Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Not quite answering your question, but thought I offer an alternative. You could save quite a bit on the purchase price if willing to consider a 2005-2007 Ford Freestar with low miles. Not as up to date as the Toyota/Honda but can be had for a good price. Just did a quick check on cars.com (Boston area )and saw a 2005 Limited version with 36K miles for $14K. May not be as reliable as T/H (hint: change tranny fluid every 30K per owner's manual) but you'd save a bundle up front. I've got two of these vans. Though may have to look at replacing in 5 years or so rather than 10.
Agree with other posters that if I was looking for Sienna/Odyssey I'd buy new. I've been leery of Chrysler QC to consider one of their vans, know too many folks that have had troublesome Chrysler vans.

Good luck on your search.

RE2Boys
We had a Ford Windstar (Freestar is basically the Windstar with some cosmetic updates). This Van needed new steering column and tranny repair within the first 50k miles.
It is good that you have two of these vans, one to drive and one for spare parts. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Agreed. The "buy 1-2 years old" strategy still works to some degree for some makes, but Toyotas and Hondas depreciate in so close to a straight line that I'd prefer buying new there.
My sister (who had bought used for many years) said that it is not even straight line...

Here example... if a car is good for 150,000 miles... and they have 75,000 on it... they are asking MORE than half of the original price...

She just bought a new Camry... got $6k off sticker...

Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Somewhat on a side note....if you are after enough room to seat 4-5 uite comfortably and still have some room and decent mpg (30+ highway).....Subaru Outback? The new ones are comfy, little short of power on the 2.5 CVT.....but good enough.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
I would go with the Toyota. We had a Honda with transmission problems at 120K. I think it's fairly uncommon but it left a bad taste. On the other hand, our 1999 Lexus is still going strong.

Buying new seems to make sense since both brands depreciate slowly. (This is a case of "do as I say, not as I do," since I have never bought a new car, either.)

Yes, Honda and Acura was having a lot of problems with their 6 cyl vehicles and 5 speed trannys... it was NOT uncommon... One guy at work had 3 within 100K on his Acura... another had 2 within 30K on his Honda minivan... I bought a 2004 Acura (with manual) and they had a recall on the autos to install a new oil sprayer... I think they finally found and fixed the problem...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Motorweek just had a quick review of the new Honda... can not remember much about it, but they said it handled a lot better than any other minivan...

I don't think you can go wrong with either...
Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #26

We're partial to the Odyssey - had a 1999 and now a 2008. Test drove the Sienna but preferred the ride and handling of the Honda. YMMV.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My sister (who had bought used for many years) said that it is not even straight line...

Here example... if a car is good for 150,000 miles... and they have 75,000 on it... they are asking MORE than half of the original price...
Because of inflation. The price to compare it to is not the original price for the used car. You might want to compare it to the selling price of a new model to get the economics right.

Still, when you look at the all-in costs of a car including interest, insurance, registration and repairs, it just may work out that the 75k car is quite the bargain.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Either is great. I'd go new also, no one else's cooties to worry about.

Ha
I hate cooties...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #29

We currently have a 2002 Honda CR-V, 100000 miles on it. No problems with it at all. Have had three Hondas before it. All ran well.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Back in 2001, we were making the same decision. We test drove both and found the ride and feel of the Sienna to be superior to the (stiff feeling) Honda.

The Sienna has been a good car; solid and reliable at about 80K miles. Note: We keep the car maintained pretty well. We've never been stranded anywhere. The only non wear and tear item to fail was an oxygen sensor - repair about $200.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2good View Post
We own a 2005 Toyota Sienna. And it has a sunroof (I don't know why Calgary Girl could not get the Sienna with sunroof).
We had 1 issue so far: the stereo display would act up (not readable). It seems to reset when the car is turned off. This happened a few years ago and seems to be self-correcting? No problems within the last 2 years. Maybe they fixed it at the dealership when I had it there for oil change. I don't remember.
I bought our son and his family a 2005 Sienna when grandchild #3 arrived. That was a while ago, but as I recall we prefered the Sienna because it performed as well as the Honda and was available in a low tier trim line called the "CE" which beat Honda's price by thousands. And, BTW, that low tier trim line is still nicely appointed and has all the same mechanics.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

OP:

Funny, you decide upon a Honda or Toyota Van. Receive many comments on other brands and/or non-van vehicles.

Oh, my odyssey recquired a transmission replacement at 42,000. (4 speed). Currently have 98,000. Started making a slight whine.
Like when the van had 42,000 miles.

Be sure to read the website I posted. Check out the Forums section.

Then check out the honda van year you are interested in.

Lots of good advice at that website.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #33

My wife and I are now driving the most expensive car we ever had, a 2002 Dodge Neon bought used 5 years ago for $6000. It still works fine -- garage bills have been less than $1000. When we decided to get the Neon, I thought the price premium for used Japanese cars was ludicrous. But I'm not much of a car person (and am pretty much of a tightwad).
Old 10-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2good View Post
We own a 2005 Toyota Sienna. And it has a sunroof (I don't know why Calgary Girl could not get the Sienna with sunroof).
We had 1 issue so far: the stereo display would act up (not readable). It seems to reset when the car is turned off. This happened a few years ago and seems to be self-correcting? No problems within the last 2 years. Maybe they fixed it at the dealership when I had it there for oil change. I don't remember.
They have sun in Canada?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. After reading your responses and thinking it over, I don't feel as guilty for going with a new car for the first time in my life ...

We're pretty set on a minivan; 2 kids already, with maybe more to come. Plus we often have family over from the old country for extended visits and end up needing room for an extra person or two.

We're going for some test drives this weekend, so we'll see which feels better. My old Toyota has been so good to me (and it's almost like an abusive relationship, since I haven't been very good to it!) that I'm leaning toward the Toyota for now based on a customer loyalty thing.

And this here little advertisement for the Sienna that had me laughing out loud:

Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Whoever came up with the Toyota sienna adds is a genius . They always have me laughing out loud.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

The reviews indicate the new Sienna has a cheaper interior than the previous model.

Also, Honda just came out with the redesigned Odyssey. You might be able to get a new 2010 and save quite a few $$ vs. the newest model.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

Avoid the Sienna with run-flat tires. They wear out quickly and are expensive to replace.

You can replace with 'normal' tires - but there is no spot for a spare.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #39

When I bought my Honda Pilot it was actually cheaper to buy a new one. I shopped for a left over 2006 when the 2007s were on the lot. There was a $3000 or $4000 rebate, and I found a place that sold at invoice (and admitted to the rebate up front, unlike some of the other dealers I visited).
Old 10-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #40

Between family business and personal vehicles I've had 6 Chrysler (as in Dodge and Plymouth or Chrysler) vans (caravans, grand caravans, voyager). While not extremely reliable (primarily transmission issues) these vehicles have generally given good, and relatively inexpensive service. We always new when a tranny was going out, so it wasn't a matter of getting stranded.

I would agree that Honda and Toyota are "better" vehicles, but by buying a 2 or 3 year old Ford or Chrysler van, you stand a decent chance of coming out ahead on a per mile cost basis (considering you MIGHT have worse reliability but for certain a much lower initial cost.) Most of our Chryslers went 150 K before replacement. A transmission job (average of one per vehicle) was $1600 to $2000. fuel mileage would likely be comparable (maybe a bit better with the Japanese vehicles). Insurance should be much less with older domestic vehicles.

One other thing - I never considered it a tragedy to get a ding or scratch on a 3 or 4 year old caravan (could probably pick one up for $10K to $14K or less). On a new $35,000 to $40,000 Odyssey, I'd cry if it got dinged!

As always, YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote