Things we can't do anymore

In better shape than some 62 year old's I know, but worse than some others. I know some who have had heart attacks and bouts with cancer. On the other side, I know others who run marathons.

I do count my blessings that I can walk, am cancer free and have no heart issues. Like you I've known others that have had serious heart issues or cancer. It's just so frustrating when I can't do simple tasks that were so simple as recently as last year. Im thankful I've got a wonderful DW who is understanding...but she won't let me use a sharp knife anymore. :(

I'm only 51 and can no longer sprint or run, due to early-onset osteoarthritis in my right knee (and now my right hip is getting achy too). It bugs the heck out of me because I still have the will to dash around like a madman, but no longer have the equipment. As my doctor said when he broke the news, I look young on the outside, but boy do I look old on the inside (he has a way with words!)

Like easysurfer, I have to take my glasses off to see detail up close, when I am working on my electronics home construction projects. A pair of progressives might help, but I'm not very fond of progressives.

Then there's the obvious one. I'm not as vigorous with my amorous pursuits as I used to be but I don't consider that a bad thing. It's rather nice for it not to be as primary a motivator as it used to be :)

I can't run as fast or as far as I used to. Can't lift as much weight. Can't see or hear as well. Most laborious tasks are a little more difficult now. But I've adjusted as I've aged.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Imoldernu pointed out possibility of essential tremors. Had a boss in his forties had it, only cure for him was a glass of wine for temporary relief. MIL, now 89, has same issue and the glass of wine worked for her too, but only so much. She has been on meds for it and neurologist. She's one to insist on more meds until her symptoms go away (despite 89) and one neurologist overdid it. We didn't realize what it was, but thought she was getting Alz, delusional as well. Next Dr backed her down and she returned to her pleasant self. :roll eyes: So if you do try meds for this watch out for side effects.

I can't say there's anything I CAN"T do now at 64, but I've pretty much given up running from plantar fasciitis, won't do ladders for fear of debilitating injury, and while I'll stubbornly do heavy work I shouldn't, I can pay dearly for it. I have noticed that exercise alone will not control weight while you eat as you always did; caloric intake is now being watched, if not under control. So DW and I are both very lucky that that's all the issues.

Found out last night I can't climb over the pet gate as easily as I used to. Caught my toe on top the gate and tumbled forward on my wrists and knee. Also found out my bones are still good even with osteopenia.

Terrible time with getting glasses that suit me at different distances.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Found out last night I can't climb over the pet gate as easily as I used to. Caught my toe on top the gate and tumbled forward on my wrists and knee. Also found out my bones are still good even with osteopenia.

Terrible time with getting glasses that suit me at different distances.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Ouch! That could have been bad! I'm glad you're okay!

Now I remember what it was!

Years ago, I could glance at young women and nobody thought much about it. Now they think it is creepy!

can't race my bike anymore. Aortic aneurysm so now no heavy lifting and a cap on my max heart rate. I can happily ride, just not as fast as I would like.

+ 1 on the vision in dimmer light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wear shorts. At 58 and although slender and athletic my thighs have mysteriously turned ugly--rather mottled looking. Ugh.

I just had this 'discussion' with some family members about at what age men should stop wearing shorts...the ones the stop way above the knees. I see a lot of men in inappropriate shorts (ie ugly). The group felt like it was a strange question and the closing comment was "you haven't been to Florida lately, have you?".

My view is there is a point where older men should stop wearing shorts, especially since now there are lots of choices in tropical weight long pants.

This came up because a male in the family group was speaking about what older women should not wear, and I wanted to mention that there are items of clothing that older men should not be wearing. The interesting thing for me was that none of them had ever considered the subject.

Amazingly my night driving is fine. I don't care to drive at night, but I can see OK when I have to do so.

Amazingly my night driving is fine. I don't care to drive at night, but I can see OK when I have to do so.

My night driving might be a bit worse, but that's okay. If I scare myself I just close my eyes. ;)

"What we can't do anymore"

Instead of enumerating the long list of what we were able to do, let's count things that we can still. It's easier that way, counting on your fingers.

What a pathetic bunch of geezers we are! Readers of this forum say "No wonder they retire early". :hide:

Last edited:
A geezer couple was sitting on a swing in the front porch.

The woman reminisced about the old days "I still remember the romantic time, when you would gently nibble my ear lobe".

The geezer sighed "OK, wait here for me to go get my dentures".

67, My eyesight is better than it ever was -cataract surgery. OTOH DW has mentioned that I may have a hearing problem. I dont see any problems with that - silence is golden.

Having had some broken bones in the past, seems it was too long ago they no longer function as weather predictors.

Until age 62 or so I could not not figure skate, now I am pretty good at it. I guess overall I would call it a draw.

Now I remember what it was!

Years ago, I could glance at young women and nobody thought much about it. Now they think it is creepy!

Google "peripheral vision" and start this hobby back up again. :)

I just had this 'discussion' with some family members about at what age men should stop wearing shorts...the ones the stop way above the knees. I see a lot of men in inappropriate shorts (ie ugly). The group felt like it was a strange question and the closing comment was "you haven't been to Florida lately, have you?".

My view is there is a point where older men should stop wearing shorts, especially since now there are lots of choices in tropical weight long pants.

This came up because a male in the family group was speaking about what older women should not wear, and I wanted to mention that there are items of clothing that older men should not be wearing. The interesting thing for me was that none of them had ever considered the subject.

timo, this reminded me of a story my Dad told me about going to see the doctor about 10 years ago (he's 72). He was complaining about having red marks on his chest (we are very fair skinned and these are little random, harmless petechiae) and saying that he didn't like how they looked when he took his shirt off.

The doc, very seriously, said "Mack, you are now at an age you don't need to be taking your shirt off ever again, in public" and left it at that.

I still laugh at his indignance to be told he should be fully-clothed in public at his age.

Getting older stinks, and I'm only 58. I'm finding there are more and more things I'm having trouble doing or just plain can't do anymore. I do have issues with my cervical spine, arthritis and nerve damage. Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it. I'm barely able to write a check that is legible (I have to print slowly) and I've given up handwriting anything else because no one (including myself) can read it. I tried changing out the thermostat to a WiFi version, but couldn't manage the wires and small screws.
Anyone else finding it's harder or impossible to do simple activities earlier in life than they expected?

I certainly hope you've been to a doctor about the shaking. My wife also had some tremors, and she figured out is was one of her prescriptions. Your problem might be something just as simple.

Because it is not a subject that needs to be discussed! :) Ya, lets drop the Speedo thing pretty quickly in life, but shorts? Never! Im 50 and haven't bought a pair of shorts that stops above my knees in 20 years. Classy golf shorts etc look fine. As far as that goes older women look fine in classy shorts also. Veracious veins? Who cares we aren't dressing to impress 20 somethings. If anyone is they will be disappointed no matter what they wear.

I finally had to quit snow skiing after breaking both legs 6 years ago. And I'm now banished from getting over 4' up any ladder since I have no more falls left in my legs.

And when I do manual labor outside on a hot day, 4 hours is my limit.

Otherwise, I'm more active than most other 65 year old men. I try to keep a little click in my step when walking, and avoid walking like a little old man--that I'm not.

Women probably all remember the first time they realized they could walk into a room without all conversation suddenly stopping whilst they were "appraised" like a piece of meat.

I certainly hope you've been to a doctor about the shaking. My wife also had some tremors, and she figured out is was one of her prescriptions. Your problem might be something just as simple.

I have been and will be seeing a neurologist at the end of the month. My PCP and I did discuss my prescriptions and I've pretty much been on the same ones for years, with one exception, and that one I started after the tremors began.

I agree. Who wants to wear long pants when it's 85 degrees and hotter? Anyone who doesn't like to see, can look away.

Because it is not a subject that needs to be discussed! :) Ya, lets drop the Speedo thing pretty quickly in life, but shorts? Never! Im 50 and haven't bought a pair of shorts that stops above my knees in 20 years. Classy golf shorts etc look fine. As far as that goes older women look fine in classy shorts also. Veracious veins? Who cares we aren't dressing to impress 20 somethings. If anyone is they will be disappointed no matter what they wear.

I agree. Who wants to wear long pants when it's 85 degrees and hotter? Anyone who doesn't like to see, can look away.

I'd rather be comfortable than fashionably correct!

Approaching 57 and I can relate to all these things. Two comments I'd like to add:

Several years ago DW & I wanted to get my 86 year old mother a power lift chair. Her doctor was adamantly against it. "Use it or lose it" were the doctors words. If Mom used the power chair she would lose the ability to get up from a regular chair. True words because as soon as she moved into a one level condo with elevator she could no longer go up or down stairs without help!

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but I really liked "Younger Next Year" by Chris Crowley & Henry Lodge MD. Common sense advice on keeping active, healthy & feeling good. (There is a separate version "Younger Next Year for Women", too).

Back
Top Bottom