Individual Health Insurance Question

F-One

Recycles dryer sheets
Looking at RE and individual health insurance, we are concerned about costs and being rated too high or turned down. DW chronic back related issue, alot of PT visits over a few years, also on anxiety meds. I have high blood pressure (controlled with generic drug) and recently taking anxiety meds due to anxiety of getting close to RE.
We've talked to local agent and she suggest we apply and see what happens. Agents idea is since I'm still w$rking, we would get an idea about insurability before making the jump.

My question / concern is does anyone know if we apply now, but don't get insurance or are rated high risk, how does that impact things say a year from now when we apply for real? Assuming health improves, DW has been retired for a couple of months and been able to reduce PT and drop one med for nerve/back issue.

You should not apply just to see, and you might consider looking for a new agent. At a minimum the agent should let you know if you have any pre-existing conditions that would make you ineligible for coverage. You cannot apply now without disclosing all your current conditions, and once you do so they are on the record forever and part of each future application.

If you have no immediate need you might want to wait another month or so to see how the Supreme Court rules on PPACA. Access and availability to policies are issues that should (hopefully) become clearer.

If you have no immediate need you might want to wait another month or so to see how the Supreme Court rules on PPACA. Access and availability to policies are issues that should (hopefully) become clearer.
+1 It should be out by the end of June although I believe they could wait until early July. Certainly not past the 4th.

Back
Top Bottom