Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #61
You have my sympathies, Bill. I've been following your thread with interest, and thought that this news article might at least make you feel that you are not alone. - Study: Autism Puts Unprecedented Financial Strain on Families - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

More than half a million U.S. children have autism with costly health care needs that often put an unprecedented financial strain on their families, national data show.
Compared with parents whose youngsters have chronic health care needs but not autism, those with autistic children are three times more likely to have to quit their jobs or reduce work hours to care for their kids. They pay more for their kids' health needs, spend more time providing or arranging for that care, and are more likely to have money difficulties, the study found.
"This is the first national survey that looked at the impact on families of having kids with special health care needs," said lead author Michael Kogan, a researcher with the government's Maternal and Child Health Bureau.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Bill, re: the horseback therapy suggestion. By all means, please do follow up on it. We donated a horse to a local therapeutic riding center several years ago and I spent considerable time volunteering with the kids at the center. There's something magical about getting a handicapped kid onto the horse...the horses seem to sense that the rider is special and the riders almost always respond positively to being on the animal. Some of the improvements in the kids were amazing. Don't know why or how it works, but it does.

God bless you and your family.

Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #63
Thanks all. I plan to follow up on the horseback therapy. I read the story about financial strain on They have daily recaps of autism related news items.
I've been making some slow progress. I've found that there is a huge need for these types of services, but few providers, and very long waiting lists. Typical rates for 1 on 1 therapy is $60 an hour and my insurance won't pay for it.
I'm still working the local university angle. I may be able to get grad/undergrad students to work with dd. Probably more affordable, at around $15 an hour.
One of the biggest issues I have now is finding out HOW many hours of therapy dd needs, WHAT type of therapy, and WHO prescribes it. I have some general guidelines, but nothing concrete. I have a call in to DDs pedi to see if he will write a prescription for services (OT, PT, Speech therapy, other therapy).
I think I may have to hire a behavoirist/child psychologist/dev pedi ($125 an hour!) to write a treatment plan. This may specify the # of hours. Then I can work on lining up people, and figuring out how to pay for it.
It is almost like I am hiring my own team, and need to do all the leg work, all the hiring and planning. I'm still amazed that I'm doing this, and not some healthcare provider. Heck, I am an IT guy, I don't know much about how all of this work.
I will be attending a parent support group 2nd week of DEC, so will ask how everyone else did it.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus
I think a treatment plan will be money well spent.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus
You are doing fantastic, I was useless for a long time after my daughter's diagnosis. Just don't take a second job to pay for therapy, time with you is worth more.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #66
Thanks. I'm pretty overwhelmed and tired today. Had a meeting or appointment about dd every day this week. Making progress at least. Pedi neuro said nothing wrong, come back in 6 months. genetics testing next Monday, then I should be done with doc appointments for a while and can focus on lining up therapy.

Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote