Nutrition Software

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Sometimes over the past few years there have been posts mentioning nutrition software- you enter what you eat and how much, and it outputs your intake of macronutrients and also many vitamins and minerals. I have a good Swiss gram scale.

I cannot find any of this, and I would like to try one of these programs. I eat low carb, have no trouble adhering to it, but I think that my serving sizes of supposedly OK amounts of veggies might push me over the level of carbs that I want (25-45gm/day). Also, I would like to know about Na,K, and other nutrients. If necessary, I would rather pay for some good software, than try to go my own way with spreadsheets.

Any suggestions or links?

Ha

Check MyFitnessPal.com. It does not have all the nutrients you might want to track (but does have Na,K, Iron).
I found it easy to use when I monitored my diet for two months.
Below is the list of nutrients they use, I copied & pasted an entry for a tbsp of unsalted butter:

Nutrition Facts
Butter - Unsalted

Servings:

Calories 102 Sodium 2 mg
Total Fat 12 g Potassium 3 mg
Saturated 7 g Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 3 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Vitamin A 7% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

Good question. I heard there was an iphone app, but don't have details. I also attempt to limit refined carbs, but like you, am unsure of the portions. What would be cool would be software with an integrated scale. You would put down your plate, zero it out, then tell the software what you were dishing up. It would have to be that easy or I'm probably not going to keep it up.

I like fitday but I only use it on my computer. I don't think the phone app is that good.

I have had Dietpower installed on my computer for a decade or more, I guess, and like it a lot. You can get a 15-day free trial at their website and then if you like it, you can purchase a "key" to unlock it permanently for $27.95. This is a very good company to deal with - - real human beings (imagine that? :LOL:). I haven't tried any of the other software or websites so I don't know how it compares with them. Here's a link to the download page:

Calorie Counter Diet Software 100% Guaranteed... & FREE Food Diary..

It tells you how much sodium and potassium you have ingested each day, and for the week, month, year, and so on, plus the same for another 30+ nutrients (see below). It also gives you the %PDA for each. It has a huge list of foods and their nutrients and you can add your own if you wish. Interestingly, I found when tracking nutrients that if I eat whatever the software says I am lacking, my appetite is somewhat reduced. This is a desirable outcome for someone like me who needs to lose weight. It gives you diet and eating recommendations which I ignore because I just use it as an aid when on Weight Watchers.

Calories
Fat g
Saturaged g
polyunsat g
monounsat g
trans fat g
cholesterol mg
sodium mg
potassium mg
carbohydrate g
dietary fiber g
sugars g
protein g
Vit A micrograms
Vit C milligrams
Calcium milligrams
iron milligrams
Vit D IU
Vit E IU
Thiamin micrograms
Riboflavin micrograms
Niacin milligrams
Vig B6 micrograms
Folate micrograms
Vit B12 micrograms
Phosphorus milligrams
Magnesium milligrams
Zinc milligrams
Copper micrograms
Manganese milligrams
Selenium micrograms
Water fl oz
Alcohol fl oz

Last edited:
Check MyFitnessPal.com. It does not have all the nutrients you might want to track (but does have Na,K, Iron).
I found it easy to use when I monitored my diet for two months.
Below is the list of nutrients they use, I copied & pasted an entry for a tbsp of unsalted butter:

Nutrition Facts
Butter - Unsalted

Servings:

Calories 102 Sodium 2 mg
Total Fat 12 g Potassium 3 mg
Saturated 7 g Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g  Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 3 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Vitamin A 7% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

I also use " My Fitness Pal " . When I don't log in it says I need encouragement not my idea of a great pal but it is a useful tool .

+1 on fitday.com although I haven't used it in years. I remember it listed vitamin content of each food item as well as calories/fiber/carb info. I was introduced to it by someone who was counting carbs. It was free then, and it may still be although I think you can buy an upgrade.

Another vote for Fitday dot com. I use the free version which is fine as long as you have ad blocking software on your computer. Check it out before you pay for anything else.

MyFitnessPal has a nice iPad app and is easy to use. I like Fitday too, but find I'm more consistent when I have an app to make data entry easy.

Thanks for all the help. I'll check out over the week. I am surprised that so many of us use nutrition software, but I can see that it would really give good information.

Ha

I have been using the stand alone (desktop) version of CRON-O-Meter for years and really like it, especially for the price (free, open source, runs on any desktop with Java): CRON-O-Meter Download

The original developer is really pushing his web based version now; but, I have not tried that. (I am not connected all the time; so, I like having the stand alone app.)

Lena tracks everything with FatSecret.com (I'd think they'd want to call it ThinSecret.com). But it doesn't track potassium, and isn't very complete.

For me it doesn't seem worth the effort of data entry, except once in a while to answer some specific questions. Unless one has CDO.

Unless one has CDO.
What is CDO?

As to effort and payoff, I track all my expenses and have for 25 years. When I was married my wife gave me all her receipts, except $100 or so per month that we felt was her business.

Why not the same with food? Nothing like adding up some figure to reveal a lot you didn't realize.

I have noticed that as I get more low carb, often I really don't even feel like eating 3x/day. Always breakfast, and almost always a good sized lunch around 2pm if I am home, but maybe very light on the dinner. This is in spite of a daily exercise calorie output that averages 495kc/day, every day. Occasional 0 output days are balanced by bigger days.

Sometimes I don't realize that I am hungry, but when I get to eating, I think Oh Yeah, this is what I needed. If weight and metabolic health were very tighly linked, I should be a very healthy person. But I struggle to keep my blood sugar below 100, and to keep my BP normal. Though I think this last is mostly because I can become quite anxious about having it taken.

My problem with low carb eating is that I really like vegetables, and even the so called low carb veggies can add up. Starches and sweets never even cross my mind, and I am grateful for that, as i once was a potato head and a pasta-holic. We have much more power than we usually realize to change our lives and weight and health.

Ha

This is too clever for me; I underestimated T-Al. Nothing quite like demonstrating whatever you are referencing.

Not gonna be found over at that other site. :)

I like fit day, and used to use it a lot.

On my iPhone, Carb Manager has proven to be a very good app.

Interesting that low carb veggies are keeping your blood sugar higher than you want it. I found the opposite is true in my case. When I eat more veggies (often than not, the leafy kind but probably not all that different with cauliflower, broccoli and such) in the evening with meat and fat, my fasting blood sugar in the morning is much lower. I am not sure if it's because I end up consuming less calories or what. (I end up not eating as much protein when I eat a huge salad for example.)

I've used a variety of online sources: Livestrong, fitday, fatsecret, sparkpeople.

I liked Livestrong a lot but they have made it difficult to add foods that aren't in their database or where it is but someone has put in the wrong information. You have to link to the manufacturer's website or upload a photo of the label. Lots of places don't put the info on the website and having to constantly upload labels is a PITA. Also, it has no net carbs option. I do like that you can see not only the day but also each week. It also recalculates caloric amount based upon activity you enter for the day.

Fitday and Fatsecret I tried and can't remember why I didn't like them. I remember one of them didn't do net carbs and the other didn't have much in the database. Can't remember which.

Currently I'm using Sparkpeople. I like how you enter new foods and you can display both carbs and net carbs. I haven't found a way to display sugar. It has a lot of nutrients it will display, however. And, it makes entering new foods very easy. The main problem I've had is that its search function doesn't seem to work very well. There are times when I search for a food that I know is in that database and it doesn't turn up. Not sure what I'm getting wrong.

However, on all of these nutrients beyond what is on the typical food label won't be available for many foods unless you cook from total scratch and don't eat out.

However, on all of these nutrients beyond what is on the typical food label won't be available for many foods unless you cook from total scratch and don't eat out.
Thanks for your input. I do cook from total scratch, and don't eat out much and when I do 80% if the time I have raw fish or shellfish, with a little sea vegetable and pickled ginger.

Ha

Thanks for your input. I do cook from total scratch, and don't eat out much and when I do 80% if the time I have raw fish or shellfish, with a little sea vegetable and pickled ginger.

Ha

In that case Sparkpeople is nice because it allows you when you enter in foods to add in all sorts of nutrients.

I want to track what I eat for a while, not necessarily to count calories and loose weight, but to see how healthy or unhealthy my diet is, what ratio of carbs, fat & protein I'm eating, etc, so I tried some of the recommendations in this thread and wanted to share my opinions. All of these offer free versions, some have pay-for versions with more features, all of these are web based, but some offer smart phone versions. I only tested the free, web-based versions:

FitDay - this is the first one I tried because I see it's mentioned a lot here, and is highly recommended on the blog Mark's Daily Apple which I've been reading. Overall, I felt this site was pretty good, but it's loaded with ads and I found it extremely slow to use. I installed an ad blocker and that helped considerably but it was still so slow, that I wanted to look for something better. Some comments:

• food tracker does not categorize meals separately (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks). Maybe not a big deal, but when I tried other trackers that did categorize meals, I found that helpful, especially when it let you copy meals between days.
  • does not appear to have the large database of brand-name foods that other trackers do.
  • cannot see other user-contributed foods as you can on some other sites (which is how other sites get a big database of brand name foods)
  • cannot copy food or meals from previous days
  • nice, basic selection of reports and charts, and I like how a small user-selectable chart appears on every page, that is, you don't need to go to a separate section of the website to see a chart of how you're doing.

Cronometer - pretty nice, but limited reporting and the food database was not very comprehensive, so I kept looking. Comments:

• food tracker does not categorize meals separately (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks).
  • not many brand name foods in database - no user contributed foods, just very generic stuff like "corn-based, extruded, puffs or twists, cheese flavor" as opposed to "Cheetos". The generic entry is probably good enough in most cases, but for some foods I think having the exact brand name food in the database does make a big difference.
  • very quick and easy data entry for food log, quick and easy to edit existing entries, and you can drag & drop to rearrange entries in your log
  • can copy one or more foods by by cutting and pasting from other days - a bit tedious
  • detailed nutrition breakdown & chart on the food logging page - lots of information in 1 place, but almost too much detail!
  • reports are pretty limited

MyFitnessPal - I like this one a lot - of the 4 trackers I tired, this has the BEST method for adding food to your log - very quick, very easy, many options - by far the best! But it had the absolute worst selection of reports and I don't see the point of logging what you eat if you can't get some basic analysis of that data. In their user forums, it seems that their smart phone app has some better reporting tools, but users are still asking for more. If this tracker had some better reporting, I'd probably have stopped looking for something better. Comments:

• very quick & easy data entry
  • clean, uncluttered user interface
  • VERY EXTENSIVE database of brand name foods (user contributed) - nearly everything I tried searching for!
    • can easily give feedback on accuracy of user contributions
    • nice food database search page
  • categorizes meals separately (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks)
  • easy to copy meals to/from different days

SparkPeople - This is the one I settled on. Data entry is pretty quick and easy, the food database is pretty extensive (but still not as extensive as MyFitnessPal's), reporting is very good. This is a very professionally run (ie slick) website. My initial impression was that there was too much 'stuff' on it - recipes, exercise videos, information on various health conditions, etc. - I figured I could get that information from any number of websites and I didn't want it cluttering up my food tracker. But after using it for 2 weeks, I don't mind the extra 'stuff' at all, and having a new exercise video available every day on my login page has actually motivated me to try a few new exercises. This site as a lot of good features which I'm still exploring, but I've decided to stick with SparkPeople and don't feel the need to look any further. Comments:

• categorizes meals separately (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks)
  • easy to copy meals to different days
  • easy to create 'food groups' for foods you frequently eat together. I find this especially useful for entering my typical breakfasts.
  • very good selection of reports
  • the most useful report for me is the 'daily feedback': it gives you a nice group of charts showing how you met your goals for the current day, and the past 7 days. Goals are your target range for calories, fat, carbs, cholesterol, etc. If you see that you've gone over or under your goal for something, like carbs for example, you can click on that point on the chart, and it pops up a window with your food log for that day, showing the the carb count each food, making it simple to see where you went astray.

I'm sure there are many other good trackers out there, but I just wanted to share my opinion of these 4.

I tried the same ones except I did Livestrong My plate instead of Chronometer and have -- for now anyway -- settled on SparkPeople. It has a couple of negatives. I liked to see at a glance how much fiber I've eaten. I can get that information but have to go to the detailed report to get it. I've also found no way to track sugar (you can track net carbs though which is nice). It also lets you set nutrient ranges per day which is nice. Livestrong (paid version) is better at letting you see weekly information and copying from one day to the next but you don't get net carbs and the procedure to correct an incorrect food listing or add one is simply painful.

Back
Top Bottom