Do You Really Like to Travel?

No for international

God willing in a couple of years, when we come home to Texas after retiring - we will never get another stamp in our passports again.

I wish you good luck and that time there will go by quickly. I understand your frustration after my many years in oil & gas work all over the damn place. And in Nigeria, where I think you are, that is without a doubt, the cesspool of the world.

Also for me, no new stamps in my passport going forward, and my passport expired last year and is not being renewed. I'm all about continuing to visit places the great country we live in and I have already been in every state, some many times.

After retiring last year I'm just getting back into the travel mode. International is out as I celebrated the expiration of my passport. After full time travelling for decades it's a slow process. I'm not sure what category of the OP's post I fit into.
Part of it is utilitarian in that we fit in visit's with family and others of interest while visiting our favorite places.

I'm even giving in to DW's suggestion regarding a return to air travel. Pounding out the miles on road trips still hasn't regained any appeal. Dealing w/ TSA isn't any worse than the idiots you encounter along the road. Plus you get there faster at less cost.

The accommodations however must be top notch. Four star or above and I still must be able to walk to the nearest Piggly Wiggly and dive bars.

My travel criteria may and certainly will change as this ER adventure matures.

Arrived at the Athens airport at 1:00am for our flight back to Chicago at 5:00am, 24 hour open McDonald's was a life saver.

We typically go into a MacDonalds restaurant, at home or away for one of two reasons. Either to buy a coffee and orange juice, or to use the restroom.

I really think the challenge for some travelers is that for a very unexplained reason they think that the food and customs from their home should be available in other parts of the world. Not only that, they seem to look askance at those places and cultures that do things differently whether it be food, hotels, whatever. Very strange. Those are the people who should simply stay at home.

We meet people like that from time to time when traveling. They are typically not very happy, very critical of everything, and the world's biggest complainers. So we avoid them whenever possible.

Last edited:
To me one of the joys of traveling overseas is that the food and lodging and customs are different. I find it refreshing and interesting.

I actually find most restaurants and lodging in the US quite boring - especially on road trips. It's been a while since I've lived in a US city with a wide variety of ethnic eateries or other interesting eateries to choose from.

And shopping malls and strips, grocery stores, and lodging seem very homogeneous across the US.

We meet people like that from time to time when traveling. They are typically not very happy, very critical of everything, and the world's biggest complainers. So we avoid them whenever possible.

On my most recent trip I flew from Iceland to a little subsistence hunting/fishing village in Greenland for a one-day tour. I'd eaten a light breakfast and the little downtown airport (RKV, not KEF) had nothing but candy and chips for sale. No food on the 80-minute flight. Same offerings at KUS (Kulusuk). I passed- empty calories don't do it for me and I did have a couple of Costco protein bars. By lunch time, after scrambling up and down a few hills and glaciers, I was famished. We stopped at a small grocery store that was mostly for the locals- very little ready-to-eat food. I found a can of tuna imported from Thailand (with a pull tab) and a loaf of fresh bread. The price was in Danish Kroner and since my SIM card didn't work in Greenland and there was no Wi-Fi, my FX app was useless. It turned out to be about $9.50. One of the best meals on my trip mostly because I was famished and it really hit the spot.

I can see how a complainer could turn that into a real tale of woe, but it was a beautiful day in Greenland. That day was one of the highlights of my trip.

audreyh1...could not agree with you more.

Most especially the restaurants!

My sister's comment about Oceania Cruise Lines was she did not like Jacques Pepin style food. I flat out said to her, you do not know what good food is":LOL:
My dear BIL has to find a burger king for her any time they were in Europe!

There were two Mc Donald's in central Rome when I lived there. Both were jam packed with locals--kids, mainly. One had one of the best addresses in town, directly across from the Pantheon (that one has now closed). They came in handy for bathroom stops.

A Starbucks opened awhile back on the main tourist street, Kartnerstrasse, in Vienna. It has some of the comfiest seating areas in front of big glass windows for people watching. It also had reliable wifi before many places did. I'll confess that I spent some relaxing time there! Prices sure beat the expensive Viennese traditional coffee shops, you don't have the haughty waiters, and you get a big American cup. Sometimes you need comfort and convienence when you are abroad. It can be exhausting otherwise.

Are you saying there is no comfort and convenience abroad if you can't find a US chain establishment?

I think the preceding discussion demonstrates the need for familiarity that many people have when overwhelmed. Myself, I do not see a visit to McDonalds or Starbucks as comforting or relaxing in any way. I am far more likely to venture into a French brasserie or an Italian trattoria. But to each his or her own.

I think the preceding discussion demonstrates the need for familiarity that many people have when overwhelmed. Myself, I do not see a visit to McDonalds or Starbucks as comforting or relaxing in any way. I am far more likely to venture into a French brasserie or an Italian trattoria. But to each his or her own.

Agree. Can’t remember the last time I went into a McD or Starbucks other than for a washroom. They are excellent for that.

Same here.

When I'm really worn out I find returning to the hotel room exactly what I need to relax and recuperate. Especially if I've picked up some wine and nibbles to enjoy there. ;)

Ice cream break often does it too. Usually readily available.

I now have the time to travel and I have a bucket list of places. And, so far, I have no desire to travel to them. This year I went to opposite sides of the country, but only to see family and friends. Like others the mechanics are a big turnoff.

I am 62 and I know that this is the best time to travel while I am "young". But the bug just isn't in me yet...

Same here.

When I'm really worn out I find returning to the hotel room exactly what I need to relax and recuperate. Especially if I've picked up some wine and nibbles to enjoy there. ;)

Ice cream break often does it too. Usually readily available.
We also look forward to our wine and cheese break back in the room. The one thing we often miss is the ice in the minibar. So G&T has to wait until we get out.

We also have to carry good wine glasses because sometimes they just provide short glasses or even plastic! We have had some fabulous rooms with centuries old beams in the room.

I enjoy traveling as a way to take a break from home life and my home town, typically to see friends/family or to see something specific. I'm not an open book and wish to go everywhere, see and experience everything out there. There are certain things I want to see and many other things I have no interest in. I don't have a deep interest in learning or absorbing other cultures, it's nice to observe though, and I don't expect to gain some worldly view or enlightenment from my travels. I know of some well-traveled people that are very narrow-minded, and people who have never left their hometown who are the most open-minded and accepting individuals. While I don't mind spending the money to travel, I also want to get good value and pay for something I want, therefore I try to think hard about what it is I want to see/do and how much I'm willing to pay to do so, and to make sure that it's what I want and not what someone else is telling me I should want.

What I don't understand are the American travelers who insist on eating at McDonalds and doing other "American" things when they travel outside the US. If they insist that the whole world be like their hometown, they shouldn't waste their money on travel. (DW watches "House Hunters International", and the number of people on the show who want American-style houses and furnishings is depressing.)

When DW and I travel, we delight in local cuisine, transport and lodging. Often it is superior to what we have at home.

I completely agree and find it hard to understand why people want everything to be like it is back home. That's one reason we prefer VRBO or airbnb to a hotel. If we do choose a hotel, we go with a local boutique hotel, never a big American chain in a foreign country.

I am really enjoying this conversation and all the different perspectives. I think travel (esp overseas) is something that you enjoy or you don't, just like any other hobby or interest (lots of people have hobbies, collections and interests that don't interest me at all), which is just fine. Everyone should do what they enjoy, and not everyone enjoys travel. It sounds like alot of people that moved around alot as kids, or traveled nonstop for work no longer see the attraction. Understandable burnout.

DH and I luckily both really enjoy traveling, which is a good thing, since we ER'd and sold our house 2 years ago to go and see the world at our own pace, how and where we want with no set agenda, schedule, or deadlines. We vacationed when working, two 2-week trips a year, but this is so different: fun, invigorating, interesting, eye-opening, even relaxing, and oh yeah, did I say Fun? We feel like kids again! We have met some incredible people, and learned alot about some fascinating places. You do grow more confident in meeting the occasional challenges, and we have always enjoyed learning about history and different cultures and such, so this is truly living the dream for us. If we tried to plan everything out ahead of time, it would feel like one of our vacations when we worked. It is nothing like that. We now have the luxury of time.

We had this dream and plan for years before ER, our friends and family were supportive, but many of them expressed that it was not their cup of tea, like some folks here. That is fine, and I firmly believe there is nothing wrong with any choice about how we spend our time, especially if we are happy.

To suggest that we travel because of ads or being told it is the 'in' thing to do is sort of insulting since it has been our dream for years, but it may be true for some that take an
occasional unwanted trip because of peer pressure or something. I accept that many people are perfectly happy staying close to home. That is not what I want right now, though. Life is short, we are getting older, and we want to see as much of our ever-growing list while we still are able (we don't really have a list!). It is not a contest, it is just having the luxury to finally live our dream (why we saved hard to ER), until we grow weary of it, which I am sure we will one day.

At some point we will be ready to settle down again, but we think we will still want to travel, maybe just less often and more comfortably as we get older. Sone have mentioned that as they cage, and I agree. For now, as some others mentioned, it is such a treat to get a one-way ticket to somewhere in the world that intrigues us each January (after visiting family for the holidays) and take off again for another year playing it by ear as we go. We feel like the world is our oyster, and for now we are having a blast. I completely understand it is not for everyone, but it is for us right now. I think it is that simple.

You are living my fantasy. My obstacles are that we don't want to sell our beachfront So CA condo, although we are willing to put our things in storage for a few years and rent it out. The bigger obstacle is our dog. I can't imagine being away more that a month or two and he's only 7 years old, so I think our dream of open-ended travel will have to wait. We did take him on a 3-month trip with us this year, but that wouldn't be practical for many destinations.

To me one of the joys of traveling overseas is that the food and lodging and customs are different. I find it refreshing and interesting.

I actually find most restaurants and lodging in the US quite boring - especially on road trips. It's been a while since I've lived in a US city with a wide variety of ethnic eateries or other interesting eateries to choose from.

And shopping malls and strips, grocery stores, and lodging seem very homogeneous across the US.

We always use Yelp to find local non-chain restaurants so we can try something more authentic. Really try to avoid chain restaurants even at home.

We also look forward to our wine and cheese break back in the room. The one thing we often miss is the ice in the minibar. So G&T has to wait until we get out.

We also have to carry good wine glasses because sometimes they just provide short glasses or even plastic! We have had some fabulous rooms with centuries old beams in the room.

We bought wine glasses last time we traveled in France (Provence) and used them all the way to Barcelona where we left them behind. I always carry a bottle opener in my overnight kit.

In Nice we bought an inexpensive folding wine bucket and (miracles!!) the small grocery close to the hotel sold bags of ice, so we were able to quickly chill the local Rosé.

We had lots of cheese tucked into those hotel minibar fridges. Between Avignon and Nice there were so many awesome markets to buy spreads, olives, cheese, charcuterie, breads etc. - we skipped quite a few dinners!!!

We bought wine glasses last time we traveled in France (Provence) and used them all the way to Barcelona where we left them behind. I always carry a bottle opener in my overnight kit.

In Nice we bought an inexpensive folding wine bucket and (miracles!!) the small grocery close to the hotel sold bags of ice, so we were able to quickly chill the local Rosé.

We had lots of cheese tucked into those hotel minibar fridges. Between Avignon and Nice there were so many awesome markets to buy spreads, olives, cheese, charcuterie, breads etc. - we skipped quite a few dinners!!!
Yes we often had a tuck-in in late afternoon and satisfied ourselves with wine cheese and bread in the room. Breakfast was yogurt fruit and more cheese. Lost ten pounds during the month there.

In Italy we will go into a store and buy wine. I typically go to the back by the deli and hold up two bottles of red. Invariably the clerk will either point to one or take us back to the shelf and recommend another. So far so good.

One small grocery store in Rome, just off P. Navona would refill wine bottles from a large barrel that came from a relatives farm. Lots of these in Venice-mostly in the residential areas a little way from the main tourist routes.

A caveat...if you are in Rome, and if you select the house wine, as we usually do. the waiter may suggest some other local favourite. Be absolutely certain to ask the price. Don't be shy. Most tourists won't ask and the waiter knows this. It is often a bit of a con game to increase the bill.

Last edited:
IMG_0993.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    308.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Having done my share of business travel, the glamour of travel is no longer appealing to me.

The security implemented post 9/11 has made travel more time consuming and grueling. I have TSA Pre-check and that only improves the experience marginally.

The "quality" of air travel has also degraded significantly -- unless you are in first class or flying a foreign carrier.

A couple of years ago, I flew to Europe on a mixed route: Delta on the way there; Lufthansa on the way back. The contrast was remarkable. Delta's flight attendants must have been trained by prison guards. :yuk:

Back
Top Bottom