Mardi Gras on a budget?

aaronc879

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm thinking about going down to Florida for Feb. and Mar. and may take a detour to New Orleans for Mardi Gras Feb. 9-12. I would only do it if I could do it far basically no additional cost other than extra gas. There's a 24 hour gym that i'm a member of about 1.5 miles from Canal St. I could park my car there. I could shower there and sleep in my car. I'd have to walk at night by myself 1.5 miles from French Quarter to the gym then sleep in my car in a parking lot. Crazy?

I'm thinking about going down to Florida for Feb. and Mar. and may take a detour to New Orleans for Mardi Gras Feb. 9-12. I would only do it if I could do it far basically no additional cost other than extra gas. There's a 24 hour gym that i'm a member of about 1.5 miles from Canal St. I could park my car there. I could shower there and sleep in my car. I'd have to walk at night by myself 1.5 miles from French Quarter to the gym then sleep in my car in a parking lot. Crazy?
Sounds crazy to me, as does sleeping in your car. New Orleans is the only place where I have been unequivocally menaced on the street, since I graduated high school. I was lucky to escapoe unharmed, and I am not a stranger to big city hazards.

Ha

Sounds crazy to me, as does sleeping in your car. New Orleans is the only place where I have been unequivocally menaced on the street, since I graduated high school. I was lucky to escapoe unharmed, and I am not a stranger to big city hazards.

Ha

Does the fact that i'm a 6'6 1/2", 33 year old male, make it any less crazy? I wouldn't think i'd be the ideal target for crime. As for sleeping in my car, i'd be doing that every night for the 2 month trip. I'd be doing it in safer places than New Orleans though most of the time. Hotels are too expensive for me. It's either sleep in my car when on vacation or not go on vacation and stay home all day every day which gets old after a while

I wouldn't risk it. When I lived in Baton Rouge a friend's son and his mate were robbed at gunpoint one night when they drifted a couple of streets away from the French Quarter. His son was a very fit young man in his 20's, and I assume his mate was of similar age and build. Guns are a great leveler to size and athleticism.

If you wait until St Pats Day, you may score some free cabbage, potatoes, or moonpies. That would help with expenses.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez

I wouldn't risk it. When I lived in Baton Rouge a friend's son and his mate were robbed at gunpoint one night when they drifted a couple of streets away from the French Quarter. His son was a very fit young man in his 20's, and I assume his mate was of similar age and build. Guns are a great leveler to size and athleticism.

So, wouldn't the problem be fixed by staying in crowded areas around the French Quarter? Then maybe I could find a cab when I wanted to go back to the car for the night.

Maybe I should just go one night? Anyone know if it's better(as in more fun) to go on Saturday night or on the last night-Fat Tuesday? Anyone know of a closer and/or safer place I could park my car?

Mardi Gras, and New Orleans in general, are on my bucket list so i'd like to at least go for 1 day.

Staying in your car sounds crazy to me. We stayed in a French qtr hotel and that was crazy enough. Your size will not be a deterrent to crime.

So, wouldn't the problem be fixed by staying in crowded areas around the French Quarter? Then maybe I could find a cab when I wanted to go back to the car for the night.

Yes, I've done this in the past.

How difficult is it to find a cab? Do you have to call for one or are they lining the streets during Mardi Gras.

How difficult is it to find a cab? Do you have to call for one or are they lining the streets during Mardi Gras.

Getting a cab back is easy from the French Quarter where there are taxi rank(s). Going in we used the shuttle bus of the hotel we were staying in.

Does the fact that i'm a 6'6 1/2", 33 year old male, make it any less crazy?
Well, perhaps. As I am a 4'11" woman, I wouldn't know. It will help even more if you are bullet proof and knife proof.

The way these things work is that attacks are not common. So regardless how dumb is the thing you plan, it is likely not to lead to injury when done only once.

It's like FIRECALC, how safe do you want to be?

Ha

why do you plan on sleeping? Do they shut down at all during Mardi Gras?

why do you plan on sleeping? Do they shut down at all during Mardi Gras?

Sleeping is a physical necessity. I don't have to get 8 hours but I need to at least catch a nap for a couple hours. I'll probably sleep a few hours around sunrise.

Ha

I agree 100%. It is very commonplace for guys much bigger than you (Aaron) to disappear when walking alone, and either they are never seen again or their bodies are dumped someplace remote and eerie like Bayou Sauvage. This sort of thing doesn't even hit the front pages any more.

Be careful even in crowded areas in the French Quarter. Just make sure you don't get caught in the crossfire if any trouble erupts. Halloween shootings leave 2 dead, 14 hurt, city reeling | NOLA.com
http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/02/two_people_shot_on_st_charles.html

The Quarter should be absolutely swarming with police, but unfortunately that often just isn't enough.

We usually see the parades out in Metairie, instead. These are family oriented, much safer, but the floats are not as big. There is no baring of breasts and not much drinking out in Metairie, since most of the tourists prefer the parades closer to the French Quarter.

Cabs are easy to hail in the French Quarter, or you could call one on your cell phone. Shouldn't have any problem with that.

Last edited:
Went on a bus trip with my elderly step-father a while back. They warned us to not venture far from the French Quarter. We had a horrible sense of direction and was walking the wrong way. It did not take long to figure this out and we turned and walked as quickly as we could. We woke up to gunshots during the night and found out the next day, that a person had been killed not far away. Walking to breakfast, we came upon a group of people watching 2 people walking up and down an alley. One man looked normal and was trying his best to escape what appeared to me to be a mentally disturbed man, who was keeping him in the alley. The police showed up quickly and took the mentally disturbed man away. I was so relieved that it had ended without an altercation. I would never sleep in my car in New Orleans. I am not sure if I would ever go back to New Orleans (which I did like) without my DH with me.

I agree 100%. It is very commonplace for guys much bigger than you (Aaron) to disappear when walking alone, and either they are never seen again or their bodies are dumped someplace remote and eerie like Bayou Sauvage. This sort of thing doesn't even hit the front pages any more.

Be careful even in crowded areas in the French Quarter. Just make sure you don't get caught in the crossfire if any trouble erupts. Halloween shootings leave 2 dead, 14 hurt, city reeling | NOLA.com
Motive unclear in Mardi Gras shooting on St. Charles Avenue parade route | NOLA.com

The Quarter should be absolutely swarming with police, but unfortunately that often just isn't enough.

We usually see the parades out in Metairie, instead. These are family oriented, much safer, but the floats are not as big. There is no baring of breasts and not much drinking out in Metairie, since most of the tourists prefer the parades closer to the French Quarter.

Cabs are easy to hail in the French Quarter, or you could call one on your cell phone. Shouldn't have any problem with that.

W2R, you being from NO you have the best "insider" knowledge. Lets say I was going to arrive on Saturday early afternoon. Where would be a relatively safe place to park(not sleep in) my car without getting a hotel? It could be as far away as Metairie. I could take a taxi to a parade then later to the Quarter then another taxi back to the car. Then I could drive to gym to wash up and change cloths then drive out of town. No sleeping in my car in the city.

Is there any safe place I can park? What about a hospital parking lot?

W2R, you being from NO you have the best "insider" knowledge. Lets say I was going to arrive on Saturday early afternoon. Where would be a relatively safe place to park(not sleep in) my car without getting a hotel? It could be as far away as Metairie. I could take a taxi to a parade then later to the Quarter then another taxi back to the car. Then I could drive to gym to wash up and change cloths then drive out of town. No sleeping in my car in the city.

When I've flown there, before moving to Baton Rouge, I used to get a cab from the airport to downtown. The airport is at Kenner, close to Metaire, so I would feel confident that you could drive to the airport and park up in one of their long term car parks as if you were flying out, then simply catch a cab from the terminal building to downtown.

I have not ever parked my car overnight here, except in my driveway. Would they tow it away if you parked at one of the big malls out in Metairie or Kenner? You could park it at the airport safely enough, and I used to do that when traveling, but there is a fee. I am as perplexed as you on this one, Aaron.

Edited to add: Alan, our thoughts were the same.

I have not ever parked my car overnight here, except in my driveway.

That sounds like a good option:LOL:

Looks like the airport costs about $10 for 24 hours then the taxi to the FQ and back. I guess there's not really a CHEAP alternative to a hotel just a "cheap-er" alternative. I guess it could be worth it.

I have not ever parked my car overnight here, except in my driveway. Would they tow it away if you parked at one of the big malls out in Metairie or Kenner? You could park it at the airport safely enough, and I used to do that when traveling, but there is a fee. I am as perplexed as you on this one, Aaron.

Edited to add: Alan, our thoughts were the same.

What about the 24-hr Walmart 3-4 miles east of the French Quarter on W Judge Perez Dr? A car being parked there overnight wouldn't seem out of place and it's legal to park at walmart overnight. It's free but is it safe?

Personally, I wouldn't park there. Besides, it is further than it seems, clear on the other side of the Lower Ninth Ward. There is a drawbridge over the canal involved.

Last edited:
I like Alan's suggestion about parking at the airport. When I went back to the airport, I would go inside and sleep for the couple of hours. There are always people sleeping at the airport and there is security around.

I like Alan's suggestion about parking at the airport. When I went back to the airport, I would go inside and sleep for the couple of hours. There are always people sleeping at the airport and there is security around.

Also, there are lots of cabs there. Cabs charge a uniform (set, non-metered) fee from the airport to the French Quarter, I think maybe $28? $30? I am sure it has gone up in recent years with the gas prices. Maybe there are shuttles?

That sounds like a good option:LOL:

Looks like the airport costs about $10 for 24 hours then the taxi to the FQ and back. I guess there's not really a CHEAP alternative to a hotel just a "cheap-er" alternative. I guess it could be worth it.
Partly depends on what you usually pay to see bare breasts. What do they cost in your hometown?

Ha

Back
Top Bottom