How Often Do You Shower?

About every other day depending on activities. This week
Monday afternoon after 30 mile bike ride
Tuesday evening after lawn and wood splitting.
none Wednesday.
Thursday afternoon after 18 mile hilly bike ride.
Not yet today (Friday), probably not as my legs haven't recovered from yersteday's hot ride.

When w*rking, I routinely showered every morning. In ER, I am more flexible. For example, if I am golfing or hiking in the morning, I will have my shower afterwards. If I have a shower last thing at night, I do not feel obliged to repeat it first thing in the morning. Occasionally I miss a day if I have no reason to get dirty.

Next question: how often do you wash your hair?
My answer: every 2 days. My hairdresser told me years ago that it's not good for your hair to wash it daily.

When we do extensive offshore sailing in a couple of years, it will likely mean several days between showers to conserve water. Probably should try to stretch out showers now for several days to get used to it.

Can you elaborate on that? :LOL:

I just couldn't resist asking. :D

LOL!!! First I take the "ship shower" that I have been used to taking my whole life (see my link in the previous post for a description). At that point I am clean. Then, for entertainment I spend a few minutes just standing in the water, enjoying the feel of it, singing in the shower, scratching my back with my back scrubber/scratcher brush just for fun, and well, you get the idea! TMI!! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Yes, I have done that before at a marina where you put in $0.25 per 30 seconds of water (and I only had a buck on me). My home shower typically is 10 minutes of standing under the hot water, then remembering I need to soap up, then another 10 minutes of rinsing. Usually there is a little hot water left in the 60 gallon tank. Room for improvement.

Geez, is it 2015 already? I'd better think about buying some soap in the next couple months.....

Once again I seem to be in the minority with 2 or 3 showers a day.

First when I get up, then maybe one in the late afternoon, especially if I'm going out to dinner or something and then a third before bed or if I've been in the hot tub or doing something messy.

I know, I'm weird. DW reminds me of that every day.

Last edited:
If I'm just hanging around the house, then every other day - and usually in the middle of the afternoon, just because I can (no schedule to dictate the "right" time to shower). However, since I'm rarely just hanging around the house, and usually getting hot and sweaty in the garden or taking a bike ride I generally end up showering daily after the sweaty / dirty activity. One of the biggest joys I've gotten in ER is being able to shower any hour of the day I want.

Generally twice a day. First thing in the morning and after my afternoon/evening workout.

In the morning every day, then if I do something to get real sweaty I'll take another.

Every 1-3 days depending on activity and weather. I have very dry skin and should not shower every day. From age 10-40 it was pretty much every day though.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Once again I seem to be in the minority with 2 or 3 showers a day.

First when I get up, then maybe one in the late afternoon, especially if I'm going out to dinner or something and then a third before bed or if I've been in the hot tub or doing something messy...

How many extra showers do you take if you do something messy in the hot tub?

Being retired, usually 2-3x/week. No interest in supporting the water company.

In my early twenties my dermatologist told me that with my skin type I ideally should not shower more than once a week.

That goal is impossible but I try to skip showers on days where I don't have to.

How many extra showers do you take if you do something messy in the hot tub?

I wondered that, but was somewhat reticent to inquire. :LOL:

Once a month whether I need to or not (j/k).

When I was w**rking, showered every workday at least once (twice sometimes). Plus usually once or twice every non-every w**kday. So 7 to 10 times a week. Same for shaving.

Now retired, showering has dropped to 5 to 7 times per week. Shaving is seldom more than every other day so I'd say 5 times per week.

I guess my personal hygiene is degrading along with my mental and physical capabilities as I get older....

A poll on this would have been interesting.

I think you will get an answer of every day in the USA. It's almost universal here.
I've lived in some parts of Europe where folks do not take a bath everyday.

Usually every morning. Evening as well if working hard or sports. If at the lake just go for a dip a few times a day instead and may not shower for a couple of days though eventually have to do the hair. Shampoo is frowned on in the lake.

Back
Top Bottom