Longer to recover from normal illness?

Totally agree with the "germy" grandkids comment. I was working on a multi-year string of no colds until the oldest GK was a toddler,
My last 3 colds have come directly from the little ones.

And at the end, people do not recover at all, and expire from pneumonia when they catch a cold.
This. The ability to heal declines with age, and ailments or illnesses that sideline a 20 year old are life-ending for a 70 year old. If this were not so the world would be full of 150 year olds (and our fear of running out of money would be much worse).

I know several people in their 50's-60's who have had very stubborn upper-respiratory infections this winter - both here in TX and in PA where I have family. Perhaps some extra-strong or newly mutated bugs out in circulation?

I haven't noticed much if any difference (yet) in recovery times from colds. Small cuts and the like seem to take longer to heal though. But since I retired I have noticed a decrease in the number of colds.

And at Christmas DW and I both got colds from germy grandnieces. Love 'em anyway though.

Some new research shows that fasting can boost the immune system:

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

"In the first evidence of a natural intervention triggering stem cell-based regeneration of an organ or system, a study in the June 5 issue of the Cell Stem Cell shows that cycles of prolonged fasting not only protect against immune system damage — a major side effect of chemotherapy — but also induce immune system regeneration, shifting stem cells from a dormant state to a state of self-renewal."

Might be a good thing to try a few times a year, or even do just a short fast, 24 hours, a couple times a month. Skipping breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner gives you about a 24-hour fast.

I am originally from the North Country. They used to joke that the really cold weather made people healthier.

But that was just a story. The really cold weather killed off the weak ones, and what was left, during the summer, didn't look too bad!

That's pretty much where our colds come from - the toddler aged nephews.

I haven't had a cold/flu since retiring but strains/sprains related to exercise may take a bit more time to recover fully. I feel like I am much healthier overall since I have more time for exercise and healthy meals.

Is it possible that we retired folk have fewer colds because, no longer working, we have less physical contact with other humans, therefore less potential to pick up an virus?

Is it possible that we retired folk have fewer colds because, no longer working, we have less physical contact with other humans, therefore less potential to pick up an virus?

+1000

Back
Top Bottom