Sleep... Perchance to Dream

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
I debated about posting this, because the subject is so involved, and different for everyone, but when we consider that roughly one third of life is spent in sleep, certainly important, and deserving of understanding.

As many sources that can be found discussing sleep, and dreams... that's how many opinions and beliefs can be found. Surely there are kindred spirits with the same outlook, but they are few and far between.

So... for anyone who cares to share their experience or thoughts, a place to make comment.

For starters, some considerations...
- Hours of sleep... working, retired, as a function of age
- Naps
- Insomnia
- Interrupted - bathroom - snacks- worry
- Conditions - warm, cold, sleep clothing
- Light - TV- music - white sound
- Sleep lightly - deeply
- Sleep apnea -snoring
- Sleep -back - side
- Alone - twin or double bed -sitting up - anywhere
- Time to get to sleep
- Waking - slowly - ready to go
- Medication - tea -booze
- Racing thoughts - problem solving
- REM sleep... time... more here Sleep - Types and Stages of Sleep - REM Sleep

Dreams
- Nightmares
- Lucid -(managed dreams)
- Problem solving
- First person active or observer
- Recurring - Search - chase - fear
- Reliving past
- Pleasant - realistic - wish fulfilment -
- Freudian - psychological - analysis - believe? or not?
- Dream - wake- return to dreaam
- Result of physical condition - fatigue - digestive distress
- How often
- More or less than before
- Work- Play-
-Out of body experience - floating - as observer

Yeah.. so tossing this out not as a quiz, but a starter for any part of sleeping that is a meaningful part of your life. Not for solutions, but for conversation.
......................................................................................

Some of my initial thoughts...
A big difference as I grow older. Less continuous sleep. Go to bed almost any time... from 6:00PM to Midnight. Rarely sleep continuously for more than 2 hours. Get up, watch TV, computer, music. Back to sleep... lots of dreaming. Learned how to manage "lucid" dreams.
Recurrent dream about one event from past circa 1977, when I was responsible for an all day meeting for 250 people, to include meals. Made and double checked all plans with the convention hall. Breakfast @ 8 AM. Arrived at 6:30, to find hall locked, no one in kitchen... massive screw up. I fixed it at the time, but trauma.
Second dream a reprise of a solo snowmobile adventure, sliding down cliff below zero temps, landed with snowmobile in the middle of a blowdown, and extreme effort to lift, push and dig out. 55 years ago.
Was hoping for daytime naps, but that doesn't seem to happen, even though there is no reason not.
..................................................................................
Any thoughts... about sleep, and the place it takes in your life. And, if you sleep like a baby...:confused:? Your secret!?

Still working in mid-50s. Sleep like a well-fed, dry baby. (Typically, even though we share a traditional waterbed, don't even know when DW gets called out for middle of night delivery, or when she returns.) To bed usually between 11-12, up at 530. Weekends, sleep in til 730-830, unless work is really pressing.

Dreams? Sometimes I remember them when I wake up, but not often. Rarely, when work is particularly pressing and I am wrestling with an argument, I'll dream about it when lightly sleeping....

We both look forward to finding out what our normal sleep patterns are when not driven by work schedules.

E.T.A.--why sleep like baby (DW does too, most of the time)? Maybe lack of sleep overall? Maybe the bottle of wine with dinner, which we usually finish after 9:00? Most likely, we are lucky. :)

Have been surprised at change in sleep patterns since retiring about a year ago.

Before retirement - Regularly went to bed late. Often had to "wind down" my mind from thinking about things that interested or bothered me from work. So it often took me quite awhile to go to sleep. Rarely slept through the entire night. When I woke up in the middle of the night (pretty common), my mind started racing again and I'd have difficulty going back to sleep. Might take 45 minutes to fall asleep again. Slept pretty lightly and woke in the morning typically around 4-4:30 am with my mind going active again.....usually planning my upcoming workday which I didn't leave the house for until about 7 am. Overall was often tired but was used to it so it didn't bother me.

After retirement - I realize now how much mental stress I had because now it is totally gone which has had a large impact on my sleep patterns. I go to bed earlier and usually read a bit before going to sleep. Falling asleep usually occurs very fast (15 minutes max??) and I now sleep very deeply. Often sleep through the entire night. If I wake up in the night, I fall back asleep easily. I wake up in the morning when the sun shines through my window so it varies throughout the year. I am typically very well rested and relaxed. Overall I am much calmer.

One thing hasn't changed...it was very rare for me to dream before retirement and it is still very rare.

1. Length of sleep: I sleep less now than I did before retirement. Reasons might be:

• older
  • less mental stress to work through
  • naps now that I couldn't take while working; generally 4-5 PM, about a half hour and intensely refreshing
At any rate, if I am not sleepy then I "give myself permission" to sleep less sometimes. I get about 7 hours/night, but only 4-6 hours maybe one night a week. I never take sleep medications or aids and for me the idea of taking drugs for that is repugnant and gross (for me). :yuk: My attitude is that I'll sleep when I really need sleep.

2. I have had lucid dreaming for years, and used it to help me get out of nightmares. I don't bother with it as much any more because I don't often have nightmares any more now that I am retired. If a dream is pleasant, why steer it?

3. Typical dream: In last night's dream I discovered that my new house has a basement! Which seemed odd, because houses in New Orleans do not have basements due to the water table here. Besides, I have lived in my new house for eight months so you'd think I would have noticed before now. Anyway, in the dream I was so intrigued and hoped/expected to explore it and discover treasure and gold. Then the alarm went off so I'll never know what was there. :LOL: Most of my dreams are pleasant, interesting, and fun like that one.

4. My alarm: I have to set an alarm, or else I'll sleep an hour later and stay up an hour later every day (living a 25 hour day instead of a 24 hour day). This results in being awake when the rest of the community is asleep, and asleep when everyone else is awake, a very inconvenient situation. My brother experienced the same thing in retirement and jokes that he must be an extra-terrestrial. :ROFLMAO: Anyway, I think 8 AM is a good time to awaken. I have an alarm clock that awakens me gently to the sounds of birds chirping.

5. Tossing and turning: I am an active sleeper and don't feel completely unwound until I have been able to flop around a LOT for a few hours. It really helps me in feeling more rested by my sleep. I have a king sized bed (because years ago I got a used bedroom furniture set for $400 that had a king bed frame). So, I can toss, turn, and flop all night to my heart's content and have lots of room for it. Acres and acres of flopping space. :D

This entire post is probably TMI!!!

Last edited:
To be or not to be - that is the question,
Whether it is nobler in the mind to bear
the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or take up arms against a sea of troubles and
by opposing, end them
To die, to sleep
No more, and by a sleep to say we end
The heart ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to. Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream
Eye, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come . . .

Sorry, can't let a Shakespeare reference pass.

Carry on. :)

I guess I'll be the first one to say "yeah, I suffer from sleep apnea! ".

I started having sleep issues in my mid 40's. It progressed to the point of nodding off mid day and never feeling like I got a good night's rest. I tried ambien at first but I didn't like the way it left me feeling the next day.

Eventually I did a sleep test and after being diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea I started using a cpap machine. After months of using different types of masks I finally found one I could get used to. It took me a few years of using it off and on till I finally got comfortable using it every night.

I only sleep 6 to 7 hours a night and rarely nap. But I do feel like I'm getting good sleep now 90% of the time.

The nights I dream are more often which is a good sign of REM sleep. I did recently have a dream about work and woke up feeling tired...lol

I look forward to retirement in 4 to 5 years and smashing my alarm clock when I get there!

I find without the pressure of work the next day, it's easy to stay up late (like now) on the computer.
For me this can be bad because I wake up at 7am since the sun rises and even with blackout curtains and blinds and more curtains, it still gets too bright to sleep.
I only use an alarm if I have real plans the next day, as it doesn't matter too much when I get up.

Sometimes I'll wake up in the night, but just roll over and fall back asleep, only rarely is it hard to fall asleep again.

As for dreams, they all seem intriguing with familiar faces and odd situations, no nightmares at all. Occasionally some dreams are so real that when I wake up I cannot tell if I'm remembering a dream or an actual event.

Eventually I did a sleep test and after being diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea I started using a cpap machine. After months of using different types of masks I finally found one I could get used to. It took me a few years of using it off and on till I finally got comfortable using it.

DW has been telling me for years that she thinks I have sleep apnea. So, I finally mentioned it to my doctor who then set up a sleep test, which I took one week ago. Still awaiting the results. I'm afraid it's going to be a positive diagnosis. At one point during the test the attendant rushed into the room asking if I was ok because "your airway was closed."

Doc told me that sleep apnea is easily fixed with the cpap machine, and went on and on about all of the health benefits of using one. But, I just can't stand the thought of wearing a mask and being hooked up to a machine every might. I just don't see how that could be comfortable enough to sleep well. How long did it take you to get used to it? Do you use it every night? Do you think it's worth the inconvenience?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We go to bed at ten each night an DW rarely has trouble sleeping. I always have trouble falling asleep, so I've tried few over the counter sleep aids that make me groggy the next day, and I tried Ambien for a while, which gets me to sleep but I wake up at 2am. A couple of glasses of wine usually do the best at getting a good night's sleep. I rarely dream anymore, not like I did when I was younger.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I go through bouts of insomnia where, overt several days, or even a couple of weeks, I have trouble getting to or staying asleep. Other than that, I can sleep in any position other than on stomach.
Despite being physically active most days, and regardless of how tired I am when first going to bed, I rarely sleep very long -- 6-7 hours is typical.
About once every 3 months I have a nightmare that I can recall, and generally one of 2 themes: I find a strange room in my house that I didn't know existed (and usually filled with weird and big bugs) or some sort of frustration that I can't resolve.

Sleep is truly one of my favorite activities... because you feel so much better after a good nights sleep.

I'm still tied to the kids school schedule so I have to set an alarm for far too early. (Depending on day of week 5am or 6am- YIKES). I'm not a good napper, never have been... so I make a point of going to bed before 10 every night.

I no longer wake up in the middle of the night stressed out because I had a work related dream. That has gone away. My dreams are much more pleasant, less stressful.

My husband sleeps like a cat.... Little naps throughout the day... then 2-3 blocks of sleep over night. (2-3 hour blocks)

I need 8 hours... I've never been able to feel "right" with less sleep. I can function but feel sleep deprived and find it harder to concentrate/etc... But with 8 hours I'm firing on all cylinders.

"- Interrupted - bathroom - snacks- worry"

You forgot one rather important interruption. Unless it's covered under "snacks?" :D

I debated about posting this, because the subject is so involved, and different for everyone, but when we consider that roughly one third of life is spent in sleep, certainly important, and deserving of understanding.

As many sources that can be found discussing sleep, and dreams... that's how many opinions and beliefs can be found. Surely there are kindred spirits with the same outlook, but they are few and far between.

So... for anyone who cares to share their experience or thoughts, a place to make comment.

For starters, some considerations...
- Hours of sleep... working, retired, as a function of age
- Naps
- Insomnia
- Interrupted - bathroom - snacks- worry
- Conditions - warm, cold, sleep clothing
- Light - TV- music - white sound
- Sleep lightly - deeply
- Sleep apnea -snoring
- Sleep -back - side
- Alone - twin or double bed -sitting up - anywhere
- Time to get to sleep
- Waking - slowly - ready to go
- Medication - tea -booze
- Racing thoughts - problem solving
- REM sleep... time... more here Sleep - Types and Stages of Sleep - REM Sleep

Dreams
- Nightmares
- Lucid -(managed dreams)
- Problem solving
- First person active or observer
- Recurring - Search - chase - fear
- Reliving past
- Pleasant - realistic - wish fulfilment -
- Freudian - psychological - analysis - believe? or not?
- Dream - wake- return to dreaam
- Result of physical condition - fatigue - digestive distress
- How often
- More or less than before
- Work- Play-
-Out of body experience - floating - as observer

Yeah.. so tossing this out not as a quiz, but a starter for any part of sleeping that is a meaningful part of your life. Not for solutions, but for conversation.
......................................................................................

Some of my initial thoughts...
A big difference as I grow older. Less continuous sleep. Go to bed almost any time... from 6:00PM to Midnight. Rarely sleep continuously for more than 2 hours. Get up, watch TV, computer, music. Back to sleep... lots of dreaming. Learned how to manage "lucid" dreams.

Was hoping for daytime naps, but that doesn't seem to happen, even though there is no reason not.
..................................................................................
Any thoughts... about sleep, and the place it takes in your life. And, if you sleep like a baby...:confused:? Your secret!?

Sleep has been an elusive recreation. Horrible insomnia as a kid that persisted for many years.

Self hypnosis worked for a few years. Later in life a run in with chemical induced sleep(Ambian). Worked fine till it stopped, then months of h*ll attempting to sleep as normal folks do. I'll never touch that garbage again.

Today sleep is great, I love when I wake up and feel the sleepy buzz of being partially asleep knowing the clock says it's still sleeping time. No insomnia anymore just blissful sleep. I recall when we were first married being able to get into very deep slumbers, sometimes too deep. Once I woke up to a terrible odor a huge three story home across the street burnt to the ground during the night. Everyone was up watching, except me, I never heard several hours of a large fire. DW did NOT see the humor in the situation.:banghead:

Dreams are seldom if ever remembered maybe one every few years. Active dreamer as a kid by the time I was an adult poof no more.

DW has been telling me for years that she thinks I have sleep apnea. So, I finally mentioned it to my doctor who then set up a sleep test, which I took one week ago. Still awaiting the results. I'm afraid it's going to be a positive diagnosis. At one point during the test the attendant rushed into the room asking if I was ok because "your airway was closed."

Doc told me that sleep apnea is easily fixed with the cpap machine, and went on and on about all of the health benefits of using one. But, I just can't stand the thought of wearing a mask and being hooked up to a machine every might. I just don't see how that could be comfortable enough to sleep well. How long did it take you to get used to it? Do you use it every night? Do you think it's worth the inconvenience?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Getting used to wearing a mask while sleeping is hell!

Sorry, but that is how hard it was and the only way I can describe it. But the nights you wake up feeling great because you finally got a deep sleep you hadn't gotten in years makes it worth it to keep putting it on.

It might be easier for some people? I've heard that most prefer the nasal pillows vs a face mask, I didn't. I tried a full face mask and didn't like that either. I ended up going with a nasal mask which seemed to fit good over my mustache. Any facial hair makes for a challenging seal and you have to experiment a little.

I recently heard of this forum for people with sleep apnea CPAP and Sleep Apnea Community

I'm sure you'll find some more advice in there about the different Cpap machines and supplies etc.

I also found this to be the best place for ordering equipment. CPAP Machines and CPAP Masks for the Treatment of Sleep Apnea

I am to the point now where I just put it on and go to sleep. I rarely toss and turn anymore because of the mask. I also take a couple of melatonin each night that seems to help make me sleepy. I buy it at Trader Joe's and it's really cheap, like around $3 for a bottle.

Good Luck and sleep tight!

Back
Top Bottom