The 2019 cell/smart phone plan thread

AT&T Prepaid now offers unlimited talk/text & 8GB/month LTE data for $300/year when you pay in advance (not sure if taxes are included)...IIRC unused data rolls over one period.

Biggest advantage (IMHO) is that AT&T Prepaid supports hotspot at no additional charge (many MVNOs don't support hotspot at all or charge you extra)

Thanks. $25 is a great price for 8GB but we just don't need that much. 5GB for $20 will be plenty. Red Pocket supports AT&T tethering on Android (but not iOS), with no limitations or extra cost. I rarely, if ever, use hotspot anyway.

I have a great Samsung S8 Android smartphone that I got through Sprint. My Sprint contract recently expired. I am researching various MVNO offerings to see what best suits my needs.

Sprint is a CDMA carrier (= no SIM card used inside the phone. Instead, their software has been 'flashed' onto the phone.)

To keep using my Samsung phone, am I limited to a CDMA carrier (Sprint, Verizon or US Cellular or an MVNO using one of those carriers)?

If I am limited to CDMA with this phone, and I decide I want to leave Sprint for another CDMA carrier, do I need to get the phone "unlocked'/reflashed? How do I do that if the new provider doesn't have a physical store nearby?

omni

Depends how you use your phone. I don't talk all that much and don't use my phone for things that require data very often so I have a tracfone that cost $100 and spend around $100/yr for services(talk/text/data). I have had the same phone for around four years with no problems for around $100/yr.

Tracfone has a $49 promotion this month (August) that gives you a year of service plus 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, and 3 GB of data. That would be half of what you normally pay ($100/year).

I, like you, am a very limited smart-phone user. This type plan works well for me. And with the promo it will only cost about $4/month to have a phone.

I do most of my data-required phone things over my home Wi-Fi for free. I use the mobile data when I want google-maps to work. A few phone calls, a few texts is all I need.

Works - well for me !

Tracfone Deals and Sales List - August 2019Airtime Deal - 1 Year Service/1200 Mins
Get a great deal on airtime with this bargain. You get 1200 Talk, 1200 Texts and 3G Data plus 365 Service Days for just $49. This deal is available for both new activations with BYO (you get a SIM card with it) or for renewal/existing customers. Just select from the drop down next to the quantity which option you want. normally this amount of airtime would cost about $100.

Get 1 Year/1200 Min airtime bundle on
eBay for $49

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-P...GB-Data/283448464240?var=&hash=item41fed85370

Last edited:
I have a great Samsung S8 Android smartphone that I got through Sprint. My Sprint contract recently expired. I am researching various MVNO offerings to see what best suits my needs.

Sprint is a CDMA carrier (= no SIM card used inside the phone. Instead, their software has been 'flashed' onto the phone.)

To keep using my Samsung phone, am I limited to a CDMA carrier (Sprint, Verizon or US Cellular or an MVNO using one of those carriers)?

If I am limited to CDMA with this phone, and I decide I want to leave Sprint for another CDMA carrier, do I need to get the phone "unlocked'/reflashed? How do I do that if the new provider doesn't have a physical store nearby?

omni

I believe the S8 will work on both CDMA and GSM networks. DD bought an unlocked S8 on Ting and she said it could be activated on either of their networks (Sprint or T-Mobile). But you may want to confirm with your specific model number. It's possible there are GSM-only or CDMA-only versions sold by carriers.

Either way, you'll need to get it unlocked by Sprint in order to use it with another carrier. Sprint doesn't use SIMs, but once it's unlocked, you'll get a SIM from the new carrier. I think this is necessary even if you use an MVNO on Sprint's network.

Details and requirements are here:

Unlocking your Sprint device

I believe the S8 will work on both CDMA and GSM networks. DD bought an unlocked S8 on Ting and she said it could be activated on either of their networks (Sprint or T-Mobile). But you may want to confirm with your specific model number. It's possible there are GSM-only or CDMA-only versions sold by carriers.

Either way, you'll need to get it unlocked by Sprint in order to use it with another carrier. Sprint doesn't use SIMs, but once it's unlocked, you'll get a SIM from the new carrier. I think this is necessary even if you use an MVNO on Sprint's network.

Details and requirements are here:

Unlocking your Sprint device

Thanks, Cobra9777!

I'm off to the Sprint store.....:)

omni

When you signed up, did you call and ask for a specific network? What was the process?
You can ask for either an AT&T SIM card or a T-Mobile SIM card from Consumer Cellular. I asked for AT&T. However, a Consumer Cellular line with an AT&T SIM will not work internationally. Consumer Cellular will either send you a T-Mobile SIM for international travel or you can go to Target and get a Consumer Cellular T-Mobile SIM for $10, and Consumer Cellular will reimburse you. I did this prior to going to Mexico. But you don't get T-Mobile's great deal for international usage if you're on a Consumer Cellular plan. I stuck mainly to WiFi usage while in Mexico.

I may be traveling internationally soon and may switch to an actual T-Mobile account for their international perks, then perhaps switch back to Consumer Cellular. For a single line, T-Mobile's Senior plan is not a good deal compared to Consumer Cellular.

OK, my smartphone is unlocked and I'm getting down to brass tacks about finding an MVNO.

Is there an easy way to find out which MVNOs support WiFi?

omni

Consumer Cellular, including taxes and fees
-2 lines
-2 GB data
-text and talk unlimited
$49.42

The other point about Consumer Cellular is they don't throttle if you exceed your data -- however -- they do bump you up to the next tier of service.

So traveling -- that's when I'd exceed my data, I make sure I go back in and adjust my account afterwards.

I have one line, and the AARP discount, same plan as above -- 33.91. I'm watching my useage and I don't think I can go to the lower data use.

I've discovered on my Iphone, data has to be on all the time, or I don't get text messages, which is pretty much how all the niblings communicate. But being as that I'm pretty always on wifi, I'm well within my 2Gs of use.

Also going down to the next tier of data only saves me $5.00.

Last edited:
OK, my smartphone is unlocked and I'm getting down to brass tacks about finding an MVNO.

Is there an easy way to find out which MVNOs support WiFi?

omni

What do you mean by support Wi-Fi? Wi-Fi calling? Using the phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot? Something else?

If anyone you are going to share an account with is a veteran you can get 1/2 off with T-mobile. Just have to text them a copy of your DD214. We currently pay $130 for 5 smart phones and 1 tablet. Unlimited everything (minutes, data, etc.) on 4LTE with T-mobile. Unlimited texting and data that worked great in Europe at no extra charge. No contract ever.

Been with them since before they were T-mobile. Great coverage and excellent customer service.

What do you mean by support Wi-Fi? Wi-Fi calling? Using the phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot? Something else?

WiFi calling plus any WiFi data and texting. Not WiFI hotspot.

(FWIW, I just learned that my WiFi usage is 10MB since July 23. Since my WiFi on Sprint (my carrier) is free, I never paid attention to this before. I haven't used WiFi much for phone calls recently, but it seems like I have several news sites that operate in the background that have been racking up the WiFi usage. They can be turned off, but it's been nice to get "breaking news" updates whenever I swipe 'up' on my phone. )

omni

Last edited:
I have a Sprint Ting moto phone that doesn't do true wifi calling, but Google Voice works fine with it. My Mint t-mobile moto phone has it, but you have to jump through hoops for the 911 issue. My Red Pocket AT&T moto from defunk Freedompop has it, but through Freedompop's app. Are we confused yet?

I have a Sprint Ting moto phone that doesn't do true wifi calling, but Google Voice works fine with it. My Mint t-mobile moto phone has it, but you have to jump through hoops for the 911 issue. My Red Pocket AT&T moto from defunk Freedompop has it, but through Freedompop's app. Are we confused yet?

Sifting through the details on all the MVNAs to find the one best for my usage is confusing, for sure.

grasshopper:
When you say "My Red Pocket AT&T moto from defunk Freedompop has it, but through Freedompop's app......"Does that mean you have to navigate to the app's screen and initiate the WiFi call from there?" or what?

omni

Last edited:
Spectrum, my Internet provider has free WIFI hotspots everywhere I seem to go. The pizza place, the sandwich place, my doctors office are just few examples. My phone is set up to automatically connect to them, once you've entered the password the first time at a particular location, it remembers it the next time you're there. My dentist offers free WIFI also. Spectrum claims to have 250,000 hot spots nationwide. On my cell plan, I just have 500MB of data and don't even use it all. When I'm home it's using my own WIFI. Since I don't make many phone calls, I don't have any on my plan and just have $10 in my pay as you go balance for any time I do want to make calls, it only costs me a penny a minute so not worth messing with WIFI calling. I can also call though Facebook or Google Voice if I do want to make WIFI calls. If I'm planning a trip, I can change my plan for that month from from $5 for unlimited texts and 500mb data to $14 for 2gb data and unlimited calling and texts and when I get back home, I can switch it back to my normal plan for my next months renewal. I like the ability to change the plan up and down as needed.

+1 for Cricket (AT&T). Works flawlessly, and good coverage, at least around us. At the in-laws, who live in the sticks, we get nothing at all, but we just do wifi calling there...no problem.

Unlimited everything: $100 for 4 lines, all taxes/fees included. We spread the lines around the family, since we don't need all 4. For us, it is hard to beat $25/month, for what you get.

Same with us 4 smartphones unlimited everything - $100 total. :)

Just for kicks I checked my plans data usage, I've used 128mb since July 23rd.
I also check my WIFI usage, I've used 8.98GB since July 23rd, hard to believe I've used that much but I do stream all my TV and it's on most of the day every day so that's probably the bulk of it.

Sifting through the details on all the MVNAs to find the one best for my usage is confusing, for sure.

grasshopper:
When you say "My Red Pocket AT&T moto from defunk Freedompop has it, but through Freedompop's app......"Does that mean you have to navigate to the app's screen and initiate the WiFi call from there?" or what?

omni

Wifi calls are made through the app dialer Messaging not your phones native dialer.

Spectrum, my Internet provider has free WIFI hotspots everywhere I seem to go. ...

I think the way they do that is that if you rent a modem from them there is a private channel for you and a public channel for their wi-fi network.... I can find all sorts of Xfinity wifi connections in our neighborhood in Florida.

I think the way they do that is that if you rent a modem from them there is a private channel for you and a public channel for their wi-fi network.... I can find all sorts of Xfinity wifi connections in our neighborhood in Florida.
Yes. I have Xfinity and that is my understanding as well.

It's a great deal for Comcast. Their customers pay $10 a month to rent a device that they could buy for $150 or less. Then Comcast turns around and "sells" access to those devices for its wifi hotspot network.

Yes. I have Xfinity and that is my understanding as well.

It's a great deal for Comcast. Their customers pay $10 a month to rent a device that they could buy for $150 or less. Then Comcast turns around and "sells" access to those devices for its wifi hotspot network.

Yep, that’s actually $13/mo after taxes and nonsense. Ask how I know...

Didn’t have time and energy to deal with this crap when w*rking, now got annoyed enough to do something. Both a 50 buck gateway. No going back.

Good info, Steelyman.

I'm now a big fan of just getting an unlocked phone from the start. Of course, you gotta pay up front.

I just sprang for 3 iPhone 6S 128GB on the bay represented as new in the box. A bit more screen while not making them much bigger than the 5s we’ve been using. They claim to be GSM/CDMA capable and unlocked. At $250 each the three of them represent a decent bump in storage and performance and should allow a swap from AT&T to a Verizon provider for better coverage- and new batteries! Three for the cost of one latest greatest from iPhone. My plan is to change to Red Pocket CDMA service for about 60% of the AT&T service. We’ll see how it works in a week or so. Fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom