Colonoscopy & Endoscopy at same time??!!

Sounds like you were not sedated for the Endo if the nurse was trying to calm you down?

I thought you were 100% blottoed / "out" if you were sedated on Propofol..

I was awake at the beginning, but I don’t remember anything after I swallowed the endoscope. So the medical team must have kept me coherent to swallow the endoscope, and then knocked me out. This was in 2004. Things might be a lot different now.

I have Barret's esophagus and usually multiple colon polyps so I've been on a three year schedule for both procedures and the GI guy does them at the same time which I like. He uses Propofol now and AFAIAC it's great. No problems whatever. I would just make sure your doc uses propofol for the combo procedure. The colon prep is the worst part for me but my doc seems to have perfected the prep procedure using all cheap OTC meds and it's not too bad now. Either that or I'm just getting used to it. I would echo others who have said to eat light for several days prior - it does seem to help. However, my most recent colonoscopy yielded fewer polyps than before so now I'm back on a five year schedule for the colonoscopy so the procedures will be out of sync.

I have never had an endoscopy so I can't help you there but I've had 5 colonoscopies. All with minimal sedation as I was awake throughout and watching the procedure on the monitor. The first 4 were preventative/diagnostic and were very easy but the last one I had last week was much more complex as it involved a polypectomy that lasted 3 hours under minimal sedation. The polyp was very large (50 mm) and in a very difficult location that colon resection surgery was the only feasible procedure a few years ago. At times it was a little uncomfortable but tolerable.

Things can go wrong in any medical procedure but it's rare in colonoscopies and endoscopies.

Last edited:
Make sure you check your insurance... my sister was going to do it and found out that her insurance would not approve both at the same time..

They will pay for them separately for some reason... :facepalm:

Propofol is amazing stuff. To the OP, you'll be fine and won't remember. You may even have a nice dream. As a bonus, it has very little hangover effect after reversal.

As for danger. Skip google. Every medical procedure has danger, even the simplest like an injection*. Google will drive you crazy.

* - Latest I heard was people going nuts on getting injections because someone claims their shoulder was rotted out by a flu shot gone too deep and needed a replacement. You google, you will go crazy. Period.

I had the double dip last year. They had me lightly sedated for the colonoscopy... I was awake enough to watch the monitor, then they inserted the bite guard thing, stuck in the endoscope, and cranked up the sedation. The scope was out when I woke up. The sedation must have been short lasting because I was still in the procedure room and was wide awake for the ride to the recovery area.

I had the double dip last year. They had me lightly sedated for the colonoscopy... I was awake enough to watch the monitor, then they inserted the bite guard thing, stuck in the endoscope, and cranked up the sedation. The scope was out when I woke up. The sedation must have been short lasting because I was still in the procedure room and was wide awake for the ride to the recovery area.

I remember seeing the monitor and asking the doctor which end we were viewing on the screen.

Wait a sec - I thought you were entirely "out" with Propofol for the Endoscopy, but it sounds like at least one or two of you were awake and fully aware of what was going on when they jammed the hose down your throat?!!!!

This is by far my greatest fear. I want to be 100% COMPLETELY OUT when they put that thing in my mouth so that I don't gag my guts out or (worse) throw up from gagging WITH the hose in (can't imagine how horrid that would be). Is that not the way they do it?

I swear that entire scene is something out of a nightmare (or, alien abduction :) ). I can't even fathom being awake for that. It's seriously one of my greatest fears.

Thinking of cancelling. I am FREAKING OUT and going to need heavy Valium or something comparable for the next 7 days to even begin to get through this. Anxiety level is through the roof.

Last edited:
Wait a sec - I thought you were entirely "out" with Propofol for the Endoscopy, but it sounds like at least one or two of you were awake and fully aware of what was going on when they jammed the hose down your throat?!!!!
Did those people who said they were "semi-out" also confirm propofol? There are other drugs used these days (versed?) that allow some consciousness.

Propofol should do the trick. They go beyond propofol for cutting procedures so you are truly paralyzed and cannot feel pain. For scoping, propofol is enough, and if done right, you are out.

But maybe we need an early retired anesthesiologist to jump on here. The rest of us are just spitballing.

Last edited:
I was awake at the beginning. The gagging for me only lasted 5-10 seconds. It wasn’t a real big deal - just an unexpected reaction. I wouldn’t let my previous gagging episode influence my decision to have this done again if I had to.

I, too, have a severe gag reflex. Had an endo last year with anesthesia. Dr said "I'm starting the anesthesia now. I said Ok" and that's all I remember until waking up in recovery. Have another one scheduled next month.
Same thing with colonoscopy.
You really won't feel a thing.

I was awake at the beginning. The gagging for me only lasted 5-10 seconds. It wasn’t a real big deal - just an unexpected reaction. I wouldn’t let my previous gagging episode influence my decision to have this done again if I had to.

Did you get Propofol for the rest of the procedure? If so, why would they keep you awake for the worst part?

Did you get Propofol for the rest of the procedure? If so, why would they keep you awake for the worst part?

I don’t know what they used, but I was knocked out soon after the endoscope got past my throat. I saw a little bit of the video, and then I was knocked out for the remainder.

You might want to tell the Doc that one of your greatest fears is not being completely out when the procedure is done. Tell the Doc that you want to be completely out during the procedures.

Another thing: the docs don't "jam a hose down your throat," so it might relieve some of your anxiety if you didn't make stuff up.

Did those people who said they were "semi-out" also confirm propofol? There are other drugs used these days (versed?) that allow some consciousness.

Propofol should do the trick. They go beyond propofol for cutting procedures so you are truly paralyzed and cannot feel pain. For scoping, propofol is enough, and if done right, you are out.

But maybe we need an early retired anesthesiologist to jump on here. The rest of us are just spitballing.
I was semi out on versed! Propofol knocks me out.

DW used to be on a lot of valium and she was semi-awake on Propofol. She spoke up and they added more.

If your not on benzos(valium, zanax... ) please don't add them without your doctor's knowledge!

It's really not a terrible process.

So whats the cost for a "double dip"? My friend just had it done in a top private hospital in Lima,Peru last week and said it was just a bit over $1,000.00 all in?

Another thing: the docs don't "jam a hose down your throat," so it might relieve some of your anxiety if you didn't make stuff up.

Um, far as I know, it's a tube/hose or similar. If it's not, what is it? Please don't provide pictures - I'm freaked out enough already.

I'm sure the propofol effects are dose dependent. I've had two colonoscopies with it and was almost aware of what was going on. Had surgeries, including collarbone repair with plates, screws, etc and had no idea what was going on. Thankfully. I'm pretty sure it was propofol as well. Probably like alcohol; a few beers and everything's cool. Half a fifth and don't remember a thing!

...and fully aware of what was going on when they jammed the hose down your throat?!!!!

...Another thing: the docs don't "jam a hose down your throat," so it might relieve some of your anxiety if you didn't make stuff up.

Um, far as I know, it's a tube/hose or similar. If it's not, what is it? Please don't provide pictures - I'm freaked out enough already.

The point I was trying to make is that the Doc won't be jamming anything down your throat. Do you really think that's what they do? And, by the way, you can call it a hose, but it might be more helpful and accurate if you called it a tube.

It might also be helpful to you if you chose you words more carefully and accurately.

note: emphasis by redduck

The point I was trying to make is that the Doc won't be jamming anything down your throat. Do you really think that's what they do? And, by the way, you can call it a hose, but it might be more helpful and accurate if you called it a tube.

It might also be helpful to you if you chose you words more carefully and accurately.

note: emphasis by redduck

OMG dude, seriously? Geesh.

I want to be 100% COMPLETELY OUT when they put that thing in my mouth so that I don't gag my guts out or (worse) throw up from gagging WITH the hose in (can't imagine how horrid that would be).

You will be 100% completely out on propofol during the endoscopy. I had one about 5 years ago and all I remember was lying on my side looking at the doctor as he was getting ready to insert the tube, then the next thing I knew I was opening my eyes after it was all over. Completely unconscious for the entire procedure.

Thinking of cancelling. I am FREAKING OUT and going to need heavy Valium or something comparable for the next 7 days to even begin to get through this. Anxiety level is through the roof.

You are way, WAY too worried about all this... unreasonably so, IMHO. Modern anesthesia and sedation are extremely effective, and your anesthesiologist will know exactly what and how much to administer to you, given your specific physiology and psychology. These are highly trained professionals who have treated thousands of patients of all types, so try to relax and trust in their very extensive experience and expertise.

If you're still thinking of canceling, just know that you're playing "Russian roulette" with your health based on irrational anxiety and unfounded fears. Instead of letting this runaway, catastrophic thinking take over, you should step back and take a calm, rational, thoughtful look at the situation, and then ask yourself which is worse: having to endure some anxiety for a few days about an impending medical procedure, or letting a potentially serious (or even fatal) health problem go undiagnosed and untreated.

Sojourner - good advice. Appreciate it..glad to hear you were totally out for the procedure. That's a big relief..

Back
Top Bottom