How to lower cholesterol?

The Ornish high carb, low fat approach had me becoming insulin resistant.

Not really surprising, since it's digested carbohydrates, not fat, that end up as glucose in your blood

My cholesterol profile didn't improve until I abandoned the whole grain, stay away from meat program. The Ornish high carb, low fat approach had me becoming insulin resistant. Now, plenty of protein and good fats and complex carbs from peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, salads and fruits is the way I go. I made pasta, pizza, potatoes, and rice occasional treats rather than staples. The whole lipid hypothesis is up for grabs now anyway. It will take awhile for the inertia of big pharma's mega reliance on statin profits before some of the research takes hold. As Rich mentions, statins have some benefit but there is research that it may not be by lowering hdl. IMHO, it is the anti-inflammatory effect and there are other, more benign ways to mitigate inflammation.
When I lived in California, I had a 3X weekly personal trainer -( worked with weights, did cardio,) plus I ran 5 miles 4-5 X weekly. The trainer completely changed my eating habits to Dr. Ornish....high carb, lo fat.
My fiance' was an MD, and was very vocal in his disapproval....
The Mediterranean diet was soooo much healthier, according to him...the body(esp. brain) needs fuel & not from simple carbs.
Well, after 6 months with my trainer & the lo fat, carb diet...I crashed...felt & looked like hell...no energy....yada yada...That was 10 years ago, and I basically follow the Mediterranean diet:
Vegetables esp. red,orange,yellow
Organic olive oil
Lean meat(beef & chicken) plus Alaskan wild salmon
Nuts: almonds, walnuts & pecans to munch on -
Blueberrys, strawberries on Kashi Go Lean cereal w/ organic milk
Very little bread....occasional whole grain wheat & brown rice
Sandwiches - use Wasa multigrain crispbread or Lavash bread (wraps)
No pasta or *potatoes...well, once in a great while
*I have a great recipe for "mashed" potatoes using cauliflower
For Mexican dishes, I substitute, black soybeans for beans & also
make a big pot of chili every week using the soybeans.
Lo sodium...I am horrified at the salt added to everything
check labels for sodium content...esp. soups & broths, canned tomatoes
Omlettes - 1 whole egg, plus 4 egg whites, olive oil, veggies, bit of cheese
Supplements: calcium, multi B vites esp. folic acid, Omega 3 fishoil
Drink - I'm trying to kick the a.m. coffee habit & substitute green tea..
it's a work in progress! Good ol' H20 during the day & a glass of Merlot with dinner....yeah I'm guilty of a nip of the single malt scotch every now & then esp. when the markets tank!!!
53 y.o gal
6' tall
125 - 130 lbs
HDL 100+

I had pretty low colesterall to beging with, but my good was low, and my bad was high. So, doc recommended exercise, fiber, loose weight and good fats.

I did Atkins and lost 30 to 35lbs. Ate lots of fiber based foods (south beach style) and nuts, walked a lot, etc.

Just had complete bloodwork, complemints of USAA life insurance application. Total 123, 49HDL 63LDL. Total didn't change much, but HDL LDL distribution did.

When I lived in California, I had a 3X weekly personal trainer -( worked with weights, did cardio,) plus I ran 5 miles 4-5 X weekly. The trainer completely changed my eating habits to Dr. Ornish....high carb, lo fat.
My fiance' was an MD, and was very vocal in his disapproval....
The Mediterranean diet was soooo much healthier, according to him...the body(esp. brain) needs fuel & not from simple carbs.
Well, after 6 months with my trainer & the lo fat, carb diet...I crashed...felt & looked like hell...no energy....yada yada...That was 10 years ago, and I basically follow the Mediterranean diet:
Vegetables esp. red,orange,yellow
Organic olive oil
Lean meat(beef & chicken) plus Alaskan wild salmon
Nuts: almonds, walnuts & pecans to munch on -
Blueberrys, strawberries on Kashi Go Lean cereal w/ organic milk
Very little bread....occasional whole grain wheat & brown rice
Sandwiches - use Wasa multigrain crispbread or Lavash bread (wraps)
No pasta or *potatoes...well, once in a great while
*I have a great recipe for "mashed" potatoes using cauliflower
For Mexican dishes, I substitute, black soybeans for beans & also
make a big pot of chili every week using the soybeans.
Lo sodium...I am horrified at the salt added to everything
check labels for sodium content...esp. soups & broths, canned tomatoes
Omlettes - 1 whole egg, plus 4 egg whites, olive oil, veggies, bit of cheese
Supplements: calcium, multi B vites esp. folic acid, Omega 3 fishoil
Drink - I'm trying to kick the a.m. coffee habit & substitute green tea..
it's a work in progress! Good ol' H20 during the day & a glass of Merlot with dinner....yeah I'm guilty of a nip of the single malt scotch every now & then esp. when the markets tank!!!
53 y.o gal
6' tall
125 - 130 lbs
HDL 100+

Slim, still have some estrogen?? HDL 100?? By the way everything on your list is on our list here. My numbers are not as big HDL is 60 but then again I am a 6 foot tall 178 pound Dude. Run about 10 miles a day and drink all kinds of alcohol.So much fun to enjoy life and do things that are well fun.

My LDL numbers have distressed me:
LDL 160
HDL 60
Triglyc 35

As yet, I haven't had the discipline to change my diet or lose weight but I do a lot of strenuous hiking and I do eat my veges. I hardly ever eat meat and only drink wine a couple times/week, but do eat a lot of simple carbs.

I read in one of the posts that reducing simple carbs can help reduce the LDL. Is that right? I hadn't heard that before.

Slim, do you eat any dairy? No skim milk lattes?

I've begun taking Slo Niacin, 500mg, at night. I'm also starting a low calorie regime. And adding some good things into my diet, like 10 almonds every day. I'll report back in about a month or so. :rolleyes:

LDL 160
HDL 60
Triglyc 35

As yet, I haven't had the discipline to change my diet or lose weight but I do a lot of strenuous hiking and I do eat my veges. I hardly ever eat meat and only drink wine a couple times/week, but do eat a lot of simple carbs.

I read in one of the posts that reducing simple carbs can help reduce the LDL. Is that right? I hadn't heard that before.

I've begun taking Slo Niacin, 500mg, at night. I'm also starting a low calorie regime. And adding some good things into my diet, like 10 almonds every day. I'll report back in about a month or so. :rolleyes:

If you read DR Barry Sears the Omega zone he states that the ratio of HDL to triglycerides is a better indication of LDL. That the lower the ratio which you have less than 1 your LDL are large and fluffy and not prone to lodge in your coronary arteries. Example would be someone who has a HDL say 40 and triglycerides of 400 would be 10 and real issues with small dense LDL which IS a problem.

Slim, still have some estrogen?? HDL 100?? By the way everything on your list is on our list here. My numbers are not as big HDL is 60 but then again I am a 6 foot tall 178 pound Dude. Run about 10 miles a day and drink all kinds of alcohol.So much fun to enjoy life and do things that are well fun.
Yup, I still have estrogen...I'm not really "bone" thin due to my fitness level & I still lift weights - but, my BF would like to see a little more T&A,curves, on me...so I'm trying to gain weight - figure that 10lbs might do the trick. I don't run anymore due to a bad ankle (right leg crushed, run over by a car 2001) but I ride my Trek mountain bike as much as I can & the ranch work keeps me "lean & mean".
I have worked so hard to maintain financial independence - retired at 42,try to live a life of simplicity, mindfulness,and grace.....therefore, it is important to be healthy enough to enjoy the lifestyle that all of us FIRE's
find so appealing....and oh yes, I adore good wine and a nip of single malt scotch.

LDL 160
HDL 60
Triglyc 35

You go girl!!! and just cut back on the simple carbs, nothing drastic, just a little here n there &you'll be amazed at the difference.Simple carbs wreak havoc on me - I get lethargic,puffy, and cranky....No sugar, fruit juices, bread, pasta, potatoes....only once in a great while. I love cranberry juice - so I put about 1/3 juice in a glass, fill with sodium free seltzer water, and ice.....it's sooooo refreshing
Yes, I eat dairy - as posted organic milk, cheese.
I also have plain yoghurt, unsalted butter, goat cheese

Brilliant! I took a break from the forum to have a couple drinks so my HDL would go up. Then I came back to the comp to do more research. OK, I've got a handle on my HDL. Now what to do about my triglycerides. Hmmm, how about this - "Another strategy to lower triglycerides is to reduce or eliminate all types of alcohol. Alcohol, even small amounts, can elevate triglycerides."

Guess I better go stick my finger down my throat. :p

Sucks, eh? :'(

My numbers:

TOTAL - 203
HDL - 28
LDL - 117
TG - 290 :eek:

Now taking Tricor...

YouTube - The drugs I need

The results of my bloodwork are in and I need to do something to lower my cholesterol. LDL is 124 and total cholesterol is 191. Obviously I want to do this without having to resort to medication.

What has worked for others to successfully lower their cholesterol numbers? I eat oatmeal for breakfast most days and I have started working out with a trainer 3 days a week in an effort to lose a few lbs.

I've done a net search and that has given me some other ideas but I would be interested to hear what did or didn't work for others.

My numbers were similar. I tried exercising, ate better but I just didn't make a dent into my numbers. So if you end up taking a drug you might try Lovasatin which is the generic form for Mevacor. One of the older drugs. My doc recommended Lipitor but this drug is so much cheaper I talked my doc into letting me try this. He was amazed how well it brought my numbers down. Cost $10 for a 90 day supply at Walmart. I think Target has the same deal. So give it a try if you have to go the drug route.

Be wary of red rice yeast. It contains the active ingredient in lovastatin, and needs the same semi-annual liver function test if you take it. Likewise, niacin is effective as a way to lower LDL and raise HDL, and it is over-the-counter, but it too affects the liver and must be monitored by your dr.

I finally got my full results and they are ok, however do need some work. They are as follows:

Total 191
HDL 51
LDL 124
Trig 80

So going on the Dr Sears method I have a ratio of 1.569 which means I have to do some work.

I'm going to continue working out and have my numbers measured again in 3 months or so to see if there is any change. If not, I'll speak with the quack about some medication.

I don't painic about cholesterol, Triglycerides were my bane. 7 years ago at 1160, two weeks ago tested at 100, yep one hundred.

The winning difference: cut out rice, potatoes, pasta. Totally.
Still have sweet tooth for chocolate, have some occasionally. Also 'been taking niacin1000 daily, but on the long term it made minor difference.

I finally got my full results and they are ok, however do need some work. They are as follows:

Total 191
HDL 51
LDL 124
Trig 80

So going on the Dr Sears method I have a ratio of 1.569 which means I have to do some work.

I'm going to continue working out and have my numbers measured again in 3 months or so to see if there is any change. If not, I'll speak with the quack about some medication.

If you think those numbers are bad you really are worried about nothing.

From Dr Sears book the omega RX zone...

If your ratio is less than 2 , you have predominantly large, fluffy LDL particles that are not going to do you any harm. If your ratio is greater than 4 you have a lot of small dense LDL particles which can accelerate the development of plaques.

So it seems to me you numbers are very good, and in my book the same numbers that I have now, and would not take a statin.

I don't painic about cholesterol, Triglycerides were my bane. 7 years ago at 1160, two weeks ago tested at 100, yep one hundred.

The winning difference: cut out rice, potatoes, pasta. Totally.
Still have sweet tooth for chocolate, have some occasionally. Also 'been taking niacin1000 daily, but on the long term it made minor difference.

Out of curiosity, did you get diagnosed as diabetic? I did, and cutting out those same foods (along with all white flour) dropped my TriGs from ~850 to 137. If you aren't diabetic yet and you keep up with that regime you'll probably be safe, at least for a while.

I agree, DangerMouse, I think your numbers are fine, if not excellent. It never hurts to eat better and get more exercise, but I suspect if you cast around you'll be able to find other things more in need of worrying about. ;)

Out of curiosity, did you get diagnosed as diabetic?

No, never had diabetic diagnosis. Had been put through the mill of all the various statins, until I finally said no. No more. They gave me the case of the stupids, joint pains etc. . Have not been on statins in 4 yrs. I feel good, don't miss the "temporary form of sugars".
DW at time grumbles about not having pasta or rice. But, she feel better too.
grin.gif

Will stay with this food regime.

By the way, my weight is near perfect at 163 to 168 range, 5'9"

Last edited:
You may or may not enjoy this book:

Amazon.com: Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure: Caldwell B. Esselstyn: Books

Note that there is a huge amount of bad information circulating on the topic of nutrition, so skepticism is always a good idea. Nutrition is an extremely complex and poorly understood topic, and the number of people who are actually qualified to speak authoritatively on the subject is remarkably small (most MDs are excluded). Add in the outrageous conflicts of interest in the USDA, which is simultaneously charged with promoting American agriculture (which means promoting American animal-culture) and issuing dietary guidelines, and you have a real mess. It's no wonder Americans don't know what to believe, and thus by default tend to believe whatever maximizes immediate personal pleasure. Who can blame them? :)

Back
Top Bottom