Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #141
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Right know he is singing Reelin and a Rockin-- "Well I looked at my watch, and to my surprise, I was dancing with a woman twice my size..."

Allelujah, carry me over there!

Makes me want to get up and dance like I did back the day.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Makes me want to get up and dance like I did back the day.
Ok, grab Frankie and head over to the Rock 'n Bowl, hear?

Calendar for Dec 6 - Jan 6 2012 @ Rock 'n' Bowl

You can catch this guy on Dec 14. More close dancing, but that's mucho cool, right?

Ha

Old 12-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #143
Administrator

Quote:
Ok, grab Frankie and head over to the Rock 'n Bowl, hear?

Calendar for Dec 6 - Jan 6 2012 @ Rock 'n' Bowl

You can catch this guy on Dec 14. More close dancing, but that's mucho cool, right?

Ha
I'm so surprised that you have heard of the Rock 'n' Bowl! It's a New Orleans institution. My work used to have a bowling league and they'd party down at the Rock 'n' Bowl.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm so surprised that you have heard of the Rock 'n' Bowl! It's a New Orleans institution. My work used to have a bowling league and they'd party down at the Rock 'n' Bowl.
I've been there to dance. A lot of Seattle people go down there for Zydeco. If I come down again I'll give you and Frank a call and we'll catch Geno or Rockin' Dopsie. A Zydeco dance up here is ful of guys wearing bowling shirts. I notice that Geno only costs $7. Up here it would be $18 or so. Of course, he has to get here and that is part of it. The other part I guess is all the great musicians down there forcing down the price.

You still bowl?

Ha
Old 12-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #145
Administrator

No, I haven't bowled since I was a teenager. I didn't join the bowling league at work, because I didn't think I'd be good enough. Frank and I don't dance, either. We're complete stick-in-the-muds. But back at the time of this Chuck Berry song, I'd dance sometimes.

But Concept2? Now THAT I've done recently.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But Concept2? Now THAT I've done recently.
Right, and that is what this thread is about.

I'm going to make a playlist of songs about 140 to 160 bpm which if I key to the downbeat, should give me SPMs of 35 to 40. So far, I have felt it best to finish the catch on the 'and' after 4, and when I am making my strongest pull to be right on the one, although different music feels different.

For me it removes the drudgery and the feeling that I have to push. All I have to do is stay with the music, which makes me happy anyway.

I'll give my list when I finish it.

Ha
Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ha, Are you exclusively a ballroom dancer or do you ever do anything more exotic like a break dancing? I can just visualize you doing one of those head spins
Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #148
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Ha, Are you exclusively a ballroom dancer or do you ever do anything more exotic like a break dancing? I can just visualize you doing one of those head spins
Well, that would explain some of his posts.

Just kidding....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wish! But no chance. I love to go and see the challenges sometimes over at Seattle Center. These young guys are amazing. The drummers are amazing too.

ha
Old 12-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #150

Quote:
I've been experimenting with better motivation to get me on the seat early enough in the day that no matter how engaged I get in some other activity I get enough milage to keep my 7 day ma comfortably above my ytd ma.

Hands down for motivation I recommend 50s rockabilly- Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, the Collins Kids, the best of the best rockers. And at least as regards Chuck Berry, what great lyrics. It doesn't hurt that when I listen to this music and exert myself I see some bouncy blond with a cute butt wearing Spaldings and rockin out with me in the school lunchroom after a basketball game.
The C2 machines at the gym are parked in front of windows that overlook the pools and there are often attractive sights to be seen there.

Failing that, I can just adjust my vision up a little and I'm looking across the lake and right at my doctor's office and the hospital. Visions of him, his nurse and all the pharma reps holding out insulin, statins, and blood pressure meds is enough to motivate me to row harder and longer.

Gave up on finding a used C2 at a reasonable price and ordered one from the mfgr. At home I will be able to look out over at the neighbor's pool but the sights aren't so hot there. Guess I'll buy a cheap TV and watch that instead.

Quote:
I'm going to make a playlist of songs about 140 to 160 bpm ...For me it removes the drudgery and the feeling that I have to push. All I have to do is stay with the music, which makes me happy anyway.
Music gets me in the groove as well, but I'm just listening for the beat to keep me in the right pace. I started it while riding my bike and found Podrunner ( Podrunner: Free Workout Music Mixes) The guy makes podcasts of about an hour's worth of music at a certain BPM and posts them on iTunes. For biking I find 180 BPM works well, and while I'm still working on what's optimal for rowing, I've found 145 BPM to be okay.

Definitely not Rockabilly music though.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
The C2 machines at the gym are parked in front of windows that overlook the pools and there are often attractive sights to be seen there.
That is ideal. I hope you can find a way to get some time in there as well as at home on your new machine. BTW, congrats on getting one.

One year I went to a gym in Everett Wa that mostly catered to the steroid crowd. But they had a few treadmills set up above a dancefloor where some gal was teaching belly dance. Superior!

About that music, I think I'll take the rockabilly.

Ha
Old 12-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #152
Administrator

I don't see how you guys can watch the scenery while working out on the C2! Must be motivation. When I am on the C2 I am generally watching the watts and thinking about my form, or trying to figure out how to keep the perspiration out of my eyes without rowing one handed. Maybe my preoccupation with what I am doing on the C2 is because I am more of a newbie on that machine.

Here's some music, Ha... an upbeat song that really got me going at the gym. I posted it on this other thread:

Songs that make you dance

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't see how you guys can watch the scenery while working out on the C2!
Piece of cake. Doctors can do heart surgery while while keeping an eye on a cute nurse. Surely even a lesser mortal like me can row the C2 while watching girls.

Quote:
Here's some music, Ha... an upbeat song that really got me going at the gym. I posted it on this other thread:

Songs that make you dance
Thanks for the tune, it's good. I remember it from when I was a kid.

Ha
Old 01-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

In my new place my C2 is in a separate room from my computer/stereo/TV. So no more watching TV while I row. But I tried my Ipod with podcasts, and also with music. In both cases, the C2 made so much noise that I didn't want to turn up the volume enough to hear, because my hearing is still pretty good and I want to keep it that way.

But today I tried a pair of good shooting earmuffs that I mostly use to make grinding coffee a quieter job. I just put these on over my in-ear Sony earpieces and I hear no background noise at all. The volume I need while rowing is the same as when I am sitting quietly, so I think this will work well.

Also, I notice that I row comfortably with music about 15 sec/500m faster than without. I mean my perceived effort is equal, but my output is faster.

Ha
Old 01-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #155

Quote:
In my new place my C2 is in a separate room from my computer/stereo/TV. So no more watching TV while I row. But I tried my Ipod with podcasts, and also with music. In both cases, the C2 made so much noise that I didn't want to turn up the volume enough to hear, because my hearing is still pretty good and I want to keep it that way.

But today I tried a pair of good shooting earmuffs that I mostly use to make grinding coffee a quieter job. I just put these on over my in-ear Sony earpieces and I hear no background noise at all. The volume I need while rowing is the same as when I am sitting quietly, so I think this will work well.

Also, I notice that I row comfortably with music about 15 sec/500m faster than without. I mean my perceived effort is equal, but my output is faster.

Ha
We have a TV commercial here in Texas, where this guy taught three guinea pigs to row a skull, two of them are rowers and the third owe shouts out the cadence, row, row, row......

Its pretty funny and it makes me think of you each time it airs.

Edit to add link:
Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have a TV commercial here in Texas, where this guy taught three guinea pigs to row a skull, two of them are rowers and the third owe shouts out the cadence, row, row, row......

Its pretty funny and it makes me think of you each time it airs.
As it happens, I look just like the rower in the stern.

Ha
Old 01-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #157
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
In the middle section of my 1:10 workout today I was going at 38-42 SPM, depending on the music, and keeping good form and doing 2:40 splits with enough breath left over to sing along with Chuck.
I've seen you post you have about 500,000 meters in. Those numbers look odd to me. A normal work out would be at a SPM of 22 to 25, drag set to 3-5. A 2:40/500 pace sounds slow to me for a man with 500k done. A man in shape should be able to row near is weight in watts for 20+ minutes. A 2:40/500 pace = 85 watts so if you are 85 lbs you are fine.

There is lots of discussion at c2forum.com and info at concept.com and concept2.co.uk.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #158
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
I think you can get a very thorough workout on the C2, especially if you set the resistance at 10, pay attention to your form, and then try to keep the average watts up. Set some goals for yourself.
Partly wrong.

Its not resistance its a damper setting that affects drag. The suggested setting is 3, just do that and forget it. A setting of 10 is a beginner error and typically hides technique errors.

The goal should be to row 20-24 SPM at a pace that you can maintain for 25 minutes. It's a cardio-endurance exercise, you need to put time in. With fitness you should be able to row your weight in watts for 25 mins.

You would start with 5 minutes, break for 1, then 5 more. Do that twice, then add 5 more. Repeat until you can get to 25.

BTW you wondered why they would buy all those expensive machines..... C2 rowers are cheap and reliable. Cost just $1000, have an excellent 2/5 year warranty and require little maintenance (wipe rail daily, oil chain monthly). Compare that to a treadmill at $4000, 1 yr wrnty, plus they need plenty of maint under hard use.

The C2 rower hits so much muscle, legs, back, shoulders, arms. The treadmill and bike... no where near as much.

Lots of info at the Concept2.com and Concept2.co.uk sites.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by interalia View Post
I've seen you post you have about 500,000 meters in. Those numbers look odd to me. A normal work out would be at a SPM of 22 to 25, drag set to 3-5. A 2:40/500 pace sounds slow to me for a man with 500k done. A man in shape should be able to row near is weight in watts for 20+ minutes. A 2:40/500 pace = 85 watts so if you are 85 lbs you are fine.

There is lots of discussion at c2forum.com and info at concept.com and concept2.co.uk.
Thanks so much. I do hope you will allow me to continue my feeble efforts?

Ha
Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by interalia View Post
A man in shape should be able to row near his weight in watts for 20+ minutes.
I've been using this formula and sticking to this guideline, frankly I think this C2 rower doesn't offer much of a workout. I weigh 12.5 stone.