Concept2 One Month Report

I thought of you guys while rowing my $44 piston smooth rowing machine today.>:D

What kind of rower do you have? I have a Precor piston type that I've had for a good 20 years. I used to use it a lot but have gotten away from it the last 7 or 8 years. Now with my renewed interest in rowing due to the C2 at the gym I'm going to dust it off and try it some at home. As I recall, it felt different than the C2 does and I'm not sure which gives a better workout.

I quit working out on the Concept2 last week. I was mostly riding it for novelty, to "spice up" my workout. After a while it just wasn't a novelty for me any more (imagine that? :LOL:). Oh well.

Now I'm just doing my weight lifting, but have been able to increase my weights so I am happier with that workout than I was, and don't need the novelty any more. I really think the C2 provides a fantastic workout. I'll probably start using it again after a while (and more seriously), but for now I'm taking a break.

I think the Concept2 is a fantastic machine and probably even better if you own one, and can work out on it frequently. I was just working out on it when we were at the gym (MWF only). I love the fact that you can find out what others of your age and gender can do on the C2, and I find that to be so inspiring.

friar1610 said:
What kind of rower do you have? I have a Precor piston type that I've had for a good 20 years. I used to use it a lot but have gotten away from it the last 7 or 8 years. Now with my renewed interest in rowing due to the C2 at the gym I'm going to dust it off and try it some at home. As I recall, it felt different than the C2 does and I'm not sure which gives a better workout.

It's a Tunturi, very simple, no electronics. it may be more pleasing to use a Concept 2, but I'm not sure how a C2 could give a better workout.

I am almost 40% of the way to one million km on mine. Some days I row moderately fast (for an old guy), some days slow and easy with the telly on. I will likely get more distance in winter, as on nice days in the fall I often preferred to go outside walking. Since I started on September 10, I have burned 32,000 kilocalories rowing and walking, with walking figured at 80 kc/mile, which I think is quite conservative for my hilly walking, often with a pack. Rowing accounts for 18,000 kc of the 32,000 total. In total, this amounts to 414 kc per day, 7days a week, since my start date. I do not get bored rowing or walking, and I am very happy about that. On days that I row farther, I get ravenously hungry by the evening meal, so my weight has stayed about where it was, maybe a few pounds lighter.

I do not know if it has improved my health status, but I do look a bit better. It certainly cannot hurt my health, and it does make me feel better about my day.

One poster joked that I was the pied piper of rowing, and I admit to being very enthusiastic, but for sure there are may other things that might be better for others. (Probably not to include piston rowers for many of us.):)

Ha

Last edited:
Ha, those are some awesome statistics and results, especially when considering that the 425 kcal is an average,and not just certain days when everything was optimal.

I'm sure your quality of life and well being must be highly improved, as well as your health. What an inspiration you are. :)

Ha, those are some awesome statistics and results, especially when considering that the 425 kcal is an average,and not just certain days when everything was optimal.

I'm sure your quality of life and well being must be highly improved, as well as your health. What an inspiration you are. :)
I changed it to 414, as I had made an error in my formula.

I have a plan to C2 row the navigable length of the Danube, 2412 km. I wont make it this year, but I'll map the distance from the Black Sea mouth to various major cities and historic town along the way, to give me interim goals.

And W2R, thanks for your kind words.

Ha

Oh, well in THAT case.... :2funny: Just kidding. Either number is awesome!!

haha said:
I have a plan to C2 row the navigable length of the Danube, 2412 km. I wont make it this year, but I'll map the distance from the Black Sea mouth to various major cities and historic town along the way, to give me interim goals.

Maybe you could even follow your progress on Google streetview, if it covers riverside towns along the way.

haha said:

You're welcome, of course. In less than 3 months of rowing on your new Concept2, you have accomplished quite a lot.

Since I started on September 10, I have burned 32,000 kilocalories rowing and walking, ...
Ha

Impressive. If one accepts the idea that ~ 3,500 kcals delta equates to about a one pound weight gain/loss, then this has helped you keep off ~ 9# of weight gain in less than 3 months.

I have trouble keeping up with exercise. I started a few months back, then (separate from this), twisted up my back (minor this time), and am now just getting back to it. I do feel better when I do it, it's just so easy to 'fall of the wagon'.

-ERD50

Ha

Impressive goal. Need some Viennese waltz to go along with that.:)

Over the past week I have used my old Precor piston-type rower at home a few times when I couldn't get to the gym. I've found it to be a more strenuous workout (at about 22 strokes per minute) than the Concept 2 (at about 28 strokes per minute with the setting about 6.) It seems to stress my abs and legs more (but not necessarily my shoulders or upper arms.) I enjoy the Concept 2 workout more, though.

Over the past week I have used my old Precor piston-type rower at home a few times when I couldn't get to the gym. I've found it to be a more strenuous workout (at about 22 strokes per minute) than the Concept 2 (at about 28 strokes per minute with the setting about 6.)

I'm not sure how one could give a more strenuous workout than the other. It all depends on what you put into it, right? With either machine you could row slowly as if on an old-fashioned date on the lake in the park, or as if being pursued by Jaws.

Comparison of Concept 2 with Nautilus Compound Row machine

I have been working out on the Nautilus Compound Row Machine (a weight machine), during the weeks before, during, and after the time when I was working out on the Concept2. I haven't worked out on the Precor machine, but I thought I'd compare the C2 with the Nautilus machine.

The Nautilus machine is more of a weight machine - - I just set the weight at 100 pounds (or whatever), put my feet on the footrests, and pull. While the pulling motion seems superficially similar to the Concept2, the seat doesn't move. I much prefer the C2 because it seems to bring many more back and shoulder muscles into play. Also the Nautilus machine doesn't really allow the legs to do as much (since the seat doesn't move) whereas the C2 exercises them nicely during the first part of the pull.

I think you can get a very thorough workout on the C2, especially if you set the resistance at 10, pay attention to your form, and then try to keep the average watts up. Set some goals for yourself. This machine is used by actual rowers from what I understand. It can provide a very rigorous workout, or just some light, playful movement, depending on how you use it.

This machine is used by actual rowers from what I understand. It can provide a very rigorous workout, or just some light, playful movement, depending on how you use it.
Some university and club rowing programs have upwards of 100 of these. And some of these big and tall men and women can really spin those babies.

I've been experimenting with better motivation to get me on the seat early enough in the day that no matter how engaged I get in some other activity I get enough milage to keep my 7 day ma comfortably above my ytd ma.

Hands down for motivation I recommend 50s rockabilly- Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, the Collins Kids, the best of the best rockers. And at least as regards Chuck Berry, what great lyrics. It doesn't hurt that when I listen to this music and exert myself I see some bouncy blond with a cute butt wearing Spaldings and rockin out with me in the school lunchroom after a basketball game.

In the middle section of my 1:10 workout today I was going at 38-42 SPM, depending on the music, and keeping good form and doing 2:40 splits with enough breath left over to sing along with Chuck.

Only problem its that it puts in full on party mode! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Holy Cow, you were really cookin'!!! :D Chuck Berry is terrific.
Right know he is singing Reelin and a Rockin-- "Well I looked at my watch, and to my surprise, I was dancing with a woman twice my size..."

Allelujah, carry me over there!

Right know he is singing Reelin and a Rockin-- "Well I looked at my watch, and to my surprise, I was dancing with a woman twice my size..."

Allelujah, carry me over there!

Makes me want to get up and dance like I did back the day. :dance:

:LOL: I'm so surprised that you have heard of the Rock 'n' Bowl! It's a New Orleans institution. My work used to have a bowling league and they'd party down at the Rock 'n' Bowl.
I've been there to dance. A lot of Seattle people go down there for Zydeco. If I come down again I'll give you and Frank a call and we'll catch Geno or Rockin' Dopsie. A Zydeco dance up here is ful of guys wearing bowling shirts. I notice that Geno only costs $7. Up here it would be $18 or so. Of course, he has to get here and that is part of it. The other part I guess is all the great musicians down there forcing down the price.

You still bowl?

Ha

Last edited:
No, I haven't bowled since I was a teenager. I didn't join the bowling league at work, because I didn't think I'd be good enough. :) Frank and I don't dance, either. We're complete stick-in-the-muds. ;) But back at the time of this Chuck Berry song, I'd dance sometimes.

But Concept2? Now THAT I've done recently. :D

Last edited:
But Concept2? Now THAT I've done recently. :D
Right, and that is what this thread is about.

I'm going to make a playlist of songs about 140 to 160 bpm which if I key to the downbeat, should give me SPMs of 35 to 40. So far, I have felt it best to finish the catch on the 'and' after 4, and when I am making my strongest pull to be right on the one, although different music feels different.

For me it removes the drudgery and the feeling that I have to push. All I have to do is stay with the music, which makes me happy anyway.

I'll give my list when I finish it.

Ha

Last edited:
Ha, Are you exclusively a ballroom dancer or do you ever do anything more exotic like a break dancing? I can just visualize you doing one of those head spins:LOL:

Ha, Are you exclusively a ballroom dancer or do you ever do anything more exotic like a break dancing? I can just visualize you doing one of those head spins:LOL:
I wish! But no chance. I love to go and see the challenges sometimes over at Seattle Center. These young guys are amazing. The drummers are amazing too.

ha

I've been experimenting with better motivation to get me on the seat early enough in the day that no matter how engaged I get in some other activity I get enough milage to keep my 7 day ma comfortably above my ytd ma.

Hands down for motivation I recommend 50s rockabilly- Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, the Collins Kids, the best of the best rockers. And at least as regards Chuck Berry, what great lyrics. It doesn't hurt that when I listen to this music and exert myself I see some bouncy blond with a cute butt wearing Spaldings and rockin out with me in the school lunchroom after a basketball game.
The C2 machines at the gym are parked in front of windows that overlook the pools and there are often attractive sights to be seen there.

Failing that, I can just adjust my vision up a little and I'm looking across the lake and right at my doctor's office and the hospital. Visions of him, his nurse and all the pharma reps holding out insulin, statins, and blood pressure meds is enough to motivate me to row harder and longer.

Gave up on finding a used C2 at a reasonable price and ordered one from the mfgr. At home I will be able to look out over at the neighbor's pool but the sights aren't so hot there. Guess I'll buy a cheap TV and watch that instead.

I'm going to make a playlist of songs about 140 to 160 bpm ...For me it removes the drudgery and the feeling that I have to push. All I have to do is stay with the music, which makes me happy anyway.
Music gets me in the groove as well, but I'm just listening for the beat to keep me in the right pace. I started it while riding my bike and found Podrunner ( Podrunner: Free Workout Music Mixes) The guy makes podcasts of about an hour's worth of music at a certain BPM and posts them on iTunes. For biking I find 180 BPM works well, and while I'm still working on what's optimal for rowing, I've found 145 BPM to be okay.

Definitely not Rockabilly music though.

Back
Top Bottom