TSA Agents Calling in Sick During Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

mexexpat

Recycles dryer sheets
This story recently reported on news.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/shutdown-tsa-screening/index.html
Hundreds of Transportation Security Administration officers, who are required to work without paychecks through the partial government shutdown, have called out from work this week from at least four major airports, according to two senior agency officials and three TSA employee union officials.

The mass call outs could inevitably mean air travel is less secure, especially as the shutdown enters its second week with no clear end to the political stalemate in sight.

"This will definitely affect the flying public who we (are) sworn to protect," Hydrick Thomas, president of the national TSA employee union, told CNN.
At New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, as many as 170 TSA employees have called out each day this week, Thomas tells CNN. Officers from a morning shift were required to work extra hours to cover the gaps.
Call outs have increased by 200%-300% at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, where typically 25 to 30 TSA employees call out from an average shift according to a local TSA official familiar with the situation.

Union officials stress that the absences are not part of an organized action, but believe the number of people calling out will likely increase.

Last edited:
Flew out of Boston to Fort Lauderdale this morning.
No problems, shorter than normal line, nothing seemed out of ordinary. Didn't know TSA was part of the shutdown but couldn't tell from what we saw.

I would as well. If I've sick days accrued and I'm not getting paid - I'm home.

While I detest the "security theater" aspect of the TSA, I try to thank the security staff for doing a thankless and ineffective job. If you choose to see real security, wander towards the El Al gate at NWR as I did several years ago.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-fails-tests-latest-undercover-operation-us-airports/story?id=51022188

TSA = Thousands Standing Around

I'm not normally very sympathetic to public employees striking, but in this case if they aren't getting paid. I don't blame them a bit for calling in sick.

I hope that ATC starts calling in sick also, but they better make sure to go on the blue flu when Congress in a town. If they congress critter can't go home and their big donors are screaming at them to do something I think we will see some action.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...58c33d6c8c7_story.html?utm_term=.12a1406db90d

I'm not normally very sympathetic to public employees striking, but in this case if they aren't getting paid. I don't blame them a bit for calling in sick. ...
But as I understand it, they do get paid. I believe it has always been reimbursed. Yes, having pay delayed is a hardship, but with these budget issues coming up so often, they really ought to accept it as part of the job description, or find work elsewhere (and hope it is more secure?).

This isn't new. If my MegaCorp was known for 'shutting down' our semi-monthly checks every few years, you better believe I'd either decide to keep that job and plan for the shutdowns, or look for another job.

-ERD50

I would as well. If I've sick days accrued and I'm not getting paid - I'm home.

While I detest the "security theater" aspect of the TSA, I try to thank the security staff for doing a thankless and ineffective job. If you choose to see real security, wander towards the El Al gate at NWR as I did several years ago.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-fails-tests-latest-undercover-operation-us-airports/story?id=51022188

TSA = Thousands Standing Around

I will forever think that TSA stands for something else: http://wiki.southpark.cc.com/wiki/Toilet_Safety_Administration_(TSA)

But as I understand it, they do get paid. I believe it has always been reimbursed. Yes, having pay delayed is a hardship, but with these budget issues coming up so often, they really ought to accept it as part of the job description, or find work elsewhere (and hope it is more secure?).

-ERD50

There are no guarantees that congress will approve back pay. and if the current employees quit, who would take a job with an IOU for payment?

This isn't new. If my MegaCorp was known for 'shutting down' our semi-monthly checks every few years, you better believe I'd either decide to keep that job and plan for the shutdowns, or look for another job.

-ERD50

Yes, historically they have always gotten back pay, but there is no guarantee they will this time especially with this President who seems both clueless about the impact and not very empathetic.

What they don't get reimbursed for is late penalties, interest, or any other expenses associated with living paycheck to paycheck. I'm not super sympathetic to a government worker with generally above average pay and reliable hours not being able to survive a single late paycheck. But once it goes beyond one paycheck. I certainly don't blame them for calling in sick to drive for Uber, or avoid having to pay the cost of childcare etc.

I'll admit this article surprised me on the number of things that were being impacted by the shutdown.

Back pay is guaranteed. Never in any of the previous shut downs has any federal employee lost a dime. Instead, they are given paid 'vacations' with the only caveat being is their pay is delayed. I'd take that deal any time!

I remember when the ungrateful air traffic controllers struck and Regan fired them all. They deserved it.

If a federal employee doesn't appreciate that their job is tantamount to winning a lottery with the light work loads, significant pay, pensions, paid vacations, sick leave, full medical and in many cases housing offset costs, and a whole lot of other perks, then step aside and let someone else take over your job and find something better.

What these workers choosing to bail by falsifying sick leave (an offense that can get a person fired BTW) ought to be doing is pitching in and giving a crap about their job, working for the delayed pay they'll be getting and showing the citizens they serve that they appreciate their role as a public servant. I hear how those who work to protect parks, for example, let trash build up instead of stepping in and lending a hand. All that tells me is that they only care about one thing; their almighty pay check, and not later, NOW or the parks can just go to hell!

Geez! The ungratefulness of the government workers doing these shameful acts; calling in sick when they aren't and letting the stewardship of being a public servant fall into filth and squalor. Reminds me of renters who are aren't willing to keep their own living quarters clean enough to prevent cock roaches or the toilet from overflowing and blaming the evil landlord.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting discussion. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom