Concept2 One Month Report

Well, then I'm definitely not anywhere near my body's design limit yet. :D Not even slightly close. Guess I should just keep plugging away at it. I'll try increasing the weights more slowly and see if I can just sneak past that level this time. Maybe I just haven't been patient enough. I do tend to get pretty excited about the possibility of exceeding that level as I approach it, and maybe I push myself a little more than I should during those weeks.

Last edited:
Well, then I'm definitely not anywhere near my body's design limit yet. :D Not even slightly close. Guess I should just keep plugging away at it. I'll try increasing the weights more slowly and see if I can just sneak past that level this time. Maybe I just haven't been patient enough. I do tend to get pretty excited about the possibility of exceeding that level as I approach it, and maybe I push myself a little more than I should during those weeks.

If you're at all serious about this, I highly recommend enlisting a trainer, if only for a session or two to check your form (crucial!) and help you set goals. As a woman who grew up before Title IX, I didn't do any weight training until past middle age, and it's taken forever to even learn how to engage some of those muscles in my upper body, because women instinctively use their lower body more. I accomplished most of my muscle work as a young woman with my legs and back. Can't get away with that now - owie. But after years and some guidance, I have made progress. You can too.

As I understand it, that happens when you can bench your weight.

I'm not sure what purpose that serves, but that seems to be a standard...
It's a powerlifter thing - the Big 3 standard by which they compare themselves are squats, deadlifts and the bench press.

As for design limit on the bench press, for 20-something males I think doing body weight is about average (a 50-something doing that is probably in the top 10%). 150% is pretty impressive, and bench presses of twice one's body-weight seems to be freak-of-nature status (less than 1% of the 20-something population maybe).

World-record types can do more than 2 times their body-weight, but I read in the last year or so that the current record holder got busted for steroid possession. I guess that circumvents the manufacturer's design limits - and violates the hell out of the warranty.

I've been using a 5x5 scheme, using heavier weights and fewer reps. Has been a time saver, and will definitely kick ones assets. The theory is more muscle activation, and it seems to work. I use machines, though, for convenience and safety.

On the bench press, I alternate between 5x5 and 3x10 changing from one to other every 3-4 months. BP is not one of my stronger lifts due to past shoulder injuries and the frame God gave me, but right now I can BP 215 using free weights for 3 reps (I'm ~ 196 lbs without clothes). I pyramid up to that from 135. My goal for the year is to get to 225 lb for 3-5 reps.

In my opinion, if you have access, free weights are better than machines because they provide a better range of motion and they will fix any stability issues you may have, provided you progress slowly and use good form. IIRC on a machine, I can BP ~ 300 lbs. That said, for some people and on certain lifts, machines are probably safer.

What impresses me is when I see a guy weighing 160-165 putting up 315. I don't know why the BP seems to be such a standard for measuring strength, as to me the squat and deadlift are the more important ones.

I am thinking of buying a Concept2. I've been watching Craigslist and occasionally there is one for sale, high price (IMO) and doesn't last long.

I am close to Boston, but the discount doesn't make it worth it after I factor in the gas and PITA factor of the 1 hour trip to Boston and 1 hour return.

The Gym at work just got 4 brand new ones but I am unable to work out there without getting in trouble from management for "working out on company time" so figure I may just buy one for home use.

What a great perk to have a free gym at work! Maybe you can just sign out at the end of the day and use it then. :)

Management here is set in the 1950s style. We have a Flintstones steam whistle. They don't care what you are doing, as long as you are in your seat at the start and end of the day.

I prefer to be project based. If I get my stuff done on time and its good quality, then who cares what I do inbetween?

I can't do before work or after due to child care and commuting issues.

No, we really do have a steam whistle. It goes off at 1130, 1200 and 1530.

Hit 2,000,000 meters today

I logged 2,000,000 meters on my C2 today. I don't try very hard, but I have been able to stick to it pretty well. My I-Pod is a huge help. There are so many interesting podcasts. Then the following day I'll have some music, etc.

It took me 8 months to get the first million meters, but only 5 for the next. And I took almost the entire month of August off to go to the beach. Our winter weather has set in, and although it is not at all cold, the outdoors is not particularly inviting most days, so instead of a long walk, I tend to row.

Then my walking to do shopping, go places, etc is tacked onto the end.

I haven't yet been able to motivate myself to row in the am, but I hope I will get there eventually.

So far it is the only exercise I have done that is clearly associated with improving lipid markers, and that helps me continue also.

Ha

That's excellent Ha! It's great to find a workout that you can enjoy even after 2,000,000 meters.

Last edited:
So far it is the only exercise I have done that is clearly associated with improving lipid markers, and that helps me continue also.

Ha

Congrats Ha, your a work horse! I was complaining to my Dr recently about my low HDL and that I attribute it to my genetics. He indicated the only type of exercise that will improve HDL is aerobic and getting your heart rate up in its target zone. I don't do much in this area and need to incorporate more of that vs just weight lifting. Do you track your heart rate when using the C2?

Ha, your persistence and success with the Concept2 is inspiring! Congratulations on reaching the 2 million meter mark. :clap:

I logged 2,000,000 meters on my C2 today. I don't try very hard, but I have been able to stick to it pretty well. My I-Pod is a huge help. There are so many interesting podcasts. Then the following day I'll have some music, etc.

It took me 8 months to get the first million meters, but only 5 for the next. And I took almost the entire month of August off to go to the beach. Our winter weather has set in, and although it is not at all cold, the outdoors is not particularly inviting most days, so instead of a long walk, I tend to row.

Then my walking to do shopping, go places, etc is tacked onto the end.

I haven't yet been able to motivate myself to row in the am, but I hope I will get there eventually.

Ha

1242.74 miles! You're almost to Denver, Ha...

Congrats Ha, your a work horse! I was complaining to my Dr recently about my low HDL and that I attribute it to my genetics. He indicated the only type of exercise that will improve HDL is aerobic and getting your heart rate up in its target zone. I don't do much in this area and need to incorporate more of that vs just weight lifting. Do you track your heart rate when using the C2?
@ DFW,

I do not. I have 2 protocols. Many days I just row at a moderate no-strain pace for 10 k or so. Other days I intersperse this with a 25 stroke hard row, followed by a recovery of about 50 strokes easier. This is one rep, and I usually do 10.

It is all pretty casual though. I haven't noticed much HDL change, as my HDL has always been fairly high. I do think that your Doc is correct. The same training that will improve your maximum oxygen usage will improve your HDL, and that is classical aerobic HR training. I am not sure, but sprints may be just as good for this.

In contrast, it appears that blood sugar and LDL or LDL-P lowering, as well as triglyceride lowering, responds very well to moderate aerobic exercise of sufficient volume, even without improvements in athletic conditioning.

I look at the workouts that many here are doing, and they seem Herculean. It would be hard for me to maintain motivation for something that aerobically demanding.

@All- Thanks for the encouragement. Lately it seems that persistence is the only thing I am still any good at. :)

Ha

Last edited:
@All- Thanks for the encouragement. Lately it seems that persistence is the only thing I am still any good at. :)

Ha

"I'm not totally useless; I can always be used as a bad example..."

HFWR

3,000 km on my rower as of today

I turned over 3 million meters on my C2 today. To be exact, 3,003,119 m. Rowing is the only aerobic exercise that I just enjoy doing, even when only rowing in my living room. For the most part, I just cruise along, watching a movie and listening with wireless phones.

I bought this Model D from Concept2 on September 15 2011. I was undecided on whether to buy this one, or the Dynamic, which has a different mechanism and supposedly mimics better the feel of rowing in a shell. I suppose to some extent this is true, as in a shell the rower is essentially pushing the boat underneath him while on the D he is pushing himself back along the slide. But I found tried out the Dynamic at a rowing club, and couldn't se much practical difference. Also the D is easier to move around, is pretty much foolproof and indestructible, and I think the movement back and forth may be part of why it seems not to become boring. I appreciate the easy moving, as I place it up tight behind my couch where it is not in the way, but I can pivot it around to see my TV screen, or pull it over to my deck on hot days.

I think I may also try a stand up paddle board, as long as it doesn’t make my hip sore. This would be more for pure recreation, down on Lake Washington, rather that flat out exercise per se.

Ha

Ha,

I think the C2 folks would be smart to use you as their poster boy. I still haven't bought one as I am waiting to see how it might fit after we downsize.

I turned over 3 million meters on my C2 today. To be exact, 3,003,119 m. Rowing is the only aerobic exercise that I just enjoy doing, even when only rowing in my living room. For the most part, I just cruise along, watching a movie and listening with wireless phones.
I bought mine around the same time you got yours IIRC, and really enjoyed it. Alas, at less than a year of serious use I injured my lower spine (unrelated to the machine, I believe) and was advised to stop rowing. Not sure that advice was based on evidence but the stakes being fairly high, I surrendered.

That said, I strongly recommend the machine to anyone in good back health. I sold it at a decent price on Craig's List.

Thanks DFW! I did call a few months ago to ask about a new log card, and K.C., the customer service person I talked to told me that I had greater than average use. They have mileage marker clubs; my next opportunity will be at 5,000,000m. I love their customer service. They are all very familiar with their products.

I am just very pleased that it seems basically not to require any willpower in my case, and willpower needs to be conserved for important issues. :)

@Rich- I am very sorry to hear of your back trouble. I knew you had developed some issue, but I hadn't seen any more than that. Sorry you had to give up the rower, but more glad that you are ok and doing well. Good that you got a good price.

Ha

I couldn't stand it and just ordered a Concept2, Model D rowing machine with PM3 monitor. What a great machine! I have used them at my gym and think they are fun and challenging.

I have been waffling about buying one of my own since this thread began. Starting next Wednesday, my gym is closing for 10 days to refinish the floor. That was enough to push me over to the dark side. >:D I knew it wouldn't take much. :D

Looking forward to trying it out in my [-]half-baked[/-] (now more fully baked) home gym room, which already has a stationary bike, 55" TV with DVD player and exercise videos, and Wii Fit.

Back
Top Bottom