Things we can't do anymore

Getting older stinks, and I'm only 58. I'm finding there are more and more things I'm having trouble doing or just plain can't do anymore. I do have issues with my cervical spine, arthritis and nerve damage. Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it. I'm barely able to write a check that is legible (I have to print slowly) and I've given up handwriting anything else because no one (including myself) can read it. I tried changing out the thermostat to a WiFi version, but couldn't manage the wires and small screws.
Anyone else finding it's harder or impossible to do simple activities earlier in life than they expected?

I have the shaky hands issue too. It's only in the mornings after my coffee. I cut back from 3 cups to 2 cups and started taking a Magnesium supplement. It has helped me a great deal. 60 years old and hit the gym four times per week. 1.5 hour walk each day. Feel great overall and am very thankful.

I aḿ realizing now how fortunate I was not to be very good at contact sports when I was younger. An alarming number (to me) of the starters on my high school and college football teams, particularly those who played the positions with contact on every down, are not in good shape. That was also the era of no water at practice, ignoring concussions, and easy access to various pills and steroids (many wanted to ¨bulk up"quickly), which I now see taking its physical and mental toll on some of them, leaving them unable to do things.

LOL, went to the doctor yesterday because I've been having foot pain. found out I have arthritis in the foot!!!

Who the heck gets arthritis in their foot??

Only me.

getting old may suck but remember guys there is only one other alternative.

And me. Foot arthritis, especially in the big toe joint, is very common.

Muscle weighs a lot more than fat, so there can be quite a difference in shape/clothes size for the same weight. More muscle makes you more compact.

The good news is that it's never too late to build muscle. The more one ages, the greater the benefits of weight training.

I really don't mind older men in shorts. Doesn't bother me at all.

It's the topless senior men at the community pool I can't get past...snip

In our 55 and older community with the big pool, this works both ways, except the older women keep their tops on (whew!). :D

Instead of a long list of things I can no longer do, here's what I've learned to do:
- Try to exercise every day, even if it's "just" yardwork or a long walk.
- Manage my level/duration of exertion so that I don't overdo it. Two sets of squats or lunges are just as good as three when done with intensity.
- Give myself a recovery day. Just one is good enough. Two is "lazy".
- Keep a racquetball by my reading chairs for working on grip strength.
- Log it. Nothing persuades me to exercise better than a blank exercise calendar... or reading obituaries of my college classmates.
- Coffee after workouts. The caffeine helps with muscle pain & recovery. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. But no caffeine after 3 PM.
- Lots of bright light for reading and fine vision, even going outdoors with small print. Backlit e-readers are essential. We just put a new ceiling light in our garage and whoa-- what an improvement.
- Ibuprofen after the exercise-- not before-- or I'll push too hard during the exercise. Ibuprofen again at bedtime so that I don't wake [-]my spouse[/-] myself up when I try to roll over.
- No alcohol. In fact, I probably should stop drinking liquids after 7 PM.

I'm also mulling over two new products to license to a major consumer-goods company for a huge fee:
- Chocolate-coated (sugar-free!) ibuprofen. You know those four-pound bags of chocolate chips that you can buy at Costco? Just do that with the ibuprofen pills, sell it on the aisle with the other painkillers, and it'll help me reduce my consumption of chocolate chips.
- Aspercreme hand soap. Pain relief is the first thing I reach for after washing my hands from yardwork or repairs, so why not massage in a dose of relief while I'm scrubbing away the dirt?

Have you tried a needle threader (picture below)? Probably you have, but if not it might possibly be somewhat helpful.
I spent the first four decades of my life finding those things in sewing kits, wondering what they were, and throwing them away to make space for more needles.

During my fifth decade it suddenly became very evident how those threaders are used...

Approaching 57 and I can relate to all these things. I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but I really liked "Younger Next Year" by Chris Crowley & Henry Lodge MD. Common sense advice on keeping active, healthy & feeling good. (There is a separate version "Younger Next Year for Women", too).
Every guy looking out for his best interests-- especially married guys-- should read the first couple chapters of the women's version of the book for their description of "Old Fred". If I ever meet Chris Crowley I'll have to administer an appropriate demonstration of my thanks for the stereotype he's foisted on us.

The "Old Fred" term has become verbal shorthand in our house for certain acquaintances of both genders.

- Coffee after workouts. The caffeine helps with muscle pain & recovery. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. But no caffeine after 3 PM.

Good list Nords, although I would suggest a cup of java before the workout and then a protein shake with a carb afterwards for recovery.

Getting older stinks, and I'm only 58. I'm finding there are more and more things I'm having trouble doing or just plain can't do anymore. I do have issues with my cervical spine, arthritis and nerve damage. Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it. I'm barely able to write a check that is legible (I have to print slowly) and I've given up handwriting anything else because no one (including myself) can read it. I tried changing out the thermostat to a WiFi version, but couldn't manage the wires and small screws.
Anyone else finding it's harder or impossible to doto a WiFi version, but couldn't manage the wires and small screws.
Anyone else finding it's harder or impossand "hurt so simple activities earlier in life than they expected?
As you can see by all the responses, you are not alone. Add me to the list too. Looking back, I started feeling the years in my early to mid 50's. When I was younger and "hurt something" it would seem to go away in a few days or maybe even weeks in some cases. Now, in my 60's, it takes months and months and somethings just don't seem to get better. Being a "Car-Guy", I can really relate to the Alan Jackson song "Work in Progress" when the says, "Oh, I need a major tune up. Maybe a full, body-off, restoration."

Last edited:
I can't work on a car with the hood open and engine running. Can't work on high power amplifiers while they are active. Really cautious about working with chain saws. Can't work amateur radio at the higher rated powers.

the pacemaker doesn't like high energy EM fields.

Most other things I can do... if I choose.

Anyone else finding it's harder or impossible to do simple activities earlier in life than they expected?

I was similar but not quite as challenged as you are at age 58. Then I found that I was a pre-diabetic and my Doc raised hell with me. I was heavy but not obese, didn't excercise much cause I worked hard and she told me I'd either change or wouldn't have to worry about it.....I wouldn't be here. So, I saw a dietician, bought a treadmill, gave up most sugar, all pie, cake and other bakery type sweets and added veggies, fish, chicken and fresh fruit to my diet. As time went on I found I was losing a little weight each year, my arthritis went away and I tested below the level of a pre diabetic. More important, I feel better, very seldom get the flu or a cold, love my treadmill and love veggies that are grilled, tasty and low fat. Rasberries are high fiber and part of my breakfast routine every day. I've been asked to provide recipes to a wellness class and best of all, I really do enjoy the 40 minutes I excercise each day.....7 days a week. Forgive me if you've already heard this on the blog but I haven't read the 1st 100 responses yet. I don't mean to preach and I know I am......good luck to you......yes, as years go by I can't do what I could but lifestyle has me living better than I could 10 years ago.

I was similar but not quite as challenged as you are at age 58. Then I found that I was a pre-diabetic and my Doc raised hell with me. I was heavy but not obese, didn't excercise much cause I worked hard and she told me I'd either change or wouldn't have to worry about it.....I wouldn't be here. So, I saw a dietician, bought a treadmill, gave up most sugar, all pie, cake and other bakery type sweets and added veggies, fish, chicken and fresh fruit to my diet. As time went on I found I was losing a little weight each year, my arthritis went away and I tested below the level of a pre diabetic. More important, I feel better, very seldom get the flu or a cold, love my treadmill and love veggies that are grilled, tasty and low fat. Rasberries are high fiber and part of my breakfast routine every day. I've been asked to provide recipes to a wellness class and best of all, I really do enjoy the 40 minutes I excercise each day.....7 days a week. Forgive me if you've already heard this on the blog but I haven't read the 1st 100 responses yet. I don't mean to preach and I know I am......good luck to you......yes, as years go by I can't do what I could but lifestyle has me living better than I could 10 years ago.

I had actually lost 40 pounds before all this started and my diet is good and is reflected in my blood work. Lifestyle is important to good long term health for certain. The problems with my cervical spine are a mystery to me since I can't point to any particular incident in my life that may have caused it. I've learned to manage it and life has been good. But this most recent issue of tremors has me worried and frustrated because it affects so many simple everyday activities. I'm sure I'll find a way to adjust,

Dash Man: Have you had an MRI done on your spine. I had foot tingling problems a couple years ago and needed a spinal fusion. So, if you've had a Doc check it.....so sorry for you, if not, you may have options to correct it......good luck!

Women probably all remember the first time they realized they could walk into a room without all conversation suddenly stopping whilst they were "appraised" like a piece of meat.

DW has mentioned on a couple of occasions how she always resented that but now somewhat misses it because of what that lack of attention implies!

Dash man, I thought I had a connection. First time I had issues I was rear ended, two days later I lost half my right arm function as the lovely pain kicked in. According to the neurosurgeon I'd had it since birth. His opinion was genetic or birthing issues.

My tremor did start right after another accident in 2000. My former PCP( doc moron) was unable to figure out the cause of the pain, even though I'd told him 5 times I had c-spine issues. :mad:
I rotted, at home for over 4 weeks before he finally sent me to pain management. First cervical epidural, was unbelievable relief(nerve root c6 c7).

My new PCP did send me out for an EMG that came back normal. I've never brought the tremor up with him. This thread has convinced me to discuss it with him.

Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it.
[...]
But this most recent issue of tremors has me worried and frustrated because it affects so many simple everyday activities. I'm sure I'll find a way to adjust,

Dashman, this does sound like cause for worry. I don't think most people who are just 58, like you, are having these problems. At least, I'm not, thank heavens. Am I just lucky? I don't know! But I'm pushing 67, and I can carry a cup of coffee at least 30 feet without spilling any. It sounds like something serious is going on in your case and needs to be checked out thoroughly by your doctor.

[...]

Dashman, this does sound like cause for worry. I don't think most people who are just 58, like you, are having these problems. At least, I'm not, thank heavens. Am I just lucky? I don't know! But I'm pushing 67, and I can carry a cup of coffee at least 30 feet without spilling any. It sounds like something serious is going on in your case and needs to be checked out thoroughly by your doctor.

I've already had a brain MRI that was clear and I'm seeing a neurologist at the end of the month. My PCP has been great. There are a variety of things it could be. Neurologists seem very difficult to get in to see in a timely manner.

Dash man, I thought I had a connection. First time I had issues I was rear ended, two days later I lost half my right arm function as the lovely pain kicked in. According to the neurosurgeon I'd had it since birth. His opinion was genetic or birthing issues.

My tremor did start right after another accident in 2000. My former PCP( doc moron) was unable to figure out the cause of the pain, even though I'd told him 5 times I had c-spine issues. :mad:
I rotted, at home for over 4 weeks before he finally sent me to pain management. First cervical epidural, was unbelievable relief(nerve root c6 c7).

My new PCP did send me out for an EMG that came back normal. I've never brought the tremor up with him. This thread has convinced me to discuss it with him.

Yes, cervical epidurals have become a regular part of my life, about three or four times per year. Physical therapy helps some too. A good pain management doctor is invaluable.

Although it may be viewed skeptically in the US, I had a friend that had nerve pain in the back that was helped by acupuncture. Might be worth a try.

Dash Man: Have you had an MRI done on your spine. I had foot tingling problems a couple years ago and needed a spinal fusion. So, if you've had a Doc check it.....so sorry for you, if not, you may have options to correct it......good luck!

Yes, I had two MRIs of my cervical spine done in 2006 which determined surgery wouldn't help much. I recently had a brain MRI that was clear. An EMG back in 2006 showed severe nerve damage in my neck (along with carpal tunnel that occupational therapy resolved). My tremors may be related to the nerve damage, so I'll be talking to the neurologist about that. I occasionally have radiculopathy and frequently experience dull aches and sharp pains in my neck or arm. Physical therapy, Vicodin, cervical epidurals and massage have become routine for pain management. The tremors are a recent challenge I haven't figured out yet. It's still great being retired early! :)

Reading the fine print is really a pain. Luckily I've been using the magnifying glass app on the cellphone which I am far likely to have handy than a pair of reading glasses.

Losing weight was never easy for me but since 50 it is a been really hard.

Plus of of course things like the back hurts more than it use to but compared with people with real back pains i consider myself lucky.

Read websites - including this one - without pressong Ctrl+ so that the text gets a little larger.

Thought I set the location setting for my user on this site. But no location is shown. I used to be the computer whiz at the office.

The good news is that it's never too late to build muscle. The more one ages, the greater the benefits of weight training.
I asked the gym manager at work yesterday about what I could do to improve, and he recommended I talk with him next week - sounded like he's going to start me on dead lifts and more :facepalm:. I was in awful shape at 40, started working out and am now in better shape than when I was 30 (I'm 52). Like WR said, its never to late to start.

As for what I can't do any more, the eyesight has definitely worsened, though that's to be expected working on computers for a living :(. And after blowing out my calf, I don't run or play softball any more, instead I am religiously using the cross-trainer in the gym now.

Women probably all remember the first time they realized they could walk into a room without all conversation suddenly stopping whilst they were "appraised" like a piece of meat.

Boy, howdy, is that ever true. Now, I am invisible. That's been tough, honestly. It was a useful "asset" when getting one's vehicle fixed, talking to contractors, job interviews, etc. Not bragging, just stating. It's all gone now.

I planted our tomato plants last night. When I was done, I decided that this was the last year I was doing that. My back hurt, my knees are swollen this morning, and it's just easier to go to the farmer's market on Saturday morning and buy them from the lovely Amish folk. Either that, or we'll have raised beds at our new, smaller home.

Back
Top Bottom