Gum Pain?

rsingh6675

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone have a gum pain. I am getting a seething needle pain underneath my right tooth when I drink cold or hot water. Does anyone know what is causing it? I don't have Dental Insurance & I don't want to pay too much money.
Thanks.

Does anyone have a gum pain. I am getting a seething needle pain underneath my right tooth when I drink cold or hot water. Does anyone know what is causing it? I don't have Dental Insurance & I don't want to pay too much money.
Thanks.

Insurance or no, I would see your dentist. I have never had dental insurance, but I sure go the dentist anyway. Few things destroy your appearance more than losing teeth. and talk about expense- check out what bridges and implants cost.

Paying a bill to get whatever you may need now (if anything) will be the cheapest dental bill you will pay. If you really have no money, and are not just excessively frugal, go to a dental school.

Always save your teeth.

Ha

I look at going to the dentist regularly as one of the best investments I make. Alternately, I could have them all pulled cheaply but as HaHa suggests that isn't very attractive, it also isn't very functional. Gum pain really should be looked at by a professional. I wouldn't delay it.

OP

Could be stress, are you clenching your teeth at night, teeth grinding?

You might need a "mouth card",

Or, it could be a "inflamed root", you might need a root canal. My dentist always ask about, hot or cold sensitivity.

It will cost money, but you need to see a dentistl. Make installments. Ask friends for a good referal.

Good Luck.

While I am not a dentist, I predict a root canal in your near future. Don't mean to be flip about it, but your symptoms sound like an endodontic problem.

You can take care of it in an orderly manner now, or you can wait until you get excruciating pain at the worst possible time down the road.

The bad new is that root canals are expensive.
The good news is that they are much faster and less uncomfortable than they were decades ago.

Hope I'm wrong. Either way, get thee to a dentist -- we have a few on the board, and maybe they'll offer real advice.

Could be a "recession". Along with the national economy, apparently my mouth is experiencing a recession as well right now. Or so says the dentist from my checkup 2 days ago.

The gum recedes from the tooth and leaves the root exposed. The root has no enamel, so the nerves are directly exposed to contact. My dentist says cold and contact with metal typically causes the most sensitivity. I could feel them poking it with the metal instrument while they were scaling the teeth clean. Apparently it doesn't cause medical issues or further dental issues, it just causes pain and/or sensitivity. Dentist recommended sensodyne toothpaste and said the recession is unlikely to grow back to cover the root.

Or it could that you need a root canal. It's probably worth checking out now when you can control the timing and to a certain extent cost (by shopping around) versus waiting till it rots and gets infected and you have some serious medical issues or a slight case of the death.

Please go to the dentist. You do NOT want to take a chance and possibly develop an abscess. :nonono:

Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone,
I will make dental appointment today.
Raj Singh

My DW works for a dentist and I can tell you now that you need to go see one... it could be as simple as a cavity below the gum line to as has been suggested a root canal... can tell you one thing that keeping your mouth healthy is directly proportional to keeping you body healthy.

The only way to know what the problem is is to go see a dentist and have an x-ray of the tooth. Most dentists will see you on an emergency basis the same day if nec. As was stated prev. if you live near a dental school you can be seen there as well. Good luck and do not wait. It will only get worse.

I'm a dentist-

temp sensitivity can be caused by a whole bunch of different things, so you really need to see a dentist.

I had such pain. The tooth was cracked and was ground down with a cap put on. I had insurance at the time. Even if it happened now I would go to a dentist and get it taken care of!

now i know why his name is novaman... go see a dentist.. and report back!

DW had gum pain recently. The dentist gave her a prescription for penicillin, and said "If the pain doesn't go away, you'll need a root canal." It went away (yeah!).

Could be a "recession". Along with the national economy, apparently my mouth is experiencing a recession as well right now. Or so says the dentist from my checkup 2 days ago.

The gum recedes from the tooth and leaves the root exposed. The root has no enamel, so the nerves are directly exposed to contact. My dentist says cold and contact with metal typically causes the most sensitivity. I could feel them poking it with the metal instrument while they were scaling the teeth clean. Apparently it doesn't cause medical issues or further dental issues, it just causes pain and/or sensitivity. Dentist recommended sensodyne toothpaste and said the recession is unlikely to grow back to cover the root.

Fuego--you should see a periodontist. They can do a tissue graft that will cover the exposed area, as well as a "deep clean" that scales under the gum line. I had this done on one upper canine tooth several months ago and it worked GREAT.

There was one doctor that did the tissue grafts using material from the patient's derriere. But later, this technique came back to bite him in the ass.

Fuego & everybody - a friend with gum troubles sees her dentist 3 times a year - she was VERY happy with the new laser gum/tooth zapping. Said it was amazingly better and less painful than the 'go in by hand and clean out the under-the-gumline crud."

ta,
mew

OP:

Just curious, after you see the dentist. Can you let us know what you had?

My guess, "root canal" ?

DW's pain is back. Time to get a second opinion.

Went to see Dentist today

Went to see dentist today. She prescribed antibiotics and gave me oral surgeon's address & told me to get a tooth removed. It is infected, she said. I am going to try the antibiotics first, before letting my tooth go.

I've had an infected/abscessed tooth. :(

I had to take antibiotics, then they were able to do a root canal on the tooth.

Went to see dentist today. She prescribed antibiotics and gave me oral surgeon's address & told me to get a tooth removed. It is infected, she said. I am going to try the antibiotics first, before letting my tooth go.
The antibiotic is a short term answer and will not solve the problem. The pain and swelling may temporarily go away but rest assured it will be back. You need to go see the oral surgeon or another dentist and have the problem taken care of. I'm a dentist and I have seen this situation many times. Don't wait.

Back
Top Bottom