Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,052
I take a high blood pressure med and a Lipitor knock-off. Then, I take low-dose aspirin, Vit. D, folic acid, flaxseed oil (I have no idea why), Vit. D, fish oil (I have no idea why) and calcium. So, that's total of 9 things I swallow that aren't food. Oh, and Centrum Silver. So, now we are up to ten.

Now, this isn't particularly interesting to me either, but I'm in a competition with MooreBonds (MB doesn't know about this, so don't tell): I'm trying to see if I can get to 500 posts before MB gets to 500 different investments.
__________________

__________________
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I think that's from the flash...I'm still quite tanned right now.
You suntanned the armpits too?
__________________

__________________
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I take a high blood pressure med and a Lipitor knock-off. Then, I take low-dose aspirin, Vit. D, folic acid, flaxseed oil (I have no idea why), Vit. D, fish oil (I have no idea why) and calcium. So, that's total of 9 things I swallow that aren't food. Oh, and Centrum Silver. So, now we are up to ten.
Well, I would count flaxseed oil and fish oil as food. Miniature droplets of food, but food they are.
__________________
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
The cost (in terms of your health) of taking statins may actually be higher than you (and your doctor) think. Here is a quote from one of the articles below:

"... the use of statins in this population is not without considerable risk. Statins frequently produce muscle weakness, lethargy, liver dysfunction and cognitive disturbances ranging from confusion to transient amnesia. They have produced severe rhabdomyolysis that can lead to life-threatening kidney failure."

After doing a lot of research on statins, I personally would not take them.

The truth about statin drugs

5 reasons not to worry about your cholesterol numbers
Though I take statins, I am skeptical and try to find out what I can.

However, what does "frequently produce" (list of symptoms) mean? I also get skeptical with vague statements like that. Just about every drug has side effects. How 'frequent' is 'frequent'?

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 926
Looks like bruising in the armpits to me and I would worry that the nosebleeds are related. Have you heard anything back about the bloodwork?
__________________
CW4, USA-(ret)
RN, BSN-(ret)
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Looks like bruising in the armpits to me and I would worry that the nosebleeds are related. Have you heard anything back about the bloodwork?
Not yet......our doctor was/is going to contact the hospital to see what their tests covered, and whether he should run subsequent/expanded tests to delve further..........the initial hospital bloodwork didn't indicate any problem(s), but perhaps their test wasn't comprehensive enough.

No nosebleeds last night....they MAY have ceased........which may also indicate that there isn't a coagulation problem......it continues to be an enigma wrapped in a mystery.
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Thornton
Posts: 60
On a daily basis currently I take the following supplements:
50+ multi
Zinc
SAM-e
Boron
Vit D
Probiotic

No prescription drugs yet, but I am scheduled for a check up and my doctor my push something for my borderline high blood pressure. My cholesterol is high but I have not been taking anything for it so he may push something on me for that too. I guess at some point resistance is futile.
__________________
Weekend? What's that?
rockymountainhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #108
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainhigh View Post
I guess at some point resistance is futile.
When my doc just put me on a diuretic, (knowing that I've done everything possible to avoid meds), he said "Hey, don't take it personally".

But I DO take it personally!
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #109
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainhigh View Post
On a daily basis currently I take the following supplements:
50+ multi
Zinc
SAM-e
Boron
Vit D
Probiotic

No prescription drugs yet, but I am scheduled for a check up and my doctor my push something for my borderline high blood pressure. My cholesterol is high but I have not been taking anything for it so he may push something on me for that too. I guess at some point resistance is futile.
Have you considered changing your diet to improve this? Also, have you ever had a VAP test done for cholesterol? The VAP test actually directly measures the LDL particles and their density. The standard cholesterol tests only estimate your LDL. Research in the last 5 years indicates that not all LDL is bad (there are 2 different kinds). Rather than go by LDL, the research has stated that a broad comparison that is more effective at predicting cardiovascular disease is the ratio of Triglycerides/HDL. If this ration is < 2, you're pretty much golden, regardless of LDL (because this ratio indicates that you have all of the good LDL).

Obviously, don't take medical advice from a complete stranger on the internet. But, if you want diet advice, I can certainly entertain PM's.
__________________
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #110
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
When my doc just put me on a diuretic, (knowing that I've done everything possible to avoid meds), he said "Hey, don't take it personally".

But I DO take it personally!
Did you start taking the diuretic before or after the nosebleeds and bruising?
__________________
CW4, USA-(ret)
RN, BSN-(ret)
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #111
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 4,296
After......(and the jury's still out on the bruising )........last two (home) readings I've taken, post-diuretic, are 136/77 & 128/83........so, if all it took was a diuretic, (no ACE inhibitors), to achieve normalcy then (I have to wonder) what caused the spike, the nosebleeds, and possibly the 'bruising'?
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Thornton
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_knows View Post
Have you considered changing your diet to improve this? Also, have you ever had a VAP test done for cholesterol? The VAP test actually directly measures the LDL particles and their density. The standard cholesterol tests only estimate your LDL. Research in the last 5 years indicates that not all LDL is bad (there are 2 different kinds). Rather than go by LDL, the research has stated that a broad comparison that is more effective at predicting cardiovascular disease is the ratio of Triglycerides/HDL. If this ration is < 2, you're pretty much golden, regardless of LDL (because this ratio indicates that you have all of the good LDL).

Obviously, don't take medical advice from a complete stranger on the internet. But, if you want diet advice, I can certainly entertain PM's.
Changing my diet is preferable, I have had some major changes in the last few years due to celiac desease and migraines. All this will be up for discussion when see the doc. Although VAP I understand is propriatary but I will mention it to him.
Thanks
__________________
Weekend? What's that?
rockymountainhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #113
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainhigh View Post
Changing my diet is preferable, I have had some major changes in the last few years due to celiac desease and migraines. All this will be up for discussion when see the doc. Although VAP I understand is propriatary but I will mention it to him.
Thanks
Yeah, VAP is just a brand name for the "LDL Density" test. I know of at least 2 others that give the same results.

My suggestion to you would be to look at the "Paleo" diet. More or less eating just Meats, veg, fruits, nuts, seeds and nothing else. Changed my bloodwork quite a bit.
__________________
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 430
I am borderline old. oldtrig
__________________
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 103
Most of you guys are lucky....My story:I am 53 years old. Don't smoke, drink about a 6 pack a year, workout 3 days a week and walk almost every day. My cholesterol is 146; clear arteries. Just diagnosed with heart failure after an ER visit for shortness of breath. I now take about 20 pills a day of unpronounceable stuff. Glad to have retired at 48. You just never know.
__________________
frank2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #116
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2009 View Post
Most of you guys are lucky....My story:I am 53 years old. Don't smoke, drink about a 6 pack a year, workout 3 days a week and walk almost every day. My cholesterol is 146; clear arteries. Just diagnosed with heart failure after an ER visit for shortness of breath. I now take about 20 pills a day of unpronounceable stuff. Glad to have retired at 48. You just never know.

So sorry about your problem ! I hope the medication let's you live a long life .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #117
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Helen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2009 View Post
Most of you guys are lucky....My story:I am 53 years old. Don't smoke, drink about a 6 pack a year, workout 3 days a week and walk almost every day. My cholesterol is 146; clear arteries. Just diagnosed with heart failure after an ER visit for shortness of breath. I now take about 20 pills a day of unpronounceable stuff. Glad to have retired at 48. You just never know.
Life isn't fair, is it? I'm sorry about your health problems. I hope 40 years from now they reference you as an example as someone who lived a long and happy life.
__________________
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets
JBmadera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Green Valley
Posts: 240
I was always quite smug when it came to meds. Back then I was a fit, 49 yr old Cat II cyclist, no smoking, no drinking, 20 BMI, and no meds of any kind. Fast forward a couple of years and now the counter top is littered with prescription meds. I guess it's karma. I've dropped the whole "geez, if you just did what I did you wouldn't need to take all that cr*p" attitude.
__________________
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #119
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera
I was always quite smug when it came to meds. Back then I was a fit, 49 yr old Cat II cyclist, no smoking, no drinking, 20 BMI, and no meds of any kind. Fast forward a couple of years and now the counter top is littered with prescription meds. I guess it's karma. I've dropped the whole "geez, if you just did what I did you wouldn't need to take all that cr*p" attitude.
I am curious JB, if you don't mind what transpired between not having any, to taking a bunch. I am late 40s, and take no meds outside my self prescribed krill oil pill and CQ 10. Did one med lead to another to counter the others side effects, or did you just get hit with some unfortunate health issues at once?
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets
JBmadera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Green Valley
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I am curious JB, if you don't mind what transpired between not having any, to taking a bunch. I am late 40s, and take no meds outside my self prescribed krill oil pill and CQ 10. Did one med lead to another to counter the others side effects, or did you just get hit with some unfortunate health issues at once?
Hey Mulligan - not sure if there is any cause/effect, surgeons and dr's say that there really shouldn't be, but this is the chain of events:
crashed in a several races, had a few surgeries (shoulder, hip, wrist), after my last surgery I started having BP and irregular heart beat issues so the cardiologist prescribed a number of meds for those issues. It's be a long process with many tests and numerous different combos of meds. Then my arthritis really started to act up (don't know if any of the heart meds had anything to do with it or if the surgeries had an effect) so the dr gave me a couple of meds for that, finally my stomach was just a mess, guessing from all the aforementioned meds, so I'm now taking something for that.

I'm way, way more understanding now when people have health issues.

Love krill btw -
__________________

__________________
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.