iPhone X

Katsmeow

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I got my new iPhone X on Friday and thought I would post for the benefit of any pondering whether to get it. (This is not for those of you who never in a million years would even consider getting the phone).

I have to say that I already love this phone and it is just a huge improvement over what I thought was a really good iPhone 7 plus. I didn't expect it to be such an improvement.

And, yes, I know how expensive it is. We do the Apple Upgrade program so upgrading for us is simply turning in the old phone. Yes, we have to pay every month for the new phone (For those who don't know, basically you pay for it over 2 years and then don't owe any more. Or after a year you can simply trade in for the new phone). But, for those who like to upgrade this works well. Before I had upgraded on a 2 year cycle usually, now I can do it annually.

Anyway - things I really like about the phone:

1. The size - I had never been happy with the 7 or the 7 plus. I felt the 7 was too small and lacked some of the features of the 7 plus so I had the larger phone. I liked the larger screen and the better camera. But, the larger size was undeniably a bit awkward. The phone usually required 2 hands. Also, it wouldn't fit in some pockets and would easily fall out. At the gym, it would often fall out of my pocket. I put up with it because of the larger screen but didn't love it.

The iPhone X gives you a larger screen than on the iPhone 7 plus but in a much smaller phone. This is because of the lack of the bezel. It is much easier to use the phone and carry it in a pocket with the smaller size. I honestly didn't realize how much I had given up to have the larger 7 Plus when I was suddenly not inflicted with it.

2. The OLED display - I expected it to be better, but it is so much better than my 7 plus it is shocking to me. I looked at the same screen on them side by side. Until Friday, I thought the 7 plus had a great display. I had no issues with it. But, compared to the X the 7 plus is washed out and dim. The X is much brighter and just more vivid.

3. Face ID - I was very skeptical of Face ID. I was worried it would slow and difficult to use. But, it is already so wonderful. Basically it is as if your phone wasn't locked at all. I pick up the phone and by the time I have it where I am going to swipe up it has already unlocked. It just does it. I don't have to do anything except pick it up. Yes, there are situations where it doesn't do it. This morning when I first woke up in dim light it failed. But, I tried again and it worked. To put it in context, Face ID fails far, far less than Touch ID failed. This is just a huge quality of life improvement.

4. No home button - I was very skeptical of this as well. But, actually, I adjusted to it in a few hours. I've found out how to do most things that required the home button and it has mostly been very easy. Now that I have gotten used to it, the idea of a home button seems archaic and a waste of space.

5. The camera - The camera is better. I haven't done any serious picture taking yet, but have done enough to see it is a measurable improvement for both the front facing and regular cameras.

6. Processor - Yes, it is very fast.

I realize all of the above may seem like small things, but overall if you use your phone a lot it just improves quality of life. Things are easier to do. It is more intuitive. The size is perfect and the screen is great. I've had an iphone for many years and this phone is by far the largest incremental improvement.

Things I don't like - these are all minor compared to the above

1 - The back can get warm - Some tasks seem to warm up the back. I didn't have a case yesterday and there was a time when it was almost painful to hold (this was while my backup was being restored -- once that was done it cooled down). For most of my use of it this was fine -- a little warm but not awful. Still this is one reason to favor the case. Another is that the back of the phone is glass so it is really more fragile than past phones. I went out and bought a case this morning.

2. You can't stealth use Touch ID to unlock your phone and surreptitiously check email or texts under the table. - Face ID requires lifting up your phone so it can see your face. Typing in a password if you have a 10 digit password like I do is not something I can do under the table. So, I just can't stealthily use the phone. This isn't something I commonly do so it is something I am willing to give up for the much greater convenience of Face ID.

3. There were a couple of apps where when I went to the app the keyboard didn't come up and I didn't figure out how to get it up. I suspect there is a way to do this but I haven't learned it yet. I was able to work around it by going back an earlier step and then going back to the place I needed the keyboard. But, this was the only lack of home key thing that bothered me.

Things that might be important to you that aren't important to me:

1. I don't care about Animoji. I spent like 30 seconds on it and was bored.

2. The notch at the top of the screen for the camera and stuff. Didn't bother me at all. A very fair tradeoff to get rid of the bezel.

3. Wireless charging. I think it is a nice feature and will probably buy a wireless charging pad but isn't really that important to me. I haven't tried it. Note that you can use this with most cases and still wirelessly charge.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your review. I’ll be getting one soon. My 5s is getting about 2hrs of use from a full charge. Can’t add any more music or photos to it. I’ve recently grown accustomed to these problems to the point that I rarely use it. But a new x would come in handy because it would give me the option of using the phone’s camera instead of lugging a separate camera most of the time.

Excellent review. Thanks much for that.
I was thinking of getting a Plus for my next one. I wanted a bigger screen for these tired old eyes but was concerned about it fitting in my pocket. The X sounds like an excellent compromise.

At least a year away from replacing our current models (DW has a 6S and I have a 7), but looking forward to it.

Thanks! I have a 5g and am perfectly happy with it but when it stops working or Apple no longer supports it, it sounds like the X is a good option.

DH wants the bigger screen of the X without the bigger size plus the two lens camera.

OTOH, I got a kick out of this:

The 2007 iPhone will cost you 15 times more than the iPhone X

The iPhone X will cost $999. But there are some people who have held onto their original version — with good reason. ... Bob Kraft, a retired business owner in Madison, Wisc., received an offer of $11,000 for an unopened iPhone that came in a factory gift box from Apple with a red ribbon — and he turned it down. His asking price was $15,000.

Reading about collectors with products in unopened original boxes many years later always amaze me.

If I tried that I would have a factory shipping error that resulted in nothing actually inside the unopened box. :facepalm:

I was thinking of getting a Plus for my next one. I wanted a bigger screen for these tired old eyes but was concerned about it fitting in my pocket. The X sounds like an excellent compromise.

Yes, between the "regular" size and the Plus, I was happy to take the Plus. But, the size was a downside. I had to be careful of pocket size when I bought stuff and at the Y it would constantly fall out of my pocket. The X solves all the issues -- bigger screen but much smaller size.

I still have a 4S, our first iPhone, and an 8 Plus which DW carries in her purse. I appreciate the review. We will likely wait until the next generation X (XI?) corrects any design issues with the X.

I really like it. There is a glitch where I can’t share a photo on Facebook from the gallery app...hoping they update things.

I bought into all the media hype before the preorder date and believed that supplies would be so tight that I would never get one unless I stayed up until midnight an placed my order within the first minute they went live. The only problem was the Apple store didn't come back online for me until about 12 minutes after midnight, and by then they had sold out. I gave up in frustration and placed my order the next day, with a 5-6 week shipping time.

So then yesterday morning, the day after everyone got their first day orders, I checked on the Apple web site to see if shipping times had improved. What I found instead is that every Apple store within a 50 mile radius (12 stores) had plenty of inventory of every model. So I placed an order at 9am, and arranged for a 10:30am pickup at the local mall.

I expected a huge line with everyone trying to get their phones. There was one person ahead of me. I was in and out of the store with my new Iphone X in less than 5 minutes. I still can't figure out what all the hype was about with supply shortages.

Even this morning when I checked again every store had inventory. In any case, I do like the phone, and I'm on the AT&T Next program so I get an upgrade every 12 months. This one is so much easier to carry around than that big chunky iPhone 7 Plus. It was well worth it.

I bought into all the media hype before the preorder date and believed that supplies would be so tight that I would never get one unless I stayed up until midnight an placed my order within the first minute they went live. The only problem was the Apple store didn't come back online for me until about 12 minutes after midnight, and by then they had sold out. I gave up in frustration and placed my order the next day, with a 5-6 week shipping time.

So then yesterday morning, the day after everyone got their first day orders, I checked on the Apple web site to see if shipping times had improved. What I found instead is that every Apple store within a 50 mile radius (12 stores) had plenty of inventory of every model. So I placed an order at 9am, and arranged for a 10:30am pickup at the local mall.

I expected a huge line with everyone trying to get their phones. There was one person ahead of me. I was in and out of the store with my new Iphone X in less than 5 minutes. I still can't figure out what all the hype was about with supply shortages.

Even this morning when I checked again every store had inventory. In any case, I do like the phone, and I'm on the AT&T Next program so I get an upgrade every 12 months. This one is so much easier to carry around than that big chunky iPhone 7 Plus. It was well worth it.

I am glad you got it. I so agree. It’s so easy to use. I had the 8 Plus and sold it. Got tired of the huge phones. Sometimes people had a hard time hearing me because the mouthpiece was a mile away lol.

Thanks for the review. I was going to pass until next year, but after reading online reviews last week I put one on order. I’ve been wanting to upgrade from my 6s for the bigger screen and better camera. I was hesitant to get rid of TouchID, but all the reviews on FaceID have been positive so that’s a relief.

I ordered mine through t-mobile, since they have a deal to trade in your old iPhone for $300 and they give you 0% financing for 24 months for the balance after the down payment. The downside is that it won’t ship until sometime in December, but that’s fine with me.

Thanks for the review. I was going to pass until next year, but after reading online reviews last week I put one on order. I’ve been wanting to upgrade from my 6s for the bigger screen and better camera. I was hesitant to get rid of TouchID, but all the reviews on FaceID have been positive so that’s a relief.

I ordered mine through t-mobile, since they have a deal to trade in your old iPhone for $300 and they give you 0% financing for 24 months for the balance after the down payment. The downside is that it won’t ship until sometime in December, but that’s fine with me.

The trade-in is nice. Beware the 0% financing though - T-Mobile tacked on several dollars in monthly "fees" and as soon as I saw that I immediately paid off my iPhone SE*. That was in early 2016.

* I was able to take advantage of an Amex 10% off telecom company purchases so I came out ahead.

Last edited:

It was interesting. I did the pre-order thing right when pre-orders opened and got an 11/3 delivery which was perfect. DH was ordering his at the same time but was about 1 minute behind me and he had a delivery date of 11/17 to 11/24. But he got an email the other day that his phone had shipped and will be here on the 6th. Go figure.

I was worried about not having TouchID but I really do like Face ID a lot. The only negative is not being able to stealthily use TouchID under the table to glance at my phone without holding it up. But that isn't a big deal.

The trade-in is nice. Beware the 0% financing though - T-Mobile tacked on several dollars in monthly "fees" and as soon as I saw that I immediately paid off my iPhone SE*. That was in early 2016.

* I was able to take advantage of an Amex 10% off telecom company purchases so I came out ahead.

I’ve taken advantage of T-Mobile trade in offers a couple of times and have never had any extra fees tacked on.

Do you remember what the fees were and how they justified them?

Thanks for the review, it all makes sense (Animojis seemed silly to me). I don’t upgrade even every two years, we both still have the 6 Plus. But when it’s no longer working well, we/I will upgrade to the latest and greatest, which would be the X at the moment. For example I went from an iPad2 (Gen 2) to an iPad Air 2 (Gen 6), an example of our upgrade frequency.

Last edited:
Very nice review. Will definitely look at it once current phone is paid up next year.

For those that have the phone or ordered one, or thinking of ordering one - what size memory - 64 Gb or 256gb?

I ordered a 64gb. I haven’t used that much on my 6s, so I figure I can make it work on the X.

For those that have the phone or ordered one, or thinking of ordering one - what size memory - 64 Gb or 256gb?

I don't consider myself a heavy user, but my iPhone 7 has 128 GB and I'm using a little over 60. So I would have to go with the 256.

Thanks for posting the review. Objective and on point. I have a 6S that I wasn't sure about upgrading. I went to the Apple Store and checked out the device. Blew me away. I will be picking one up within the month. The two selling points were the display that's awesome as well as the camera improvements over the 6S. Looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom