New iPhone/Apple Watch?

Perhaps this belongs under the "blow that dough" thread, but this morning I ordered two new iPhone 11's for DW and me. Our iPhone 6's (not 6S) are now five years old and the latest version of iOS doesn't support them any longer, so no more security updates.

That sounds like a good choice (11 over earlier models). I’m getting experience right now with having a phone (5s) that can’t run iOS 13.1.

If I were to decide to get a newer iPhone it would be not-bleeding-edge model of the most recent batch. That would be iPhone 11 (I’d been considering the 8 but that would be the first to drop off the supported list).

I’ll squeeze what I can out of the 5s and have recently dropped some $$ into iPad + accessories so would like to hold on with more purchases.

My Apple Watch came in handy this morning. DH and I are visiting Nags Head and went out for a walk this morning without wallets or phones. We ended up at Jennette’s Pier, which has a small fee to access.

Alas, no money in our pockets. But Apple Pay to the rescue! Double tap my watch, hold it up to the credit card thingy, and we’re good to go out on the pier and watch the fishermen.

DH still doesn’t quite understand how I did that.

Nice!

The other day at an out of state Costco. I hold up my phone Costco App ID page for them to wand me in, then do Apple Pay with my watch at the terminal.

Reaction from the cashier: "Wow, you all technology girrrrl!"

LOL! - not bad for pushing 60!

I saw the new Apple Watch series 5 last night. Nice.

I had to stop staring at it as my series 3 watch was getting very jealous. :)

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/apple-watch-5

It sounds a bit silly, that the Apple Watch can now tell you the time all the time. And maybe it is. But alongside the heart health diagnostic tools that made the Series 4 so essential, a built-in compass and the watchOS 6 features that improve just about every part of the Apple Watch experience, the Series 5’s always-on display cements the Apple Watch’s place as the best smartwatch you can buy.

...I’d been considering the 8 but that would be the first to drop off the supported list)...

Maybe not. The 6s and the 7/7+ would likely go before an 8. I will guess that the 8 has a couple more years of being supported.

My Apple Watch came in handy this morning. DH and I are visiting Nags Head and went out for a walk this morning without wallets or phones. We ended up at Jennette’s Pier, which has a small fee to access.

Alas, no money in our pockets. But Apple Pay to the rescue! Double tap my watch, hold it up to the credit card thingy, and we’re good to go out on the pier and watch the fishermen.

I'm curious -- do you have the cellular-enabled watch?

I still love my older Series 2 watch with only wifi capability, but that sort of thing might make me consider a newer model before long. And if cellular is required to use Apple Pay without your phone, I wonder if a cellular contract is needed as well, or if it would work without one.

I still love my older Series 2 watch with only wifi capability, but that sort of thing might make me consider a newer model before long. And if cellular is required to use Apple Pay without your phone, I wonder if a cellular contract is needed as well, or if it would work without one.
Must need a contract.

My watch is a series three with cell capability. But I have never turned it on as I thought the contracts were too expensive. And I don't really need it. There were some other features with the Series 3 cell capability that were appealing, plus I initially thought I might use it.

You don’t need cellular service to use Apple Pay. The card information is stored locally on the watch.

Typing this on the new iPhone 11. Upgraded from a 7 when I saw a deal from AT&T for $450 off the phone just for signing a 2 year agreement. I’ve been off plans for years and pay about $55 a month but they didn’t change my plan at all (confirmed many times on chat snf got it in writing) so I figured this was a great deal. I can sell the 7 for $200 and I end up paying about $110 including tax $299 from $749) for something that will hold most of that value for another 2 years.

Have to ask the loyalty department about this offer.

Gadgets are my weakness so I had to treat myself.

The camera is amazing and well worth the upgrade if you take lots of photos. DSLR quality.

I have the Series 4 with WiFi only. Since I was a more than a mile from my phone, there's no chance it was still connected. I guess since the credit card is stored in the Apple Wallet on the watch, it's available without connectivity.

This is my first Apple Watch, so I can't comment on the differences between the Series 2 and Series 4. Are you sure your Series 2 can't do Apple Pay?

I think I tried Apple Pay once with my series 4 watch, but did not like having to enter an unlock code in, so I just use my iPhone 8 and my fingerprint.

I think I tried Apple Pay once with my series 4 watch, but did not like having to enter an unlock code in, so I just use my iPhone 8 and my fingerprint.

There must be a setting somewhere -- I haven't had to enter a passcode on my watch when using Apple Pay. Maybe the first time, but certainly not recently.

My 11 Pro arrived last Friday. I had downgraded in size from my XS Max. So far, I am very happy with it. The improvement in the camera is very noticeable. The new night mode is great. The ultra wide lens has come in handy several times. The camera upgrade alone makes this worthwhile to me.

So far I am happy that I downsized in screen size. Since I do have an iPad I don't need my phone screen to be huge and I like that this phone is just easier to handle.

Maybe not. The 6s and the 7/7+ would likely go before an 8. I will guess that the 8 has a couple more years of being supported.

I think you’re right. I was going by what phones are currently listed for sale from the Apple site.

Huh? I never have to enter an unlock code. Once my watch is on my wrist and unlocked for the day, ApplePay is good to go with no code entry. Are you sure this is not a configuration problem? Or your watch may have been locked for some reason.

There must be a setting somewhere -- I haven't had to enter a passcode on my watch when using Apple Pay. Maybe the first time, but certainly not recently.

There's a setting in Watch Preferences for "Unlock with iPhone". With this set, unlocking your iPhone automatically unlocks your watch as well. If you haven't unlocked your iPhone, then you still need to enter a passcode to access your watch.

So basically if you prove it's you to your iPhone, that's good enough for your watch too.

And no no no, you certainly don't need to be online (WiFi or cellular) to use Apple Pay on your watch.

Ok, i'll try it with my Apple Watch again sometime. If ^^^^ is correct, then who would have their phone unlocked when they step up to the register to pay? Unlikely! Mine would be in my pocket, locked.

If ^^^^ is correct, then who would have their phone unlocked when they step up to the register to pay? Unlikely! Mine would be in my pocket, locked.

Once your watch "verifies that it's you" it doesn't require reverification while it continues to be on your wrist. Once it's taken off your wrist and then is returned to your wrist, it needs to be reverified to be used, either by typing the passcode or by having the iPhone vouche for you.

Basically, you verify that you are you either (1) by passcode or (2) biometrically (faceID or touchID).

Once it's know that you are you, both your iPhone and your watch allow you do do a variety of things.

Also, your phone needs reverification that you are you and are entitled to use it every time it's locked. If the iPhone is locked in your pocked, to use it you need to reverify - either passcode, touchID or faceID.

The Apple Watch doesn't need to reverify until it's removed from your wrist.

^^^^ Ok, makes sense. I'll try using it next time I Apple Pay.

Ok, i'll try it with my Apple Watch again sometime. If ^^^^ is correct, then who would have their phone unlocked when they step up to the register to pay? Unlikely! Mine would be in my pocket, locked.

Once your watch is fastened on your wrist and unlocked, it stays unlocked regardless of whether your phone is locked.

I'll be different (as usual). I moved over from Apple stuff as much as possible (although I am writing this on an iMac which is a hand me down from my wife when she upgraded hers) and my wife is still a devotee. I have a Samsung S9+ and I recently got the Samsung Galaxy watch 46mm for my birthday. Comparing this to the Apple I think the Galaxy is better and less expensive. The same thing for the S-9+. My wife picked up a Huawei P30 Pro in China at about 1/2 the cost of her iPhone X and it is a far superior product. She is a professional photographer and the cameras on the P30 Pro are excellent and now she has stopped carrying all her bulky camera gear. It is that good. MY S9+ cameras are also excellent, particularly the videos which are exceptional and I think both these phones are far superior to equivalent Apple products.

My Samsung Galaxy watch has a battery that lasts and honest 3 days even when I use it for speed and compass when sailing. I am very happy with it and my neighbor has an iWatch and is jealous. I think Apple as a company lost their Mojo when Steve Jobs died. I am not impressed with anything they are making now and they seem to be one or 2 steps behind competitors for roughly 30% more cost. There are more Apps for the iWatch than the Galaxy but I have what I need and don't wish for anything else. I also customized it with a new bezel and watch band so it is a fine looking watch. I also participate in the Samsung software development program and write some small apps for the watch and a couple of watch faces. It is fun and fairly easy to do. I am not sure Apple has opened up their Watch OS for people to tinker about with which is typical for Apple. I also program for Amazon Alexa as well and build my own Alexa speakers for around the place mostly using inexpensive Raspberry Pi's and an audio Pi-HAT board. Anyway, I would look hard at the decision to buy an Apple product and spend some time researching other products.

Back
Top Bottom