Need Chef Knife for Travel .........

Re sharpeners, I just bought one of these: https://www.worksharptools.com/guided-field-sharpener.html because they had a special for KC BBQ Society members. Five bucks off or something.

It's quite a versatile device, from a coarse stone to an Arkansas stone wannabe ceramic rod. It's pretty compact. It will never replace my collection of larger stones but tossed in a kitchen drawer it is handy to touch up a knife that is beyond the steel's capability. It would be good for travel, not weighing much, and much more capable than any of those "maginc wonder sharpener" gadgets that are sold everywherel.

Quick and simple: take a piece of cardboard from a box of cereal or crackers, fold it over, tape it closed. Makes a nice sheath to protect your knife's blade.

Thanks for this post, OP. We have had the same issue and have been relatively unsuccessful finding a decent knife we could buy at our destination. When we do road trips, we bring a few of ours, but air travel needs a different solution.

I use a large Opinel (#12) as a travel chef's knife. It's cheap enough that I won't mind if it gets lost or stolen, and it folds so there is no need for a sheath. They come with steel or carbon steel blades.

Back
Top Bottom