I am up before he is, greet him sleepily later if not.

Lots of landscaping, but at my own pace (I figure it will take a couple years to handle two acres of landscaping myself...if I take my time). Then there is the upkeep.

Can't wait to be able to wake up on a spring or summer or autumn morning, roll over and say to DW, "why don't we go to <insert wherever> today"...then go, and only come back when we are good and ready.

Go to bookstores and libraries to read.

Give a friend a hand with his solar electric business from time to time (big hobby of mine, but don't want to do it so much it becomes w*rk).

Take a dip in the pool when I'm out piddling around a project and decide it is time for a break.

Cook and eat much healthier than today.

Exercise more (that won't be hard considering it is next to zero now).

Hike in the mountains, around a nearby lake and river. Camp with DW, or by myself for a couple days if she doesn't feel like going.

Get a dog, probably golden retriever, and have a great time tossing sticks out to be fetched.

About 18 months to go....looking forward to it.

R

Interesting, 3 people mentioned piano.

That's my lifetime hobby. Its a great hobby too in that you can continue to get better into your later years. Its not like many athletic pursuits where you peak in your 20s or 30s.

I also intend to travel a lot (as I do now).

I'm also a big reader. I like studying, I could see getting advanced degrees for fun.

I want to stop and smell the roses. Read and explore new areas of knowledge. Exercise more and get healthier. Spend time with friends and make new ones. Travel for pleasure.

my life of work was routine but i don't want to die a cozy life. i want to shake it up a little. i've lead a comfortable life of the familiar and the predictable. but knowing just where to find every item i want in the supermarket does nothing to challenge me. i want to explore. i want surprise & discovery.

the world is a mystery to me. i want to live in the places i've read about in national geographic. i want to look into the eyes of the faces i've seen on television, to befriend people from other cultures, to smell their breath.

i want to avoid isolation in retirement. i want to sell this house, to sell this car, to rid myself of possession, to live an unencumbered life. when it is time for me to die, all my heirs will need disperse is any remaining cash & any remaining memories.

Read a lot more than I do.
Paint a lot more than I do.
Hang out at bookstores, museums, and cafes.
Nap in my hammock all day! ( I have to get a hammock first)

I want to retire to never having to spend time around people I don't like.

Someone wrote that retiring was never having to be around people you didn't like (not sure if it was here). I realized that being forced to spend time with people I don't like is the hardest thing about going to work. In every job I have had, there have been people I have had to spend time with on a daily basis that, if given the choice, I would never get near. No matter what activity I choose to do in retirement, it will be with people I choose to be around.

I love the idea of never spending time with people you don't like again. At least avoid them in large doses anyway. And after one too many meetings discussing the same thing over and over again with no solution - no more meetings!

We plan to move south to Mexico to start. As long as we have a dog we'll stick to North America. Eventually PT. Seventeen months to go. We might work part-time after that but it will be our choice.

I've been a professoinal pilot all of my grown up life, always flying military missions or flying passengers for an airline.

In aviation, you make the least amount of money teaching new people to fly. Once I'm ER, I would like to go to one of the small airports and get back into flying for fun. Teaching new pilots to fly helicopters and airplanes and make close to nothing by doing it.

Plus I would like to continue woodworking, which I really enjoy doing and travel with my wife and spoil my kids with attention and small favors.

When my wife retires in 2 years we intend to move from Long Island, NY to the southwest, either Reno, southwestern Oregon or Arizona. We want to be in an area with low humidity and with less snow then we have here. We have been playing with the idea of buying a small camper or RV so we can fulfill our desire to visit places we have never been to.
Where on Long Island are you?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom