Phone Can't See WiFi Signal in Apt

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I as over at my sister and her roomate's apartment today. Was burning up my data plan so asked if I could sign on to their wifi.

Both of them know very very little about computers. A hired helper there knows a bit more. So, I got a wi-fi passcode and tried but couldn't get in only to find out later that was the wrong signal. There apartment has two signals. One time Comcast did something to get my sister's roommate's tablet to work.

So, I'm thinking, okay. how about the other signal? But oddly, the other wifi didn't come up as a wifi signal nearby. But I could see that my roommate's tablet and the helper's phone saw and was on the wifi.

Finally, I gave up but now am scratching my head as to why the signal wouldn't show up as a possible wifi connection? Perhaps the guy from Comcast did some hard coding? Ideas? Would something like a simple power off/on of the router make the signal one my phone can see?

Perhaps someone disabled the "broadcast SSID" setting, so that the signal cannot be seen. In that case, just log into the router admin, locate that setting and change it.

Perhaps someone disabled the "broadcast SSID" setting, so that the signal cannot be seen. In that case, just log into the router admin, locate that setting and change it.

Thanks for the tip. That sounds like a very valid explanation.

Not sure if I will pursue the fix though as one, don't want to risk messing thing up and two don't want to get too involved as my sister's roommate is the type that would want me to manage her network, among other things. She's the give one inch, she'll take two miles type. Plus, I don't want to risk messing up some settings.

Is her WiFi broadcasting at 2.4 GHz or 5GHz? How old is your phone and does it support both or only 2.4 Ghz?

If this is the case, choose other and type in the name manually on your phone.

Right, you could see what network they are on and type in that SSID. If it's password enabled, you'll either need to see the password on their device, and often it's hidden with **** and you may or may not be able to unhide it, or they'll have to tell you.

You might can to check in settings that Airplane mode didn't get turned on. Also check WIFI setting and make sure it is on.

Mine not long ago did the something and my WIFI got turned off some how.

You might can to check in settings that Airplane mode didn't get turned on. Also check WIFI setting and make sure it is on.

Mine not long ago did the something and my WIFI got turned off some how.

Airplane mode shuts off all radio based functions including WiFi.

From the OP:
So, I got a wi-fi passcode and tried but couldn't get in only to find out later that was the wrong signal.
Getting the wrong signal says that wifi for easysurfer's phone is turned on.

Is her WiFi broadcasting at 2.4 GHz or 5GHz? How old is your phone and does it support both or only 2.4 Ghz?

This sounds like a valid reason also.

Interesting. I've always thought wireless is wireless. Never thought about different speeds.

Did notice the signal I couldn't see had a 5.0 as part of the name and one I could see had 2.4 as part of the name.

Last edited:

I think this is the reason. I have a basic Moto G4 Play phone and I don't think 5GHz is supported. Probably the thing that made the most sense all day. :)

Had a rough day.

Thought this was incorrect as my basic G4 supports both 2.4 and 5GHz but the online specs confirm the G4 Play supports 2.4GHz only. Bummer.

I assumed wireless is wireless and would have never thought about the unrecognized signal tip pointed out here.

The dual band is a likely reason the phone can not see the signal. The numbers in the signal name are a pretty good hint that's the cause.

Not wanting to become the default go to guy for network operation and support is a real good reason to not get involved. :)

Was burning up my data plan so asked if I could sign on to their wifi.

As we keep doing more and more with the little computers in our pocket, an unlimited data plan will become more and more common.

The dual band is a likely reason the phone can not see the signal. The numbers in the signal name are a pretty good hint that's the cause.

Not wanting to become the default go to guy for network operation and support is a real good reason to not get involved. :)

I'm already the default guy for some family members when comes to computer support. My sister and her roommate do not know who to use computers. The roommate wanted me to teach her how to set up and use the tablet.

I figure we already have one snakebit support situation here on this forum :).

Speaking of family member support when I came home my SIL needed help in how to unzip a password protected file. Most difficult part (via Teamviewer) was locating the file buried in her mess of emails. Second difficult part was showing her that she is using Win 10 while she was convinced she was still using Win 7 :facepalm:.

Last edited:
So, if you have access to the router, make sure the 2.4GHz is on and is broadcasting. If you don't have access to the router, type ssdi manually as well as your password. All the info mentioned already are good and valid. good luck...

Back
Top Bottom