Buying a belt shouldn't be this difficult

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So I'm doing disaster recovery work, and I don't have a good work belt. I make the mistake of buying something cheap since it might get damaged. Yeah, it gets "self damaged." Cheap.

First big trip -- middle of nowhere, under evacuation, no stores open -- the belt breaks. Well crap, there goes the tool pocket and hammer loop, let alone my pants are falling at my ankles. Of course, the volunteer community comes to my rescue and someone miraculously brought an extra which gets me through the trip.

So now I need to buy a real, quality belt. But how? Frankly, Amazon is "The Amazon" for buying a belt. People are reporting a lot of suspected fakes, and their pictures are proving it. Descriptive text for the product is full of egregious misspellings to the point of embarrassment.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a good, quality work belt? One that is genuine and not a fake? What's your favorite? I'm looking for something that you can hang some weight on, like a work belt or a tactical. And have you run into the counterfeit problem in this product area?

Finally, I feel like I need to go to a brick and mortar store. Should I go to some place like Cabela's? Will there be less chance of fakery there?

How about a Murdoch's, Duluth Trading, or similar? I would think Duluth would be a good place to start.

How about a Murdoch's, Duluth Trading, or similar? I would think Duluth would be a good place to start.
Hmmm. Didn't think of Duluth. That's a good suggestion. They have a brick and mortar close by. I'll have to give a visit.

My last two work belts have been Ariat. About $35 for the last one 7 or 8 years ago and it is still going strong. It is worn about every day. Purchased at Sheplers.

I'm very happy with the Daltech Force Bull Hide Leather Belt I purchased from Amazon two years ago. $43 so not what I would call cheap for a belt. I've worn it just about every day for the past two years with a full size firearm on one side, a loaded handgun magazine and a knife on the other side. The belt is just as good now as the day I received it.

So I'm doing disaster recovery work, and I don't have a good work belt. I make the mistake of buying something cheap since it might get damaged. Yeah, it gets "self damaged." Cheap.

First big trip -- middle of nowhere, under evacuation, no stores open -- the belt breaks. Well crap, there goes the tool pocket and hammer loop, let alone my pants are falling at my ankles. Of course, the volunteer community comes to my rescue and someone miraculously brought an extra which gets me through the trip.

So now I need to buy a real, quality belt. But how? Frankly, Amazon is "The Amazon" for buying a belt. People are reporting a lot of suspected fakes, and their pictures are proving it. Descriptive text for the product is full of egregious misspellings to the point of embarrassment.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a good, quality work belt? One that is genuine and not a fake? What's your favorite? I'm looking for something that you can hang some weight on, like a work belt or a tactical. And have you run into the counterfeit problem in this product area?

Finally, I feel like I need to go to a brick and mortar store. Should I go to some place like Cabela's? Will there be less chance of fakery there?

I go to military surplus. In fact I have bought most of my practical clothes in surplus stores since I was about 12.

Ha

I bought a belt around 1968 at a leather shop in St Augustine, Fl. I was told it was Latigo leather and would last a long time. He was right. I wore it for years and still have it. It is just as sturdy and nice as it was 50 years ago. Unfortunately my waist is a bit larger otherwise I would still be wearing it.

So find a leather shop or shoe repair shop in your area and ask about making a belt for you in Latigo leather.

Cheers!

When I was a first responder most of my gear that I couldn't find locally I ordered from Galls, including a webbed nylon duty belt that held up fine even with a 4 D-cell Maglite hanging from it. Most of my coworkers (and later on, fellow volunteers) ordered from them. I highly recommend them.

I have always liked the web belts from https://www.511tactical.com/. I prefer the 1.5 inch TDU belt. I think it comes in a 2 inch size too. Sometimes I wish they made a 1.0 inch version but they don't. They recently have redesigned the belts and the buckle but the new design seems to work as well as the older version did. I used to be able to buy them as cheaply online as in a store like the old Gander Mountain because shipping was free. But now shipping isn't free until your order is something like $35 or more. Nonetheless, it is still very reasonably priced compared to comparable belts.

I always buy belts from a local Amish leather craftsman. they will last forever.

Lots of really, really good ideas and resources you all provided. Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

Amazon is turning into Crapazon for a lot of consumer items.

I don't mind paying a bit more to get something real that will last. Really good ideas here.

When I was a first responder most of my gear that I couldn't find locally I ordered from Galls, including a webbed nylon duty belt that held up fine even with a 4 D-cell Maglite hanging from it. Most of my coworkers (and later on, fellow volunteers) ordered from them. I highly recommend them.

Oh, I think this is an even nicer version of the one I used. Blow that dough! :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a gun guy or hunter. Nothing against either!

It is just a bit ironic I'm salivating over getting a belt that can hold all my crap, even if it isn't a gun, flashlight, taser, stick, etc. Also appreciate a belt that holds in a "struggle," although my struggles tend to be self imposed. :)

Anyway, I have a better appreciation for LEOs after looking at some of this gear. To us uninitiated, we never think about all the stuff they have to carry around.

Anyway, I have a better appreciation for LEOs after looking at some of this gear. To us uninitiated, we never think about all the stuff they have to carry around.

Absolutely!
I have occasionally chatted with a cop on duty at various events and asked what their belt equipment weighed. They usually said something on the order of 30 pounds or more. Just imagine the extra stress that puts on things like knees and ankles.

Of course, many soldiers have much more equipment to carry.

I’ve ordered a couple of belts from Bullhide Belts and they are built like a tank (if a tank was made from leather). They have nice thick gun belts as well as all kinds of others. Be careful, some of these are so wide they may not fit through your belt loops on your pants if you don’t measure first.

https://www.bullhidebelts.com

Edit: I just realized the belt I’m wearing right now is from Bullhide Belts.

Last edited:
How about Lowes or Home Depot. They have very large selections of work belts, many of which have clips and hanging pockets. They have carpenter's belts, contractor belts, etc. Some relatively inexpensive, others pricey. Good news is you can try them on and see how they feel.

OK, I bought a belt yesterday. :)

I got one of the mid-range models at Duluth Trading Co. It is made in USA, real leather, no painted on crap. One year warranty versus their pricier lifetime model.

I want to also thank the other suggestions. They were all excellent. My Duluth purchase does not invalidate the other excellent suggestions here. I like a lot of the tactical stuff too, it just wasn't the right time. I may still go in that direction in the future.

Northern Tool is close to Duluth in my neck of the woods and checked there too. Their quality was a bit less than Duluth and a lot looked like the paint-bonded stuff you find on Amazon, so I backed off.

I've never been in a Duluth store. DW hates their rude commercials, so I avoided them. Turns out I like their stuff. It is, uh, rugged. I'm going to wait for a sale to get some work pants. DW may just have to hold her nose when I decide to buy something there. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom