How much water do you drink?

I bought a new refrigerator this year with a water and ice in the door feature. I though that I would really up my intake but I think it went down. I used to keep a pitcher of water in the fridge and drink that up. Now it is too much bother to get a glass and fill it I guess because I do that without noticing. I'm back to the brita pitcher again.
I don't drink soda or other beverages much. I usually don't drink even 8oz at a time so 4 cups a day probably.

The amounts of water that you need depends on your activity level, ambient temperature, ambient humidy, clothing, fitness, etc. If you are sedentary and live in a moderate climate, 64 oz of fluid is more than you need, if you work as a landscaper in Phoenix, it's way less than you need. For most healthy people (not everybody!), there's no need to either force fluids or restrict fluids and no particular health benefit either. If you're prone to kidney stones, take certain medications, etc., then the advice may be different.

Exactly. The amount of water a person needs in a day can vary greatly depending on several factors.

My general rule of thumb is to drink enough to ensure that I have to pee every 3-4 hours.

Speaking of to how much to drink when physically active, I had a very difficult training run the other day, over 4 Hours. I had to carry my own water and carried and drank about 110ozs. I do tend to drink a lot when exercising and do generally feel thirsty the whole time. Matter of fact, during a similar run a couple of weeks ago, I also had some gels and my mouth felt very, very dry. This time I used a powder which included 650mg of sodium among other things per packet and used 3 packets.

After that run, I had a Trenti (Starbucks) IceT and had about 12 additional ozs of Tea. We stopped at a restaurant and I drank two large lemonades. The next time I went to the bathroom, my urine was still a bit dark. So it would seem that despite all I drank, I didn't drink enough.

On non-run days I drink about 64oz of liquid and my urine is normally fine except in the morning when I first wake up.

cd :O)

I'll eat when I'm hungry, and I'll drink when I'm dry,
And the moonshine don't kill me I'll live 'til I die.

I drink about 24 to 36 ounces a day, my 90 yo fil only drinks the water from the ice cubes in his manhattans and martinis, ymmv,,,

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I drink about 24 to 36 ounces a day, my 90 yo fil only drinks the water from the ice cubes in his manhattans and martinis, ymmv,,,

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Wise man. Probably knows what fish do in it.:eek:

I drink a lot more now days. Trying to shed a few pounds and keeping my belly full of water seems to curb my appetite a little.

bjorn2bwild, Thanks for posting your original link. I'd never heard of drinking too much water. I don't drink much water (fluids) and the doctors finally thought that my almost daily migraines were caused by dehydration. I never feel thirsty and can go for long periods of time not drinking anything. I started drinking more fluids and the migraines decreased. When I'm walking/hiking with friends they have to remind me to drink my water. In the summer, they drink 1 to 2 bottles of water to my 1/4 of a bottle of water (or less) for 5 to 6 miles. If I drink more than that 1/4 bottle I feel sick (sometimes throw up water) and feel like the waters just sitting in my gut, I feel sloshy. I have similar reaction when I'm mowing and weed whacking and trying to stay hydrated. While reading your link "drink when thirsty" I did a little research and found this link about being waterlogged and it mentions the sloshy feeling I get. So I'll be asking my doctor about this the next time I'm there.
http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/seven-clear-symptoms-of-exercise-associated-hyponatremia
I'm always amazed at the things I learn about on this site.

Back
Top Bottom