Losing weight and Cancer???

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What I know about medicine and medical treatments you could probably fit into a thimble, so here is the question:
I have a friend who just found out she has uterine Cancer. She also just informed me she lost 60 lbs. over the past year, but attributed it to nerves as she was taking care of a husband who was dying of Cancer (he died) and getting the house ready to sell.
Now that she has lost the weight and the Dr. says she has Cancer does it sound like too late to help her? Seems to me she maybe has let it go waaay too long to do anything about it. Right? Wrong?

You don't really have enuf info to form any idea as to what her likelihood of success is.

The first thing is she needs to get an official diagnosis with what stage her cancer is at and how aggressive it is.

It is never too late to help her. The real question is "will it make a difference?"

Need more info, and possibly an MRI or CT scan to give you a serious answer

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I know about as much as you about medicine, so can offer no advice. I do know this: she's lucky to have you as a friend. Support and love from friends and family can only help.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Orchid.

I think unexplained weight loss used to be one of the main seven warning signs of cancer, but I see here: Seven Warning Signs of Cancer: UI Health Topics: University of Iowa Health Care that it's not. So maybe even if your friend's weight loss turns out to be related to her illness, it doesn't necessarily mean that the illness has progressed to the point where treatment won't be effective.

So sorry to hear about your friend, OF. She certainly has hit some hard times!

Losing weight can indeed be a symptom of cancer, often advanced cancer, but it can also be due to stress and overwork, and your friend has had plenty of that. Without more information one really can't say. She needs a full workup. And of course "helping her" is what friends are for, at any stage of cancer.

Here's a useful site with good info:
Uterine Cancer (Endometrial Cancer) Symptoms, Signs, Staging, Treatment and Risk Factors on MedicineNet.com

Here's a quote from another site, Uterine Cancer - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis - Breast Cancer - C-Health
Endometrial cancer in its early stages has one predominant symptom: abnormal uterine bleeding. Bleeding is abnormal in a premenopausal woman if it occurs at unusual times. In a postmenopausal woman, any uterine bleeding is abnormal. One-third of postmenopausal women who see their doctor about abnormal uterine bleeding have endometrial cancer.

At the same time, it's this symptom that allows the cancer to be detected early enough to get effective treatment. The Pap smear test, designed to find cancer in the cervix, often catches cancers located in the uterus, but it often misses them too.

9 out of 10 uterine cancers cause bleeding. There are usually no other symptoms or warning signs in early endometrial cancer. More advanced uterine cancers can cause pelvic pain, weight loss, bloating and swelling of the abdomen (lower stomach area).​

Sorry to read about your friend, OrchidFlower. As a clinician I have been advised not to give any medical advice on this website. However, the website provided by Maedbh seems to provide good infomation. You may also wish to register to this website : eMedicine - Medical Reference (it's free). It's one of the websites I use for reliable, up to date info. Good luck.

Now that she has lost the weight and the Dr. says she has Cancer does it sound like too late to help her? Seems to me she maybe has let it go waaay too long to do anything about it. Right? Wrong?

Thanks, folks, for the information.
She is hoping it's endometrial, of course, as that she said is easier to cure.
She took care of hubby till he died and then packed and moved to another city far away. She never had a check-up for the entire year even with all the weight loss...gosh, even I--who never hardly go to a Dr.--would have freaked out at that and gone to the Dr. But, what's done is done and she can only go forward now.
I'm not sure she would have even gone to the Dr. at all, but I have been writing her every once in awhile for like 3 years very casually. When she told me her symptoms of all the goo/discharge coming out of her I (secretly had a fit) suggested so strong as I could that she go have it checked to see: 1. if it was nothing (I knew that was impossible, but any b.s. in a situation like this to get her to go...ok, I was in sales and you use your skills in these situations); or, if it was something serious and incurable, that she see a Dr. to make sure she had someone to dole out meds and avoid pain. She actually bought this (whew!) and went finally...thank God.
Well, now it's a wait and see I guess....sad....hope she will be alright with just some help from the Dr. All I can do from here is be here for her when she needs me...but I am worried about her now.

As a clinician I have been advised not to give any medical advice on this website.
I suggest you take a look at the posts by Rich_In_Tampa, Meadbh and a couple of other physicians posting here. They never give advice but they provide excellent and welcomed information - far beyond "see this website".

Thank you REWahoo for your comment. I will bear this in mind.

I suggest you take a look at the posts by Rich_In_Tampa, Meadbh and a couple of other physicians posting here. They never give advice but they provide excellent and welcomed information - far beyond "see this website".

Hello Ron - Answer to first question : Friends outside this forum who happen to know a thing or two about litigation.

Answer to second question : no

By whom? Does the "hands on" application of your knowledge disqualify you in some way?

In case people are forgetting, our community rules (link at the bottom of the page) says this about relying on the what professionals on this forum have to say:

Do your own due diligence!
People who are professionals in a variety of fields post on this forum and share their general knowledge. Many of them are brilliant. Some are doofi.
Information obtained from professionals (or from anyone for that matter) who are participants in this forum should be not be relied on when making important life decisions. Their posts are not intended to be professional advice. Their posts may not be accurate, applicable or complete for your own unique situation.

Hello Martha - I agree with what you say. I hope those who ask for medical advice on this website are aware of this disclaimer. Those of us on this site who are clinicians in real life face the risk of being sued for giving the wrong piece of advice (even online, where IP addresses can be traced), so I am just being extra cautious. Hope this makes sense. Take care.

Information obtained from professionals (or from anyone for that matter) who are participants in this forum should be not be relied on when making important life decisions. Their posts are not intended to be professional advice. Their posts may not be accurate, applicable or complete for your own unique situation.

Hello Martha - I agree with what you say. I hope those who ask for medical advice on this website are aware of this disclaimer. However, those of us who are clinicians in real life face the risk of being sued for giving the wrong piece of advice (even online, where IP addresses can be traced), so I am just being extra cautious. Hope this makes sense. Take care.
You might want to take a look at the disclaimers in the sig lines of Martha (attorney) and Rich_In_Tampa (physician), plus other professionals posting here. No harm in you doing the same if you feel uncomfortable in making any medical statement (note I did not say "giving advice") on the forum.

In my opinion, if you are so risk averse that you can't comment at all when it comes to medical subjects, you should avoid posting to those threads entirely. Posting to say you can't give advice isn't very helpful.

Please note that I'm not trying to be unkind or harsh, I'm simply trying to get you to lighten up a bit and not feel as if you're walking on litigation eggshells. :)

Thank you for your kind advice REWahoo. Appreciated. You are right - I guess I am more cautious than others on this website. I hope one day I find the confidence to lighten up a bit :)

You might want to take a look at the disclaimers in the sig lines of Martha (attorney) and Rich_In_Tampa (physician), plus other professionals posting here. No harm in you doing the same if you feel uncomfortable in making any medical statement (note I did not say "giving advice") on the forum.

In my opinion, if you are so risk averse that you can't comment at all when it comes to medical subjects, you should avoid posting to those threads entirely. Posting to say you can't give advice isn't very helpful.

Please note that I'm not trying to be unkind or harsh, I'm simply trying to get you to lighten up a bit and not feel as if you're walking on litigation eggshells. :)

OF best wishes to your friend. I hope she gets the treatment she needs and goes on to enjoy her later years. It sounds like she has been through a lot the past few years.

Thanks...and yeah, I am worried about her particularly cause she hasn't contacted me since last week. My guess is they put her in the hospital now. Poor gal...and she thought she was starting a whole new chapter in her life (but not in this way).

Thank you for your kind advice REWahoo. Appreciated. You are right - I guess I am more cautious than others on this website. I hope one day I find the confidence to lighten up a bit :)

I always appreciate the information that the medical (and other) professionals provide here. I'm no lawyer, but I see the distinction between information and advice. Bogus example:

Information - Yes, mumbojumbo-itis is an extremely rare condition, only three reported cases this century, but it is 100% fatal if not caught early.

Advice - It doesn't sound like you have mumbojumbo-itis, it's very rare, I wouldn't worry about it.

-ERD50

Hello ERD - I agree with what you say. I am not a lawyer either, but there is a fine line between medical information and medical advice. Therefore, in my opinion, it is “safer” (for those of us on this site who are clinicians) to provide information only by giving good references instead of writing anything which may be misunderstood / misconstrued as advice. I have a license to protect… hope you can see where I am coming from.

I always appreciate the information that the medical (and other) professionals provide here. I'm no lawyer, but I see the distinction between information and advice.

Sorry to read this Orchidflower. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend. Keep us informed.

Thanks...and yeah, I am worried about her particularly cause she hasn't contacted me since last week. My guess is they put her in the hospital now. Poor gal...and she thought she was starting a whole new chapter in her life (but not in this way).

Hello ERD - I agree with what you say. I am not a lawyer either, but there is a fine line between medical information and medical advice. Therefore, in my opinion, it is “safer” (for those of us on this site who are clinicians) to provide information only by giving good references instead of writing anything which may be misunderstood / misconstrued as advice. I have a license to protect… hope you can see where I am coming from.

I understand where you are coming from... and can easily understand your reluctance to jeopardise the commentment you have made to your life. I further understand that the you have nothing to fear from this group... except that everyone who visits this Forum is not an official member of the collective and self-preservation is called for (by all of us).

With that in mind, I (personally) will not put any pressure on you to do more than you are comfortable with... I appreciate any input that you are willing to give.

Just as an update: I wrote her finally and really expressed concern, so she wrote back right away and said that she had good news so far (endometrial Cancer); and the Dr. wants her this coming Monday to schedule a colonoscopy. He must want to see if any of it has spread I guess. She seemed pretty happy and was just working on fixing up her new house.
So far, so good.:cool: This is one of those cases to me where time will tell I think....but she's such a workaholic that she distracts herself with fixing that new house. Makes me wonder if I could be that cool in this situation? I hope I never have to find out, frankly.

You don't really have enuf info to form any idea as to what her likelihood of success is.

The first thing is she needs to get an official diagnosis with what stage her cancer is at and how aggressive it is.

Agreed. Stage is key info as is pathology results from a biopsy. I lost 30 pounds in a month with Stage II Hodgkins Lymphoma - that was 1986. Sudden weight loss by itself is not a death sentence. Stage IV cancer of any kind is usually bad.

Back
Top Bottom