Do You Really Like to Travel?

Those are accents. If you go to England you'll notice an incredible range of accents after traveling relatively short distances compared to the US.

And then there are accents and dialects...the latter could possibly be more prominent in England.......and elsewhere.

....don't forget the Ottawa Valley twang!

The US Virgin Islands definitely has a local West Indian dialect. It's based on English but is very hard for mainlanders to understand.

Last edited:
The manager of a Jekyll Island, Ga, RV park once said to me, referring to a relative of his who had just entered the office, "I claim kin to her".

Possibly a throwback from 18th century English that has vanished elsewhere?

When we are travelling outside of North America the absolute last place we want to be in, or feel comfort in, is a US fast food chain. With one exception.

Only one possible exception to that.....using the restroom in a MacDonalds. At home the only one we bother with is MacDonalds. Only when we are on the road and only for a coffee or a soft drink. The food is awful.

Last edited:
The manager of a Jekyll Island, Ga, RV park once said to me, referring to a relative of his who had just entered the office, "I claim kin to her".

Possibly a throwback from 18th century English that has vanished elsewhere?

I hear this in the south. I think it's from their Scotch-Irish heritage. Kinship is still a modern English word.

I go along with Mark Tain's comments"
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime

Agree completely...

I thoroughly enjoy travel but not for more than a few weeks or month at a time (my family all lives within an hour of me -- kids & grandkids within walking distance & they've never had a non- relative babysit :) ).. mostly because I like to form my own opinions.

So when many were concerned about:

♤ Turkey's political situation, went there / talked to the guy on the street (reporters afraid)

♡ refugees in Central Europe (1 month × 3, cultural clash)

◇ when Ireland voting on LGBT rights (3 weeks -- they were afraid of being fired if someone outed them)

♧ South Korea (many regret war as it divided them and looking forward to reunification)

☆ few years back when England was looking into euthanasia

○ I mostly want their opinions so I can expand my horizons

I don't go for buildings (books), paintings (they all eventually come to DeYoung), food (vegetarian). And outside of my kids / grandkids, I'm a terrible traveling companion (will tolerate museums for only an hour). But love street musicians

Last edited:
Some of our best travel experiences and travel offers have been to countries that NA folks were avoiding.

Thailand during the red scarf issues, Greece during the financial crisis and so called Athens riots, Turkey for the reason of the day, France during the time that some people were upset at their Government, and London because of terrorist attacks. Some Europeans are reluctant to visit North America for several of those same reasons.

One can always find a reason not to visit a particular country (other than times of war and civil insurection). But there are so many more reasons as why one should go ahead and travel.

True. During the 3 years we lived in northern England, we heard from a number of people who were afraid to visit the U.S. because they might get shot. Frankly, after the events of the last 3-5 years, I am afraid of getting shot, myself.

S Some Europeans are reluctant to visit North America for several of those same reasons.

Absolutely. It was not that long ago when we were in the UK and reading newspaper articles advising Brits to avoid Miami because of the high crime/murder rates. I think that this was shortly after several British tourists were murdered in the Miami area.

Sometime it is difficult for us to understand how others view our respective countries.

I better like it considering the amount of money and time I put into it.

I used to covet many nice things when I was younger. Now that I have money and time for it, I no longer have any interest.

The other day, I got into an exchange on another forum about someone looking to buy $22,000 pair of speakers. I pointed out that more and more people value experiences over things.

He took umbrage at that, said that it would cost almost that much to take his family with 3 young children on a trip to Europe whereas those speakers would give him pleasure for over a decade.

But I didn't get his explanation and I'm sure other people may not get any attempts to explain why I enjoy travel and spend so much on it.

At first, I read this as a $22K pair of sneakers! I know some people get way in to footwear....

As for the speakers, though, the sky is the limit on audio equipment, and you do really get what you pay for (although you probably have to have ears like Superman to appreciate $22K speaker sound quality). The comparison with travel and "experiences" is apples to shoes.

I

The other day, I got into an exchange on another forum about someone looking to buy $22,000 pair of speakers. I pointed out that more and more people value experiences over things.

We are exactly the same.

Keep our vehicles for 15 years, usually buy 3 years old. We buy higher end, good furniture and keep it for years.

Travel...that is where the disposable income goes. So far, in the next six months we have 2 one week trips to Mexico coming up this month, 2 winter months in Thailand, Malaysia/Singapore, and the Philippines. Then an early May trip to China.

Working on an eight week trip in the fall. Two weeks visiting relatives in the east and then six weeks in Europe. Most likely either Croatia, Greece, and Turkey or Portugal, Spain, and southern France. Subject of course to any good travel offers that we snag to places on our respective bucket lists.

Each to their own. Cars and things and large homes don't really do it for us.

Last edited:

I like a nice home audio setup, but I'll never forget hearing Bach's organ music played in St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Passau Germany in all it's glorious baroque splendor. There's an experience I won't forget.

The only time I sit down to listen to home speakers is when watching TV and and the surround sound system.

If I listen to music at all, it's streamed from my iPhone to some wireless speakers. Or listen on earbuds when I'm away from the home.

I no longer need floor-standing speakers and sit in the middle for optimal sound stage and so forth.

I typically liked to travel no more than 3 weeks at a time. Then I discovered Thailand. After 3 month-long trips I decided to move here this year. Now I take 5-10 day trips around Southeast Asia. I am writing this from Siem Reap, Cambodia.

I took a wonderful trip to Myanmar last year which gives me some different perspective than what is seen in the US and international news.

I like a nice home audio setup, but I'll never forget hearing Bach's organ music played in St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Passau Germany in all it's glorious baroque splendor. There's an experience I won't forget.

No kidding!!! There is nothing like experiencing something like that live!

Back
Top Bottom