How many pills in your daily schedule?

prof12

Recycles dryer sheets
OK, I'm nearly 65 and I know my health isn't as great as when I was a young man. I never took medicine and I never went to the doctor--but about 50 I hit a brick wall!!!!! Today I suffer from high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes as well as a host of other ailments. It seems every time I go to the doctor, which is now very frequently, I get a new pill or an upping of the dosage.

I currently take 15 pills a day and was wondering how I compare with others.
Prof12

49 years old and I take a baby aspirin every day to help guard against heart attack.

Zero. So far so good.

Was zero until plantar fasciitis. Now take an ibuprofen twice a day. 61. However, recovery from exercise or physical work starting to be much more noticeable. Have no reason to complain though.

58 y.o., 1 or 2 prescription pills a day (both for the same thing), 5 more suppliment pills though 3 are the same fish oil. 50 was about it for me too. When I complain, Mom says she wishes she was 58. She has a pretty amazing pill collection.

Zero (at 54). Hope it stays that way.

Zero prescriptions @ 51

But take vitamins and krill oil every day.

Only 1 Rx pill on a daily basis. Age 54.333333 :cool:

I do enjoy taking my daily calcium and Vitamin D in 2 dark chocolate discs. I just ordered a multi-vitamin in a peanut butter flavored disc made by the same manufacturer.
So instead of reminding myself [-]a lost cause[/-] to take multi-vitamins [-]horse pills[/-], I will get my supplements whenever I have my first chocolate or Reeses' PB cup crave. :D

OK, I'm nearly 65 and I know my health isn't as great as when I was a young man. I never took medicine and I never went to the doctor--but about 50 I hit a brick wall!!!!! Today I suffer from high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes as well as a host of other ailments. It seems every time I go to the doctor, which is now very frequently, I get a new pill or an upping of the dosage.

I currently take 15 pills a day and was wondering how I compare with others.
Prof12

4 pills/day and I will be 65 in June. None at all until I was age 58, and only 1 (for cholesterol) until age 61. My dear companion F takes 6 or 8 a day, IIRC, at age 58.

I think some doctors are more into "fine tuning" with medications than others so maybe your doctor is one of them. My mother was taking over two dozen pills a day by the time she reached her early 90's, and I don't think she had any health problems that were unusual for someone her age. By the time she died (at 98), I think she had stopped taking some of them since she didn't see the point and neither did her doctor.

Last edited:
I think I'm being overmedicated and have plans in the works to change doctors. And W2R, like your mother, really don't see the point in taking the majority of them. But I guess I'll defer to a second opinion from a new doc.
Prof12

I think I'm being overmedicated and have plans in the works to change doctors. And W2R, like your mother, really don't see the point in taking the majority of them. But I guess I'll defer to a second opinion from a new doc.
Prof12

She didn't see much point in taking cholesterol medication, for example, because she didn't have many years ahead of her for plaque to build up in her arteries. A lot of the medications she was on were sort of preventative in that sense. That is what I meant. You might find that another doctor would medicate you less, but if not then at least you would know that the medications are probably necessary.

My main objection is the side effects! Of three medications that I was on, two had to be changed because of side effects (and one of them was replaced with two others, which is why I now have four).

Last edited:
Mid-40's: 1-4 fish oil capsules per day (depending on how much Omega-3 I get from food that day) and a multivitamin every three days or so when I am traveling and not watching my diet closely.

Zero @ age 56 (except for a multi-vitamin).

Zero at age 57 (and I hope to keep it that way). I do take several supplements, though (vitamins, minerals, fish oil). Vitamin D, in particular, is very important if you live in a northern climate, because you simply can't get enough of it from the sun for most of the year. They are finding that Vitamin D deficiency is very common, and may be related to a host of diseases and ailments.

To all of those lucky ones with zeros, really lucky.

Here, 34.5 and 19 Rx tablets+capsules and 5 OTC supplements (have an autoimmune condition that I have to live with it for rest of my life)

Some of it is luck, some of it is lifestyle. I have never smoked, no drugs, i only drink socially, not promiscuous, exercise regularly, and keep a low fat food diet.
noelm said:
To all of those lucky ones with zeros, really lucky.

Here, 34.5 and 19 Rx tablets+capsules and 5 OTC supplements (have an autoimmune condition that I have to live with it for rest of my life)

Last edited:
Zero.

I do take a lot of OTC supplements and vitamins.

omni

Zero prescription meds at age 57. Sometimes when I think about it I might take a B12 tablet or a multi-vitamin. I know there may not be many more years without zero prescriptions so I'll be thankful while I can.

I take a standard multivitamin, B complex, C, and Nordic Naturals fish oil daily. Once a week, I add evening primrose oil.

Zero @ 57.
Keep meaning to take vitamins more regularly, but never seem to make it a habit.

Back
Top Bottom