PlayStation Vue!

Tablo uses an app, probably works on any recent Roku. But MM could explain more.

Regarding Tablo, DW is tech adverse and I have to be very considerate when making any technology changes in our household.

Prior to Tablo, I had a Windows Media Center PC with an extender at the TV. This worked great for years, but it was starting to show its age. I spent a long time looking for a replacement and a couple of years ago I decided to try out Tablo. At the time, it was still somewhat buggy. For the first few months, I would get complaints from DW that it wasn't working, but after a couple of firmware/app updates the complaints went away. After a few months I asked DW how it was working and she said fine. Nice.

I should look into 3rd party remotes. For the easiest solution, Roku is probably the best way to go. Sure, you'll have to switch apps, but it's a lot better than switching inputs. My only issue with Roku is the remote.

I wish Amazon would release an app for AppleTV, but I'm skeptical this will happen anytime soon. Otherwise it would be a perfect solution for us.

Here's the channels YouTube TV is publicizing as of today...

canales-youtube-tv.jpg

And PlayStation Vue in 7 major metro areas include local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox & Telemundo for $40/mo. The other 203 metro areas covered may get some or none of the local major networks live, for $5-$10/mo less.

Attachments

• PSV.jpg
    PSV.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 15
Here's the channels YouTube TV is publicizing as of today...

canales-youtube-tv.jpg

Great that they have a lot of sports but the lack of AMC is glaring. Most of the dramas we watch are on AMC.

I wonder if this is just a promo teaser rate given all the sports, that's gotta be expensive.

Great that they have a lot of sports but the lack of AMC is glaring. Most of the dramas we watch are on AMC.

I wonder if this is just a promo teaser rate given all the sports, that's gotta be expensive.
They've published $35/mo, all channels live, cloud DVR (9 month limit), 3 streams/devices.

No idea about promo/teaser rate, but you'd think they'd state that up front, to do otherwise would encourage ill will?

We all favor different channel/genres, and there are different channel listings for each package/price range, with various "glaring" channel omissions - presumably part of the savings. Obviously we'll all go for whatever best fits our needs vs what we're willing to spend...

Some people will be happy at $270/mo for TVs in every room and every conceivable channel, others with nothing but free OTA, a middle group paying $35-70/mo streaming - and bunches of people along the continuum. There is no "right answer" for everyone. I am just glad to see some competition in an industry where cable and satellite providers have had consumers somewhat over a barrel. The battle rages on.

Last edited:
I am just glad to see some competition in an industry where cable and satellite providers have had consumers somewhat over a barrel. The battle rages on.

+1

Fast moving, competitive space, which is great for all of us.

In addition to AMC, I noticed that YouTube TV is missing some other "big" channels: CNN, Food Network, and Comedy Central. I would imagine a large percentage (maybe even a majority?) of people watch at least one of those 4 on a fairly regular basis, so this could be a deal-breaker for many.

+1

Fast moving, competitive space, which is great for all of us.

In addition to AMC, I noticed that YouTube TV is missing some other "big" channels: CNN, Food Network, and Comedy Central. I would imagine a large percentage (maybe even a majority?) of people watch at least one of those 4 on a fairly regular basis, so this could be a deal-breaker for many.
Agreed, PS Vue is more appealing to us at least.

Nice that there are no long term contracts with these deals. You can go back and forth depending on your viewing mood.

For you baseball fans PS Vue added the MLB Network today to their $35/mo Core package. If you're into sports, this is a good package for the money.

I tried PS Vue for a week on my TV with a Roku stick.
The programming is just what I need but the user interface with Roku sucks unless I'm missing something.
Does Vue have any menu available when using an actual PlayStation or some other device? I guess I'm old fashion but I like a menu and watching more like cable TV.

I tried PS Vue for a week on my TV with a Roku stick.
The programming is just what I need but the user interface with Roku sucks unless I'm missing something.
Does Vue have any menu available when using an actual PlayStation or some other device? I guess I'm old fashion but I like a menu and watching more like cable TV.
PS Vue has a traditional menu with a PS, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, or any iOS or Android tablet or smartphone. I have no idea why, but Roku's are the only devices without a matrix style guide most viewers have come to expect. I assume that'll be remedied, hopefully soon. There is a workable guide on Roku, and many viewers think it's acceptable, but it's not what cable and satellite viewers are used to.

Thanks Midpack! Do you have any thoughts on any of these. I will have to check them out.
Thanks again
Murf

Thanks Midpack! Do you have any thoughts on any of these. I will have to check them out.
Thanks again
Murf
I have my own opinions, but I'm not sure how useful they would be. Very briefly, I prefer Roku over other streaming devices and PS Vue (in my metro area) over Sling TV or DirecTV Now, though I am anxious to see what YouTube TV and Hulu Live offer in the months ahead. I assume the PS Vue guide on Roku will be brought up to the same level as on other streaming platforms. I can get many OTA channels where I am, but I'd rather just stream everything.

Was there a specific question?

No, not really. I just wanted ant thoughts you might have. You prefer Roku, even with no real guide? Do you just stream specific shows? I'm more of a surfer I guess. I will look into some other apps.
I'm tired of $90 per month. Maybe just go to OTA like the old days. Kinda spoiled now, tho.

Thanks
Murf

No, not really. I just wanted ant thoughts you might have. You prefer Roku, even with no real guide? Do you just stream specific shows? I'm more of a surfer I guess. I will look into some other apps.
I'm tired of $90 per month. Maybe just go to OTA like the old days. Kinda spoiled now, tho.
I prefer Roku despite the Roku PS Vue guide, again I expect that to get fixed in time. "No real guide" isn't accurate IMO. There is a guide, it's just very different than cable or satellite, more like Netflix or Hulu - which many people find OK, some even prefer. You can surf just as easily with the latter guide. And I can see a conventional guide on my phone or tablet with the PS Vue app if needed for now.

We're going from a discounted $82/mo to $40/mo, happy to save $509/year without giving up anything we cared about. We had about 100 channels with Dish we literally never watched once, just annoying clutter to us.

Last edited:

Thanks
Murf

I have an Amazon Fire TV box in my living room and an older Roku in my bedroom. Viewing Vue on the Fire TV is much better than Roku, but as already mentioned I feel sure Roku will fix this in time.

I think when we get home we'll probably run Vue "parallel" with Dish for a month or so to make sure that it works for us and then get rid of Dish if it works like I think it will.

Bumping this thread for an update.

We got home last night and I started a Playstation Vue trial this morning since we are at the base of a mountain between us and local transmitters and as a result can not get OTA but Playstation Vue has the main local CBS channel that we care about. Initial impressions is that it is slow but I think that is because we are using a 1st generation Kindle Fire stick. DD has an Apple TV and we will see her on Monday and I'll get that to try. Unfortunately none of our TVs have built-in internet browser.

I'm hesitant to go out and invest in a bunch of streaming devices for Playstation Vue until after our trial period is over. If we decide to go with Playtation Vue, then I'll buy Fire TVs for our two main TVs and 2nd generation Fire TV Sticks for our other two TVs.

Any other impressions from those who have been using Playstation Vue for a while?

I found the video review below interesting, especially the section towards the end that you can use you Playstation Vue credentials just like cable tv credentials to use other streaming apps and get access to even more content.

DW is skeptical (as am I to a lesser extent)... change is hard for her. Just the fact that she has to use the Firestick remote to control the TV but the TV remote to control the volume was annoying to her... so time will tell. OTOH, our savings will only be about $30/month so it it doesn't work our it is not the end of the world.

https://youtu.be/T0kHqs5FGeI

Last edited:
I've given my views so you're asking others. PS Vue is still my favorite, but I am trialing YouTube TV at present and it has a very nice UI and it's $ and feature competitive with PS Vue near Chicago.

YTTV advantages: It appears they're going to offer 40-50 channels including ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox in all areas. PS Vue only offers all major channels in 7 large metro area, limited or no majors in 200+ other metro areas (will that change?). The YTTV UI is intuitive and slightly quicker than PS Vue.

PS Vue advantages: It appears they're going to offer 40-50 channels, but all majors only in 7 large metro areas. However there are way more quality cable channels with PSV vs YTTV missing HGTV, Food Network, CNN, TBS, TNT and others. Users should compare channel by channel, but the PS Vue lineup is much better than YTTV for us.

Neither offer Viacom channels which includes Comedy Central and several others http://www.viacom.com/brands/pages/default.aspx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom