Things we can't do anymore

I haven't been able to sit cross-legged ("indian-style") for a couple of decades now. I'm 57. I can get them crossed, but it's getting them uncrossed and straightening the legs afterwards that is the problem.

I know my hearing is going too. (Eyesight was never good even in grade school.)

Women probably all remember the first time they realized they could walk into a room without all conversation suddenly stopping whilst they were "appraised" like a piece of meat.

I never had that problem. Being physically unattractive has its advantages!

Things I can't do anymore:

Run. At all. Well, I can for a short distance, but my right knee will be in pain for days afterward. That's been that way for 25 years, was the first sign after I had surgery on it.

Mow the entire yard all at once. As recently as last year I could do that. It's about half an acre and I use a self-propelled walk-behind but there are a lot of hills. Now I split it into two days and I'm thinking about making it three.

Climb stairs two at a time. I remember reading that you can tell how old you are by what you take two at a time - stairs or pills. I'm in the latter category. I can still do it but then my knee complains for days.

Someone mentioned drinking a case of beer in one day. I haven't been able (or wanted) to do that for decades.

On the plus side, although I have some heart issues, they're relatively minor, at least for now. I hit the gym three or four times a week and work out for a bit over an hour. The staff has said I work hard at it and may want to slack off a bit. Kinda goes against the grain, but okay... I think.

And DW still thinks I'm the best thing that's ever going to happen to her!:dance:

LOL, went to the doctor yesterday because I've been having foot pain. found out I have arthritis in the foot!!!

Who the heck gets arthritis in their foot??

Only me.

getting old may suck but remember guys there is only one other alternative.
+2

and me also

Maybe Im the only one with this aged problem, but I remember in the younger years being able to stuff my face with a Big Mac and Fries and then go do some intense physical activity. Now after I have ate, I don't have the energy to do much until I digest it for an hour or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't walk into a bank and exchange a paper dollar for silver coins...

Can't buy a gallon of gasoline for less than 50 cents...

:LOL:
@79, am a relative youngster in our CCRC... Weight same as the day I retired, wear shorter shorts and still ride bikes and canoe, albeit not quite as far and not quite as fast. Could never run... swimming was my game. Long to go back for some more body boarding, but no complaints. Oh... can't stand, no-hands from the Lotus position any more... that was a point of honor until this year.
Arthritis? Sure! Who doesn't? One attack of gout 15years go.... aaargh! Worser than worse...

It's the brain... short term memory... Used to be smart... today, not so much...
More mistakes... as in speling or poor grammar, but overall, pretty happy with it all.

One of the things that helps, is that younger people tend to cut me a little slack, and the other day, a 50 year old, held the door for me at the mall.. :dance: and called me "sir"!

Life is good!

Ah, I am reminded of a lost ability that I sorely miss. That is being able to gorge on anything I want, and not gaining weight. Sigh...

Ah, I am reminded of a lost ability that I sorely miss. That is being able to gorge on anything I want, and not gaining weight. Sigh...

Ah, yes. One friend called me "the eternal stomach". Not anymore. Sigh.

Arthritic feet here, too. All of my retirement plans pretty much included being able to walk. Guess again. I did get a considerable amount of pain relief from changing the pattern of my shoe lacing. That should please the LBYM crowd. I need an ankle replacement, but the replacements were first performed in this country in 2007 and have a five year success rate of 65%, so I'm going to limp and let them experiment on other people for a few more years yet.

Bifocal contacts took a couple of weeks to get used to, but they are a heckuva lot better than looking for those readers all the time.

Attachments

• Sad.jpg
    Sad.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 32
"What we can't do anymore"

Instead of enumerating the long list of what we were able to do, let's count things that we can still........

+1,000.

Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it. ---Plato

The chronic pain from my cervical spine was my main reason for me to quit two years ago, and leaving work has allowed me to gain more control over the pain. I also had carpal tunnel and worked through it with exercises taught to me by an occupational therapist. Can't get past this shaking in my hands that has affected me this past year. I didn't get disability either and didn't even consider pursuing it. Probably should have.

About a year before I ER'd I saw a neurologist due to some shaking - almost more like spasms, primarily in my dominant hand. Scared the daylights out of me, it almost seemed like Parkinson's - I was somewhat relieved, but still surprised when the diagnosis was carpal tunnel. I previously had some symptoms of CT, and thought I was doing the right things to keep it from getting any worse but I was wrong. Ended up having surgery on both wrists, and am glad I did that. But like grandpa used to say, "Gettin' old is hell." And he made it to 92, so I guess he would have known!

I really don't mind older men in shorts. Doesn't bother me at all.

It's the topless senior men at the community pool I can't get past. That's why I swim in the evening during the summer. The neighborhood is mostly empty then, and few folks use the pool at dusk or later. And if someone does show up - well, it's kind of dark!

I am 54, and eyesight and balance are a minor issue. I am grateful for all of things I can still do, though, and ER has definitely helped. I see some people I worked with that are still working 2 years later, and to be honest, they look terrible.

I really don't mind older men in shorts. Doesn't bother me at all.

It's the topless senior men at the community pool I can't get past. That's why I swim in the evening during the summer. The neighborhood is mostly empty then, and few folks use the pool at dusk or later. And if someone does show up - well, it's kind of dark!

Tell them to drop a few pounds and shave the gray pelt off their chest and maybe it will be a bit more aesthetically pleasing to the eye! :)

Tell them to drop a few pounds and shave the gray pelt off their chest and maybe it will be a bit more aesthetically pleasing to the eye! :)

The gray pelt isn't so bad. I think my main problem is that half of the men look 10 months pregnant.

But I would never suggest they change anything. I just avoid the view.

I do find it funny to see a bunch of seniors floating around in the pool with their swim noodles. I keep looking for water wings.

Last edited:
LOL, went to the doctor yesterday because I've been having foot pain. found out I have arthritis in the foot!!!

Who the heck gets arthritis in their foot??

Only me.

getting old may suck but remember guys there is only one other alternative.

You aren't the only one!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old (insert nationality/ethnicity) saying "Don't complain about growing older as many are denied the opportunity".:cool:

I am the same weight as I was in high school so how come my body is not the same ?
Well, it's a common problem.

It's the same body masses, but they are, ahem, redistributed to different places.

Muscle weighs a lot more than fat, so there can be quite a difference in shape/clothes size for the same weight. More muscle makes you more compact.

Back
Top Bottom