Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I mixed my prep with ginger ale . Ginger Ale is now banned from our house forever.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by web_diva View Post
recommend weighing the need for the colonoscopy carefully.
Other than fears of bad hygiene and large probes, what criteria would you recommend that the average colonoscopy candidate use in their careful weighing?

Even a CAT scan will find polyps that still have to be excised & biopsied for a definite verdict. Either way you might as well go through the colonoscopy.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had my 3rd tunneling a few months ago. Yep prep is worse part. ... It might be old age or the 5 year spread, but believe it or not it is easier every time. Still s*cks ... but it is less drinking and not as nasty now. No new polyps ( since the 1st colonoscopy), but I now am the proud owner of some hemorrhoids. ... it' always something. Oh well the alternative is worse. It's good to be alive and kick'n.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just had mine. Had the option of some prescription pills ($94.00) instead of the liquid. That went pretty easy. 4 pills every half hour 5x on one day, next day 4 pills every half hour 3x. Soft tissue & Vaseline are my helpful hint to everybody who has to undergo the proceeding.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heikejohn View Post
Just had mine. Had the option of some prescription pills ($94.00) instead of the liquid. That went pretty easy. 4 pills every half hour 5x on one day, next day 4 pills every half hour 3x. Soft tissue & Vaseline are my helpful hint to everybody who has to undergo the proceeding.
While I am a cheap SOB on many things, I would easily trade $94 for not having to drink a gallon of that nasty prep brine.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I had mine done 3 years ago. It was a non-event. In fact, I could not even remember what the stuff was that I had to take for the prep. Seriously. It was not a big deal. All I remember is that I was working at home on a work project, and had to make quick dashes from my desk to the bathroom quite often.

I followed the instructions to the letter. My doc included in his report: "Nice Prep". Obviously many of his patients didn't. What I like even more was his conclusion: "See ya in 10 years".

My wife recently lost a close friend of hers of nearly 30 years. The woman died of colon cancer after battling it for a year or two. My wife said her friend did not like vegetable and ate little or none.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Ok... I purchased all the items for my witches brew that I gotta drink on Tuesday.

In the meantime, a little humor (and seriousness) from Katie Couric:

Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

One thing I forgot...and it's too late for you Easy...but schedule the procedure early in the morning. I was one of the first. That way...you get it over with early in the morning and can go eat a big breakfast and get on with your day!

PS...You will be out of it, but you may say some funny things to the crew, but you won't remember it. That's why they may be looking at you funny when you leave...
Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
One thing I forgot...and it's too late for you Easy...but schedule the procedure early in the morning. I was one of the first. That way...you get it over with early in the morning and can go eat a big breakfast and get on with your day!

PS...You will be out of it, but you may say some funny things to the crew, but you won't remember it. That's why they may be looking at you funny when you leave...
My appointment is not until close to noon.

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep that in mind especially about things I might be saying to the crew .
Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Easysurfer, I'm one day ahead of you. Stopped eating today, I go in for the "procedure" tomorrow. The true "prep" starts this afternoon. Thanks much for the post (and to Nords for his previous "World Class" crowdpleaser).

I called to check in--No Versed for me, probably Propofol. If I join Michael Jackson in the celestial choir (or whatever) you guys carry on here without me.

For the short term I have a good answer for "what do you do all day?"
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
..."put me in another galaxy"...
Where no man has gone before!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Easysurfer, I'm one day ahead of you. Stopped eating today, I go in for the "procedure" tomorrow. The true "prep" starts this afternoon. Thanks much for the post (and to Nords for his previous "World Class" crowdpleaser).

I called to check in--No Versed for me, probably Propofol. If I join Michael Jackson in the celestial choir (or whatever) you guys carry on here without me.

For the short term I have a good answer for "what do you do all day?"
Good to see that I'm not alone .

I went ahead and bought some groceries today for the day or two after. Man, I almost messed things up as by instinct, I almost snacked on a peanut granola bar...no nuts allowed before the scope! I'll be duct taping my cupboard tonight as a reminder that tomorrow is liquid only day.

Propofol is common. As I understand it's fast acting and short lasting. So, you'd be in and out and half-aware, if not less . Not sure what I'd be on..perhaps the same.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Just spent the last couple of hours making heads and tails about payment process for the colonoscopy screening. As the saying goes..."It depends..."

Better to know now than later.

This was brought about by a call from the hospital where I get the you know what done on Wednesday. The hospital called and said since I haven't met my annual deductible yet, they require about 10% of it before the procedure. It surprised me as I told them "Not once for any visit had I been asked to pay a deductible ahead of time with my HSA/HI plan." We ended up going around in circles I finally agreed to go ahead and pay the 10% (about $500) ahead of time as long as they make sure to report that I paid to the insurance company.

Also, all the talk about screening covered 100% doesn't apply in this case, since my insurance policy was before that law.

Also, I discovered, as many are not aware is that if you have 100% coverage for screening, but they discover a polyp and remove it, than you may very well be paying from then on as polyp removal is considered treatment and not screening.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
We ended up going around in circles I finally agreed to go ahead and pay the 10% (about $500) ahead of time as long as they make sure to report that I paid to the insurance company.
Is the $500 your 10% deductible or is it the whole bill?

According to a graphic accompanying this article (may require subscription) in today's WSJ, Medicare pays $403 for a diagnostic colonscopy if it is done in a doctor's office and $876 if it is performed in a hospital. (the article is about the decreasing number of physicians who are running their own practice, as rates are higher if they become employees of a hospital).

The lack of transparency in medical pricing is a disgrace.

P.S. Of the permitted "prep foods" allowed on this day before the procedure, I'm finding the chicken and beef broth is much more satisfying than the juice, jello, hard candy, etc. Of course, drink the sports drinks to keep the electrolytes in balance once the "fun" starts. YMMV
Old 08-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

The $500 is just 10% of my deductible. (Actually the amount they asked for upfront is $490 which is 10% of my outstanding deductible for the year).

I checked with my insurance company and a colonoscopy is not covered in my policy, I'm responsible for my $5K deductible first. The company does offer upgrade or downgrade policies that I can switch to.

For example, I could get un upgrade that covers colonoscopies in the future, quoted
even at a lower rate (about $10 less a month) than what I pay now, but I'd have to be underwritten again. I told them to send me more info in the mail, but don't know if I'll take action or not, especially since in 2014 there may even be better options to choose from with the federal law.

So here's a question...is it normal for hospitals, doctors to ask for a deductible payment upfront even though I have a HI/HSA plan?

I've never been requested to pay upfront before. Usually, I just show my card, get tested/treated, the insurance figures to bill after any discounts, then I pay. I suppose, since it might be a big bill, the 10% works like earnest money when buying a car. Guess they are afraid I'll skip town (sore butt and all) LOL .
Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I have an HSA policy with $10K deductible. When some doctors or clinics found that out (from the insurance company), some of them wanted me to pay in full. However, I wanted my insurance carrier to get involved so that I would get the negotiated rate.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

They wanted you to pay in full upfront? Oh boy. Maybe next time I'll gladly cough up 10% of my deductible upfront.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

The service providers were afraid that I would not pay. I had more than $20K accumulated in the HSA, but there was no way for the insurance carrier to use that as a guarantee to the clinics that they would get paid. The patient has to personally withdraw money to pay, and what if he reneges?

These bills were not bad and only a few hundred dollars, so I did not even bother to pay out of the HSA.

By the way, my colonoscopy cost something like $800 or $900, and they let me pay in 3 installments with no interest, so I took the offer. Only the first payment was immediately due, as I recall.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

Got mine several years back. Options were to be put out or half way out so I took the half way in order to see them work. They kept pumping me full of air and told me if i needed to go ahead and let it rip. Problem being i had no choice,too much air pressure. I watched them snake their way thru my intestines and in living color on the monitor. Watched the smoke pop up when they carterized the 4 polyps. Had a great time and have reccommended this to all of the folks I dislike.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had mine last year and it was not as bad as I expected. My prep included a saline laxative that I kept down for about an hour and then upchucked. It worked anyways along with some pills and a liquid and powder concoction. My instructions said that you can eat all the hard boiled eggs that you want so I ate a couple of those and Jello.

I asked the Dr. about the eggs since no one else talks about them and he said they leave no residue in the colon. I saw the pics and all was clean and clear.

I had put it off until age 56 which was dumb. Looking back, it wasn't that big of a deal, I shouldn't have waited that long. It just takes some planning.

My insurance paid it at 100% as a preventative procedure.