Fitbit One Calorie Tracking

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Can the Fitbit be set to ignore its guess of one's background calorie burn, and just use weight, steps, stride and floors ascended to make an estimate of activity calories?

I don't track calories for weight control, but to try to see to it that I use 3000-3500 kc/week in fitness and recreation activities. I came up with this idea from Ralph Paffenbarger MD's researches into exercise and health.

I think the Fitbit is just guessing at my overall burn, including background burn, as it is way too high for my activities alone. Most days I try to get 500kc or close rowing, then whatever I get walking is gravy, but some nice sunny days I just want to be outside rather than in my lr sitting on my rower, even for an hour.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ha

Ha,

I'm not sure if it can be turned off. Never seen a setting for that. But you can determine its estimate for your non-active calorie burn and just subtract that from your daily total to get your active calorie burn.

It's not elegant, but it would work.

Muir

Go to settings (wheel at top). Go to preferances. Go to Calorie estimation and make sure disabled is selected.

This does not get rid of your BMR calories but it will result in a much lower calorie estimation than if it is enabled.

You might also try the free 7 day trial of the premium version (I think it costs about $50 a year). In that you set up a training goal for how many calories you want to burn a day on activity. Then you will have a widget on the page which tells you how many calories you burned a day in activity.

Finally - I think this part is free but since I'm a premium member I'm not sure. Click on the tile for Very active minutes. That will then show your very active minutes for the month. But, see where it says all? Click on all and it will show you your minutes per day of light, moderate and very active activity. If you mouse over each day you see the minutes in each. You will have to add up the totals yourself.

Last edited:
I see. I thought there might a simple turn-off for anything not step based. No real problem, I have a spreadsheet that I think is reasonably good where I assign calorie burn rate to floors and steps based on whatever I can learn about data on these things. Then I just add C2 calories, which I believe are quite accurate.

On days that I do house cleaning, vacuuming, scrubbing, etc., I think it may underestimate, since all I get is steps. But no big deal.

I believe by far the fastest way for most of us to use calories is running. I never really liked running, so I used games. Now, I am not supposed to run. My surgeon said I could play tennis or squash, but some joint replacers feel very differently. I know walking is safe, and so is rowing. So these will likely be my mainstays. I don't really like most gym machines; it's very different from being out in the world. Even when I row at home, I have my big windows to look out, or sometimes a movie on TV so that is somewhat boring but not too bad.

Thanks for the pointers.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom