How Often Do You Shower?

++1

What's next? How often do you change your underwear?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Only when I shower.

Only when I shower.

Real men change their undies while they shower. I don't know what real women do.

note: all highlights courtesy of redduck

Last edited:
Me too. I have heard that leaving bacteria on your skin can be good for you.

This is what got me curious enough to wonder if I was alone in feeling the need to shower every day. I've recently read this too.

There's a company out there that's trying to sell the idea of spraying us down with bacteria instead of soap.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/m...shampoo-bacteria-rich-hygiene-experiment.html

If it wasn't $50-per-month-per-person, I'd be tempted to try it just to see how I felt about adding a colony of bacteria to my skin on purpose.

At least once a day.

Do not feel awake unless I take a shower. Sometimes when on a fishing trip I will shower after dressing fish in the evening and then no need in the morning as we are trying to get out ASAP to the river.

I can't imagine life without a daily shower. Yuck.

That sums it up pretty well for me. The day doesn't begin without a shower to wake me up. I doubt if I have went without a shower a single day since my preteen years from 40 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After spending a year in Viet Nam as a grunt out in the bush, I would get a cold shower on a firebase maybe twice a month.

Yeah, almost the same experience. Once, (maybe twice), in my sophomore year in college, I recall spending 20 minutes grunting in the bush and all I could think about was brushing my teeth.

One to three times a day for me.

A shower is at least as important as my morning coffee to get me going.

Another shower is needed immediately after biking, running or even lifting weights; I break out otherwise; even if I didn't, I would still feel nasty without a shower.

Final shower before bed if feeling sticky.

I will substitute a swim for some of these showers if the opportunity presents itself. (This is one reason most of my primitive camping has been done within sight of clean water.)

I know entirely too many people like splitwdw's sister who do not believe anyone notices when they do not shower.

This thread continues to amaze me for two reasons: The general activity and the number of people who take multiple showers a day; I thought my shower obsession was more unusual.

Everyday, sometimes as soon as I get up other times a couple of hours after. Even if I don't go out, like today....I made my bed (I do that every day too), showered, put on some old raggedy but clean clothes and piddled around the house. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year in the winter, I'll lounge all day without a shower.

Full shower, shave and teeth every morning if it is a work day and also get a rinse shower in the evening after exercise.
If it is a day I am not working then I normally only shower, shave and do teeth if I am going out, otherwise I will happily sit in my own funk for up to a max of 2 days, or until my wife comments negatively on it (she normally doesn't seem to mind up to two days worth). :)

Just reading some of these responses makes me want to shower... :-(

Here in Paradise, it's pretty much every day - especially lately (ERForum HI residents know what I mean.) Back when we lived on the frozen tundra of the midwest, 3/week in the winter seemed excessive when propane got to $1.30 in the late 70s. With the house at 65 degrees, and skin dry as chalk, deciding to strip off the "thermals" for a shower was a real mental debate with oneself. Showering together made it a bit more energy-efficient and otherwise tolerable, though.:cool: YMMV

With the water shortage here in California, trying to stretch out to once a week.

Last week I was denied boarding on a Delta flight due to " Health risk to the flight and cabin crew" as the gate agent put it. Worked out in my favor, was re-booked the next day with a free upgrade.

Just kidding......I have been on flights where someone should have been denied board due to the Stink factor:LOL: from lack of hygiene or perfume/cologne so strong that could be used as bug spray.

When I retired, first thing I got was two new pairs of jean shorts at Walmart. And I got one Auburn and one Alabama t-shirt at Dollar General for $6 each. I swap out these for clothes day after day. I've long forgot that shirt and tie I had to wear to work for 36 1/2 years.

And when I wake up in the morning after taking a p.m. shower, I put on a ball cap to cover my "bad hair."

I often go to a rural gas station wearing my uniform and driving my pickup truck--and all the rednecks from "low places" go out of their way to speak to me. They don't know that I actually clean up very well--at least on Sundays.

Back
Top Bottom