Plant based breakfasts

Stanley

Recycles dryer sheets
On another thread several people have mentioned how they benefited by eating a mostly plant based diet. Not necessarily 100% vegitarian, but probably 80-90% plant based.

I am wondering what they make for breakfast. It is my favorite meal and I can't figure out what to do about it. I have eliminated the sugary, highly processed foods I used to eat - pancakes, waffles, coffee cakes, donuts, most cerials, etc. I eat a lot of eggs, some bacon and sausage, and occasionally a whole grain cereal that is not as highly processed as most.

But, what do you eat for breakfast when your are eating a mostly plant based diet?

Lots of fruits, cottage cheese, yogurt...

(Organic) Peanut butter on sprouted-whole-grain cinnamon raisin toast. That is our most common breakfast.

But I am personally not an advocate of a plant-based diet. I drink milk in my coffee.

Kashi Go-Lean/Fiber One mix, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries with half light soy juice (soy milk that really isn't milk) and half skim milk (that really is milk so it isn't a purely vegetable based breakfast, but that cow ate plants, didn't she?).

I don't mind some dairy products at all. I am thinking of eating far more plant based food, but I will still eat meat, fish and dairy, just a lot less.

We're not shooting for strictly plant based but we try to emphasize fruits, veggies, good fats and limit meats/eggs, starches, simple carbs/sugar at all meals. Our go-to breakfasts are:
  • Frozen waffles w/ frozen blueberries & nuts (qualifies?)
  • Steel-cut oats w/ fresh fruit (apple, pear, pome, mango, etc.) & nuts (qualifies?)
  • Scrambled eggs w/onions, tortilla chips (or Eng muffin) & salsa (doesn't qualify)
  • Granola w/ 0% org milk (sorta?)
FWIW

Last edited:
Scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, toast and some Tang or water to drink. Not every day, but most of the time.

I try to eat plant-based lunches but for breakfast I usually have some dairy products: a cup of tea with milk, toasts with butter and jam or oats (with raisins and almonds) with milk. For a plant-based breakfast, I could take my tea black, omit the butter on the toasts, and replace the milk with water for the oats.

I try to eat plant-based lunches but for breakfast I usually have some dairy products: a cup of tea with milk, toasts with butter and jam or oats (with raisins and almonds) with milk. For a plant-based breakfast, I could take my tea black, omit the butter on the toasts, and replace the milk with water for the oats.

I am thinking mostly plant based, so having some butter on the toast or milk with the cereal or cream with the coffee would not be a problem in my mind.
OTOH, eggs, bacon, with a side of hash browns fried in the bacon grease would probably not be what I am thinking of as mostly plant based. ;)

You can have your choice of cereals with almond, rice, or soy milk. These milks taste delicious. Just give it a try. And of course, fruits, too.

Kashi cereal with almond milk and berries
Whole grain oatmeal (not instant) with berries
Whole grain toast with some type of no-sugar added fruit spread

Today organic multigrain cereal, with raw almonds, and almond milk,
whole banana and whole grapefruit.

carbs calories
almond milk 5- 35
cereal 24- 110
almonds 3- 80
banana 24- 105
grapefruit 10- 40

Last edited:
Forgot to add a tbsp of walnuts on the cereal. I am probably 90%+ plant based dietarily, but not fanatic about it. Just like it better. Like a little fish, chicken or turkey for my animal protein and whatnot. Have lost the taste for beef pretty much.

Homemade granola. Easy, delicious, and you can control what goes into it.

I like Alton Brown's "recipe." Well, like most recipes, not so much a recipe as a jumping-off point. For example, I omit the coconut, reduce the sugars and oil, and reduce the salt. It's a good use for whatever nuts I have in the pantry that need to be used up.

Granola Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

A big bowl of mixed fruit (orange, grapefruit, apple, banana, melon), mix in a handful of sliced almonds and a tablespoon of ground flax seeds, all topped with frozen strawberries or blueberries blended with almond milk. Usually keeps me going into mid-afternoon.

On Sunday afternoons I make a Vita-Mix pitcher of spinach, coconut milk, strawberries, raspberries, oranges, blueberries, kale, carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, you name it, it goes in there. It's thick and ugly and tastes kind of icky, but it's the only way I can get down my veggies. I have a big glass of this each a.m. along with a scrambled egg. I need the egg/protien or I am starving by 10 a.m.

I'd love to get away from beef totally, but DH's 11th Commandment is "Thou Shalt Consume Beef Daily". I can barely stand the smell of it cooking any more. :confused:

Many mornings, at least 50% of the time, i have leftovers. Tomorrow morning i will probably re-heat a baked potato, cover it with salsa and have cantaloupe (not on top of the potato).

One morning this week it was a big bowl of stir fry with extra soy sauce.

About once a week i cook a bag of beans. Leftover beans make a pretty good breakfast, especially if it is a long time to lunch.

On mornings with no decent leftovers, it is usually a slice of dry toast.

While microwaving my steel cut oatmeal in water, I am chewing a bunch of natural whole almonds ... to which I add blueberries and raspberries. And coffee. BTW, don't overlook plant protein ... horses are pretty muscular and eat hay; cows eat grass.

Never thought about my breakfast being plant based but I guess it is weekdays. It's oat bran hot cereal with blueberries, ground flax seed, cinnamon, almond butter. I eat an apple also. Weekends I eat at a local cafe.

Back
Top Bottom