I Think I May Never Look The Same At Gatorade

I had mine done 3 years ago. It was a non-event. In fact, I could not even remember what the stuff was that I had to take for the prep. Seriously. It was not a big deal. All I remember is that I was working at home on a work project, and had to make quick dashes from my desk to the bathroom quite often.

I followed the instructions to the letter. My doc included in his report: "Nice Prep". Obviously many of his patients didn't. What I like even more was his conclusion: "See ya in 10 years".

My wife recently lost a close friend of hers of nearly 30 years. The woman died of colon cancer after battling it for a year or two. My wife said her friend did not like vegetable and ate little or none.

Last edited:
One thing I forgot...and it's too late for you Easy...but schedule the procedure early in the morning. I was one of the first. That way...you get it over with early in the morning and can go eat a big breakfast and get on with your day!

PS...You will be out of it, but you may say some funny things to the crew, but you won't remember it. That's why they may be looking at you funny when you leave...

One thing I forgot...and it's too late for you Easy...but schedule the procedure early in the morning. I was one of the first. That way...you get it over with early in the morning and can go eat a big breakfast and get on with your day!

PS...You will be out of it, but you may say some funny things to the crew, but you won't remember it. That's why they may be looking at you funny when you leave...

My appointment is not until close to noon.

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep that in mind especially about things I might be saying to the crew :angel:.

Easysurfer, I'm one day ahead of you. Stopped eating today, I go in for the "procedure" tomorrow. The true "prep" starts this afternoon. Thanks much for the post (and to Nords for his previous "World Class" crowdpleaser).

I called to check in--No Versed for me, probably Propofol. If I join Michael Jackson in the celestial choir (or whatever) you guys carry on here without me.

For the short term I have a good answer for "what do you do all day?"

Last edited:
Easysurfer, I'm one day ahead of you. Stopped eating today, I go in for the "procedure" tomorrow. The true "prep" starts this afternoon. Thanks much for the post (and to Nords for his previous "World Class" crowdpleaser).

I called to check in--No Versed for me, probably Propofol. If I join Michael Jackson in the celestial choir (or whatever) you guys carry on here without me.

For the short term I have a good answer for "what do you do all day?"

Good to see that I'm not alone :).

I went ahead and bought some groceries today for the day or two after. Man, I almost messed things up as by instinct, I almost snacked on a peanut granola bar...no nuts allowed before the scope! I'll be duct taping my cupboard tonight as a reminder that tomorrow is liquid only day.

Propofol is common. As I understand it's fast acting and short lasting. So, you'd be in and out and half-aware, if not less :blush:. Not sure what I'd be on..perhaps the same.

Last edited:
Just spent the last couple of hours making heads and tails about payment process for the colonoscopy screening. As the saying goes..."It depends..."

Better to know now than later.

This was brought about by a call from the hospital where I get the you know what done on Wednesday. The hospital called and said since I haven't met my annual deductible yet, they require about 10% of it before the procedure. It surprised me as I told them "Not once for any visit had I been asked to pay a deductible ahead of time with my HSA/HI plan." We ended up going around in circles I finally agreed to go ahead and pay the 10% (about $500) ahead of time as long as they make sure to report that I paid to the insurance company.

Also, all the talk about screening covered 100% doesn't apply in this case, since my insurance policy was before that law.

Also, I discovered, as many are not aware is that if you have 100% coverage for screening, but they discover a polyp and remove it, than you may very well be paying from then on as polyp removal is considered treatment and not screening.

We ended up going around in circles I finally agreed to go ahead and pay the 10% (about $500) ahead of time as long as they make sure to report that I paid to the insurance company.
Is the $500 your 10% deductible or is it the whole bill?

According to a graphic accompanying this article (may require subscription) in today's WSJ, Medicare pays $403 for a diagnostic colonscopy if it is done in a doctor's office and $876 if it is performed in a hospital. (the article is about the decreasing number of physicians who are running their own practice, as rates are higher if they become employees of a hospital).

The lack of transparency in medical pricing is a disgrace.

P.S. Of the permitted "prep foods" allowed on this day before the procedure, I'm finding the chicken and beef broth is much more satisfying than the juice, jello, hard candy, etc. Of course, drink the sports drinks to keep the electrolytes in balance once the "fun" starts. YMMV

Last edited:
The $500 is just 10% of my deductible. (Actually the amount they asked for upfront is $490 which is 10% of my outstanding deductible for the year).

I checked with my insurance company and a colonoscopy is not covered in my policy, I'm responsible for my $5K deductible first. The company does offer upgrade or downgrade policies that I can switch to.

For example, I could get un upgrade that covers colonoscopies in the future, quoted
even at a lower rate (about $10 less a month) than what I pay now, but I'd have to be underwritten again. I told them to send me more info in the mail, but don't know if I'll take action or not, especially since in 2014 there may even be better options to choose from with the federal law.

So here's a question...is it normal for hospitals, doctors to ask for a deductible payment upfront even though I have a HI/HSA plan?

I've never been requested to pay upfront before. Usually, I just show my card, get tested/treated, the insurance figures to bill after any discounts, then I pay. I suppose, since it might be a big bill, the 10% works like earnest money when buying a car. Guess they are afraid I'll skip town (sore butt and all) LOL :LOL:.

Last edited:
I have an HSA policy with $10K deductible. When some doctors or clinics found that out (from the insurance company), some of them wanted me to pay in full. However, I wanted my insurance carrier to get involved so that I would get the negotiated rate.

They wanted you to pay in full upfront? Oh boy. Maybe next time I'll gladly cough up 10% of my deductible upfront.

The service providers were afraid that I would not pay. I had more than $20K accumulated in the HSA, but there was no way for the insurance carrier to use that as a guarantee to the clinics that they would get paid. The patient has to personally withdraw money to pay, and what if he reneges?

These bills were not bad and only a few hundred dollars, so I did not even bother to pay out of the HSA.

By the way, my colonoscopy cost something like $800 or $900, and they let me pay in 3 installments with no interest, so I took the offer. Only the first payment was immediately due, as I recall.

Got mine several years back. Options were to be put out or half way out so I took the half way in order to see them work. They kept pumping me full of air and told me if i needed to go ahead and let it rip. Problem being i had no choice,too much air pressure. I watched them snake their way thru my intestines and in living color on the monitor. Watched the smoke pop up when they carterized the 4 polyps. Had a great time and have reccommended this to all of the folks I dislike.

I had mine last year and it was not as bad as I expected. My prep included a saline laxative that I kept down for about an hour and then upchucked. It worked anyways along with some pills and a liquid and powder concoction. My instructions said that you can eat all the hard boiled eggs that you want so I ate a couple of those and Jello.

I asked the Dr. about the eggs since no one else talks about them and he said they leave no residue in the colon. I saw the pics and all was clean and clear.

I had put it off until age 56 which was dumb. Looking back, it wasn't that big of a deal, I shouldn't have waited that long. It just takes some planning.

My insurance paid it at 100% as a preventative procedure.

Last edited:
Propofol is common. As I understand it's fast acting and short lasting. So, you'd be in and out and half-aware, if not less :blush:. Not sure what I'd be on..perhaps the same.

I'm and old hand at this procedure, no biggie. I don't like the crap I have to drink but what can ya do. I can understand why Michael Jackson liked the Propofol, very relaxing. I always ask the nurse for some to bring home.:rolleyes:

I almost forgot, next month it's that time again. 4 years since my last Propofol trip.

Last edited:
All went well in my "procedure" today. The Propofol anesthetic was very effective--I was "out" amazingly fast. There was no feeling of gradually losing awareness as one gets with some anesthetics. I was fully conscious and talking with the RN administering the anesthesia, then woke up in the recovery room. Fully ready to walk out (and get something to eat!) in about 5 minutes.

One small polyp. I can't even see it on the photo--I think the doc is related to my auto mechanic who always finds something to fix. I have to go back in 5 years.

Easy! As most have said, the prep is a bigger inconvenience than the colonoscopy.

I've never been requested to pay upfront before. Usually, I just show my card, get tested/treated, the insurance figures to bill after any discounts, then I pay. I suppose, since it might be a big bill, the 10% works like earnest money when buying a car. Guess they are afraid I'll skip town (sore butt and all) LOL :LOL:.

A lot of outpatient places started doing that after being stuck with bills for elective procedures .

Got back from my appointment a couple of hours ago. Results...I have a mild hemorrhoid (I already knew that) and the rest, clean as a whistle :D. No polyps, so that means I'm good for 10 years until the next screening.

Yes, the preparation was worst than the procedure as when it was sedation time, the nurse explained, it's a little slow working at first but you will get sleepy. The next thing, I saw her in the room and was thinking "About to start?" When she says, "You're done!" :D. I was out like a light.

Last edited:
Just did mine yesterday. I was really scared to do it... I hadn't been in any hospital setting for over 30 years. Result.... no cancer, healthy and normal colon. Whewwww.... relief!

I mixed Crystal Light into the bowl prep which made it tolerable. Though after a few glasses it became harder to drink. I ended up using Diet Sprite as a chaser after every couple of gulps.

The Medical Center where I had the scope was top notch. They were professional, friendly, and really put me at ease. I was completely out for the procedure. When I woke up, my wife was in the recovery room with me. Today, I feel absolutely no afteraffects. Though... I have cravings for nuts, seeds, red and purple foods. :LOL:

When I need to do it again in 10 years, I'm hoping they will have developed the technology to do it Star Trek style... just by running a scanner along the outside of my body.

Life_is_Good,

Glad that things turned out well for you. For me too, after about the fourth glass, things were starting to get difficult. Not only because of the fullness but also that was about when the show started :LOL:. I don't know if I would have made it had the drink been the prescription stuff.

I just got my bill today from the hospital. When all the dusts settled, it looks like of the approximate $2300 for the procedure, I was only on the hook for about $500 as part of my annual deductible. The rest of the procedure was covered as in-network. I'm happy with that. :D

Last edited:
I had my most recent colonoscopy Friday before last. Cost me 30 bucks out of pocket.

I had my last 5-year one last spring, DW's turn is next week.

As usual the prep is worse than the procedure. They wheel me it, I get a little needle, wake up in recovery. No problem.

I had one ~ 2 years ago and they found 3 small polyps that were benign, but the Dr said they were the type that could become a problem, so he put me on a 3 yr schedule. Now, during my annual physical last month, I tested positive for occult blood, so I get to return for the event on Monday, a year early. What fun:facepalm:.

Prep is the same as last time, Dulcolax pills, Gatorade/Miralax, followed by a magnesium citrate chaser 4 hours before the procedure. That citrate really hurt the old behind more so than the other stuff, so definitely not looking forward to that again. I'll try the baby wipes and see if that helps.

I hope this occult blood thing is no big deal, but I'm not going to worry about it until the Dr tells me otherwise. I also had to pay in advance, but my out of pocket was only $48.

I mixed my prep with ginger ale . Ginger Ale is now banned from our house forever.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Whatever you mix it with you'll never like again. It follows that axiom that rats who survive a small amount of rat poison will never eat it again.

Back
Top Bottom