The Individual Health Insurance Market vs PPACA

Most states will not escape this Exchange network shuffle unscathed. It appears Texas provider networks are NOT all going to be the same for Exchange vs non-Exchange Plans for same carrier (e.g. Texas Oncology, a major cancer group, NOT joining any Exchange Plans).

Texas Doctors, Hospitals Don't Know If They're In Or Out Of Obamacare Plans - Kaiser Health News

I heard something on the national news that indicated Emory Health Care (Associated with Emory University) in Atlanta was not accepting some exchange plans. When I investigated further I found the following list -

http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/pati...s/pdf/the-exchange-health-insurance-plans.pdf

There are probably many non-exchange plans they don't accept too. Based on this single data point it makes me wonder what the significant factors are in the "Nationwide" exchange plans. I see Emory accepts several Humana nationwide plans. Figuring out provider networks was always a struggle during open enrollment at mega-corp. It's no easier now that I'm FIREd.

It's pretty much up to the insurers as to whether or not they want to play this sort of fun and games with policies offered. I do know that the HMO I selected offers the exact same set of individual plans both inside and outside the state exchange.

Now that you can easily comparison shop for prices and coverage terms, I suppose that playing with provider networks on a policy by policy basis is the exciting new way to do information hiding. Oh, and don't forget to re-check the provider and services networks annually once you have bought a policy. Back when I was covered by a UHC policy, we lost doctors pretty regularly, and one year we had all labs within about 50 miles become 'out of network'.

It's pretty much up to the insurers as to whether or not they want to play this sort of fun and games with policies offered. I do know that the HMO I selected offers the exact same set of individual plans both inside and outside the state exchange.

Now that you can easily comparison shop for prices and coverage terms, I suppose that playing with provider networks on a policy by policy basis is the exciting new way to do information hiding. Oh, and don't forget to re-check the provider and services networks annually once you have bought a policy. Back when I was covered by a UHC policy, we lost doctors pretty regularly, and one year we had all labs within about 50 miles become 'out of network'.

Exactly. This is nothing new, but it is fashionably newsworthy. My first out of network experience occurred just after I left my job and continued as we were knocked around the NY individual insurance marketplace. Insurers use networks to negotiate prices with health care providers. My guess is this will become even more intense in the next couple of years, especially now that coverage is subject to standards and is much easier to compare.

No, not as long as the group your individual plan is a part of remains in existence and as long as you keep making payments (and don't commit fraud in your claims). As long as that is the case, existing law still prohibits insurers from selectively non-renewing "sick" people who develop expensive conditions. (Yes, if enough people in the group get too sick and expensive, the insurer can drop the entire group, but no one can be singled out for being sick.)

The two biggest ways you could lose coverage that I'm aware of are/were Rescissions and group replacement. (There may be a formal term for what I'm calling group replacement.)

For Rescissions see United Health Care's page Consumer Protections: Rescissions | Health Care Reform Provisions
and especially the four paragraph insurance section of Rescission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, when a customer was diagnosed with an expensive condition, a health insurance company would use third party software to search the original application for any misstatement of fact whether intentional or inadvertent. If any misstatement was found, bye-bye insurance retroactive to the start of coverage with that company. Good luck getting insurance with a condition like breast cancer, much less retro-active insurance!

The group replacement game was to jack-up the premiums very significantly for everyone in an existing group, and to selectively offer the healthy people in the old group new coverage in a different group with low premiums. The old group then either becomes a defacto high-risk group, or the entire old group is terminated.

I don't think the PPACA has entirely solved these issues, but now that age, smoking, and location are pretty much the only material questions on an application Rescission should be far less of a problem than when insurance companies routinely asked for pages of medical information on their applications. The ability to get insurance through the potentially large groups on the exchanges regardless of health status should also help considerably with the group replacement problem.

Straight from the horse's mouth, Texas Oncology (in a later press release) says they have not decided:

Texas Oncology Addresses Misstatement by Sen. Ted Cruz

I wonder if Kaiser also misstated Texas Oncology's position in Oct?

"Texas Oncology, one of the largest cancer treatment groups in the state, has chosen not to participate in any health plans offered in the marketplace because “there are many unknowns related to how the Health Insurance Market Place will cover cancer treatment.”

Texas Doctors, Hospitals Don't Know If They're In Or Out Of Obamacare Plans - Kaiser Health News

And in Nov, KHOU of Houston reported that "thousands" of TO's patients had received a letter stating:
"Texas Oncology will not participate as an in-network provider for the HIMP (Health Insurance Market Place) ... We understand that these changes have a significant impact to our patients, both clinically and financially."
Later a TO rep said in an interview that it had made "no decision" regarding participation in Marketplace Plans.

Insurance loophole jeopardizes cancer treatment | khou.com Houston

Looks to me like TO had backpedaled its stance in the few days before Cruz's interview, and his camp had not caught it in time.
Ted Cruz: The Obamacare Mess Is Only Going to Get Worse - Garance Franke-Ruta - The Atlantic

If a US Senator's aides cannot keep up with these situations, it's gonna be tough (impossible?) for ordinary folks to make informed decisions on choosing Plans which include their desired providers.

Last edited:
BCBS told me provider networks could change twice a year. And that it was up to the doctor whether he/she stayed in network.

My BIL from North Carolina is at M.D. Anderson today and will be all week. Who says people don't travel far to go to that excellent facility?

There is no question that people will go great distances if there is hope for a better outcome. What I have not seen discussed, and I may have missed it, is how does the ACA policies cover this gentleman from North Carolina in the future if he wants or needs treatment in Texas.

There is no question that people will go great distances if there is hope for a better outcome. What I have not seen discussed, and I may have missed it, is how does the ACA policies cover this gentleman from North Carolina in the future if he wants or needs treatment in Texas.
MD Anderson is a "Blue Distinction Center". Many BCBS plans may consider it in network.

It should be noted that studies have shown for equivalent quality measures, in joint replacement surgeries the hospital charges vary by a factor of 3. So CalPers has set a maximum reimbursement at around 1.5 times the charge at the cheapest institution. Interestingly this is the insurance industry shopping for the most cost efficient results.
I suspect that a lot of the "name" providers charge more relative to the competition, and with the increasing availability of quality measures, may not provide that much better care. In a few cases schemes like that cited above forced the high cost providers to cut their charges. (The big variation was in institutional charges not in physician payments)

Exactly. This is nothing new, but it is fashionably newsworthy. My first out of network experience occurred just after I left my job and continued as we were knocked around the NY individual insurance marketplace. Insurers use networks to negotiate prices with health care providers. My guess is this will become even more intense in the next couple of years, especially now that coverage is subject to standards and is much easier to compare.

I always worked for mega-group practices and we played that game with at least one insurer every year, long before the ACA was being debated.

Just try having an emergency surgery. If you get that appendix whacked out in the middle of the night, you get whichever anesthesiologist is on-call. That anesthesiologist is probably not in-network. Big bill, so sorry.

BCBS told me provider networks could change twice a year. And that it was up to the doctor whether he/she stayed in network.
Twice a year? That means you could shop and compare, choose a policy in part based on network composition, only to find it changing mid-year to your disadvantage.

Twice a year? That means you could shop and compare, choose a policy in part based on network composition, only to find it changing mid-year to your disadvantage.

Yup. And, this applies to all medical insurance, whether individual, small business, or group coverage.

One of the first things my old doctors offices did (pre-HMO) was to check the insurance coverage on checking in for a visit. They'd check the coverage and tell me the copay du jour. (Well, until the last visit, when they told me I wasn't covered any more. PPOs...)

This is one more reason why I am happy with our HMO, which runs it's own offices, clinics, labs, and hospitals. They'd have trouble declaring something in their facilities to be out of network...

Perhaps the rules for allowing "special enrollment periods" for status changes should be changed to include having a doctor who is no longer in-network. Either that or the open enrollment frequency should change to be the same as the frequency in which providers can go in and out of network. If they want to promote and encourage use of in-network providers.....

Perhaps the rules for allowing "special enrollment periods" for status changes should be changed to include having a doctor who is no longer in-network. Either that or the open enrollment frequency should change to be the same as the frequency in which providers can go in and out of network. If they want to promote and encourage use of in-network providers.....

I've always thought this was a fair arrangement for both individuals and carriers. If a carrier expands their network between OE periods, they should be able to promptly reap the benefits by gaining market share. OTOH- to significantly contract networks after folks have signed on suggests a "bait & switch" since the consumer has lost access to providers they believed they were buying access to. Perhaps a novel approach for future consumer protection litigation?

Good idea.

I have also applied for a United Healthcare HSA 10K ded plan. Wife and I are waiting for approval. At age 59/60 are premium (so far) is $412 a month. We have are fingers crossed. ACA compliant bronze plan is over $1000 a month.

I have also applied for a United Healthcare HSA 10K ded plan. Wife and I are waiting for approval. At age 59/60 are premium (so far) is $412 a month. We have are fingers crossed. ACA compliant bronze plan is over $1000 a month.
$412 per month for the two of you is a great rate.

We're a few years younger 54/58 and we will be paying $650 a month combined for our ACA bronze plans with 5K each deductible in TX. Prices do seem to vary widely.

I'm too lazy to go run a quote for 58/60 but maybe I should......

Kaiser? Sure sounds like them....

This is what I was thinking, too. We're a longtime customer of Kaiser Permanente. They do contract with outside providers, however. My husband had to see a cardiologist - and saw someone at Scripps (another hospital/network in San Diego), who was billing to Kaiser for their overflow. But for the most part, the staff are salaried employees of Kaiser, and the facilities are owned by KP.

$412 per month for the two of you is a great rate.

We're a few years younger 54/58 and we will be paying $650 a month combined for our ACA bronze plans with 5K each deductible in TX. Prices do seem to vary widely.

I'm too lazy to go run a quote for 59/60 but maybe I should......
I did finally run it. For 59/60 the combined premium for our $5K each ded ACA Bronze HSA compatible plan would be $733 a month. Not nearly as bad as $1000+ per month, but still quite a bit higher than $412 a month.

Last edited:
I did finally run it. For 59/60 the combined premium for our $5K each ded ACA Bronze HSA compatible plan would be $733 a month. Not nearly as bad as $1000+ per month, but still quite a bit higher than $412 a month.

What a difference! Try running it for zip code 43123, Ohio.

Those are the BCBS rates per person for us in S FL (60/62, similar coverage level).

Back
Top Bottom