Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-03-2010, 01:18 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.
From a wife's perspective:

I would WANT to know if my DH feels that he slides into depression.
I could understand some of his behavior and moods much better. Do not believe that your DW did not notice some of your changes. I bet she did but just is reluctant to talk before you open up.
I know I cannot not talk DH out of depression or provide help in a medical way. But I can reassure him that it is OK to look for professional help and that it does not reduce my love or change our relationship if he admits that there is a problem.
IMO husband and wife are a team. This can only work if both are open about team issues.
My DH had some medical problems on and off during the last 3 years. At some points he was close to depression IMO. We had a excellent relationship before, but being very open about all of this has connected us even more.

Please reconsider.
All the best to you and DW.

chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #62
Arriving late into this thread

Vicente, Latin and US cultures view early retirement much differently. Itís possible you are not enjoying enough support from neighbors, friends, or even family. Latin culture (my experience in South America, but directly derived from Spain) views ER by a man as something unusual and not generally positive. At the same time, volunteering is not well established and opportunities are not common. I can see how it would be challenging for you in Spain.

Do you know how to build a website? If not, would you like to learn? Does your town have a website? Learning how to build a website, then building one, is quite an undertaking. Doing one related to your town or region can be of social value as well as personally interesting and rewarding. If your town already has a website, surely it could use some help. Perhaps even photographs.

Would you like to study? The opencourseware initiative lets you access all the lecture notes for classes from universities like MIT from your home office. OCW Consortium

Have you ever thought about creative writing? You donít have to share, but it is something you can do in a structured, disciplined way and also might helps deal with your own thoughts.

You really need to get medical attention for your eyes Ė you canít let that hold you down.

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote