Join Early Retirement Today

Do you stream music?
Old 08-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you stream music?

I have always worked out of my home. I have been streaming Pandora in my home office and patio since forever it seems.

You?

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We use a Shoutcast Radio player app to stream music from tens of thousands of stations around the world.

Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Classical Utube concerts on computer when I'm awake.... and for sleep, classical from wherever... Echo show.

Habit from long ago... when the music was all on LP's . Hated music when I studied it in college (very difficult parsing symphonies in the music lab), but so thankful now.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

I use Jango. It's like Pandora, but free and no ads. It's supported by musicians that want us to try their music.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #5

Just Youtube.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #6

We use Pandora. In DW's car it is paired with the Bluetooth to use the car's Bose sound system. At home we use our smartphones, which have a surprising good sound and volume. The are connected to our WiFi, so no data charges.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #7

I was a very early adopter of Pandora but gave up on it with the advent of commercials. I use Prime Music and SiriusXM on the phone at the gym. I got Sirius when I bought a new vehicle two years ago and I really like it and donít mind the $20 monthly subscription. Local radio just stinks.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #8

Iíve gotten to really like Venice Classic (Internet) radio. Itís a great station for morning music over coffee/breakfast. Iím not sure if that qualifies as streaming.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I was a very early adopter of Pandora but gave up on it with the advent of commercials. I use Prime Music and SiriusXM on the phone at the gym. I got Sirius when I bought a new vehicle two years ago and I really like it and don’t mind the $20 monthly subscription. Local radio just stinks.
You're overpaying for Sirius. I get mine for $5.95 a month on a 6 month 'trial' basis; then when the trial expires I call them to cancel. They then send me to their 'customer retention' group who offers me another trial price. Rinse and repeat. They actually ask me how much I want to pay and I tell them 'what I'm paying now' and they say 'ok'.

Been doing this for about 10 years now. DW does the same thing.

FWIW, I pay a small subscription to Pandora and there's no commercials.

Having said that, I use a quiet little station called "Groovera". It's 100% chill music (Buddha Bar type stuff), very laid back and some of it quite beautiful. Subscription only.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
You're overpaying for Sirius. I get mine for $5.95 a month on a 6 month 'trial' basis; then when the trial expires I call them to cancel. They then send me to their 'customer retention' group who offers me another trial price. Rinse and repeat. They actually ask me how much I want to pay and I tell them 'what I'm paying now' and they say 'ok'.
I do this too. You get the app now included, and this has Howard, and all the channels (the select package or something. I've been doing this for several years. Call them tomorrow!
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Pandora on my Android phone, cast to a number of Google Chromecast Audio devices throughout my home: one connected to a receiver in my livingroom, the rest in all the other rooms connected to powered computer speakers I accumulated over the years. Whole-home audio, or selectively in zones I set up. Especially useful when doing various chores around the home.

*Edited for clarity
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Been doing this for about 10 years now. DW does the same thing.
I did the same thing, but only for about a year and a half.

I got tired of doing the same ďdanceĒ every 5 months, so the next time it came up for renewal, I said I wanted to renew for a year. They said they would only agree to extend for 5 months at a time. I said it was too much hassle and unless they agreed to a year, Iíd cancel. They wouldnít budge and so I cancelled.

I stream Spotify at home and in the car and rarely played Sirius anyway, so it was no great loss.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Sirius for years. Love it. I have it in my shop and listen to it everyday.
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #14

Sirius for over a decade. Currently 3 cars and mobile devices.

The fiance' likes Pandora, and that may be the future for my 200+GB iTunes library
Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 PM   #15

I use an old program called "RadioSure" to stream a variety of free internet radio stations on my computer.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:08 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

at home, not as a rule. every now and then we'll watch old music videos on youtube. we have S/XM in all our vehicles and listen to 60's, 70's, 80's (no good R&R after about 1985 though, all the country music stations especially Y2Kountry.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:12 PM   #17

just signed up for Spotify to stream my Sonos speakers on the patio. Good so far. Neighbors are going to get tired of Jim Buffet though

3 month trial subscription. I see most here are Pandora. I heard Pandora is better if you already have a playlist. Spotify better if you want new (to you) music
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:17 AM   #18

I use Amazon Music Unlimited and am in the middle of a three-month free trial of Apple Music that I started when I bought an Apple Watch. The watch only works with Apple Music, so Iíll be cancelling the Amazon subscription and linking my Echoes to my Apple Music account.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:00 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I like a mix of music and can never remember enough to compose my own playlists so I stream Radio Paradise. RP streams an eclectic mix of:

"many styles and genres of music, carefully selected and mixed by two real human beings. You'll hear modern and classic rock, world music, electronica, even a bit of classical and jazz. What you won't hear are random computer-generated playlists or mind-numbing commercials."

It's been hosted by two DJs since 1996. They add new pieces to the lineup by vetting them with listeners on their beta stream. I keep about 1000 RP MP3s I ripped on my phone for listening off line. Their new IOS app lets you download a few hours or more for listening to the current lineup offline. I like them enough that I periodically contribute $ to their effort.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Amazon music app on Roku.
Spotify on PC and Google home mini that it came with for free.
I prefer Spotify. Playlists they put together are decent. Voice commands are nice.

target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote